Forum upgrade this weekend

This sub forum is for discussion about the forum itself. FAQs, rules, issues, suggestions, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

Forum upgrade this weekend

Post by Gendo »

I'm going to try to upgrade to the latest version of phpBB tomorrow (2/20). The version we're on now is pretty old and that's bad. Best case scenario, that just means that the board will be unavailable for a few minutes and then everything will go back to working like normal.

Worst case scenario, I break everything and all content is lost forever. Um, that's extremely unlikely; I'll be sure to make backups and such.

The new version might have some UI differences, no idea.

Some stuff such as the spoiler tag, youtube tag, IMDB smileys, and post reply numbers are custom stuff that I added. So they might not be there immediately when the forum is first updated, but I'll get them all back.
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Forum upgrade this weekend

Post by Gendo »

Step one is done!

New version has been installed. Slight update to the looks; I think I like it better. Text and icons stand out more; looks cleaner.

The version that's here right now is the default latest version... no custom code. So now I need to work on adding back the special things I added. And I really don't remember what those were. Off the top of my head, I can think of these:

1) Spoiler tags and button to add spoiler tags.
2) YouTube tags and auto-embedding video when using YouTube tags.
3) Buttons to put in markup under the Quick Reply section.
4) Post reply numbers in threads.

Let me know if things seem to be working ok!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

It appears that if you go to the full post page instead of quick reply, Spoiler and YouTube buttons are still there. Interesting; not even sure how that's possible since I'm pretty sure I added those with custom code that shouldn't be there anymore. Testing them out here:

Nothing to see here.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQnz0fyKVA[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQnz0fyKVA
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Well spoilers work. Not so much YouTube videos.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Now that I think about it; avatars were on the left, right? I think that was also a custom change I made, to switch those around.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ah ok, the strikethrough, spoiler, and YouTube buttons were all added by me, but they were done in the board settings; so stuff that is saved in the database; that's why they're still there. Not sure why YouTube embedding doesn't work though.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Getting very close now. Markup icons in Quick Reply are back. Avatars on the left again. A few style updates that had been made before are back. YouTube embedding still not working for new posts; existing posts still show correctly.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Um, so for now it works as long as you have some character at the end of your link... so:

BAD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYgwOTZBBI
GOOD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYgwOTZBBI/
GOOD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYgwOT ... e=youtu.be
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ah, I also need to re-add some sort of bot prevention to the registration; already have 2 new accounts waiting to be activated.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Lol 15 new accounts now.

It's quiet around here; other people are able to post normally, right?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I'm able to post, I've just had a longer one for my Games thread I've been trying to figure out how to write up lol.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I gotta be honest I don't understand the change to YouTube tags. It seems even a lot of older YouTube tagged links don't work properly now.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:36 pm I gotta be honest I don't understand the change to YouTube tags. It seems even a lot of older YouTube tagged links don't work properly now.
Ah I actually hadn't noticed that; thought it was only for new posts. I see it now in the video games thread though. It'll be fixed, hopefully soon.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Does anyone care about the thing where it showed the reply number next to each post? If someone says they found it useful then I'll figure out how to put it back; but I'm not going to bother if no one cares.

Also, there's this "display and sorting options" thingy at the bottom of each post page. I don't think that was there in the old version; at least I never noticed it. Could be useful for some people.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ok so the good news is that most older posts which have YouTube links appear to be suddenly working now. I believe this is also part of the Cron task; it had to go through all the posts and re-parse the [YouTube] tags. It currently is only working for posts that do NOT have extra characters after the video id... so the opposite of what I listed above as good/bad. Haven't had a chance yet to look at getting both version to work.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Gendo wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:22 pm Lol 15 new accounts now.

It's quiet around here; other people are able to post normally, right?
For the first time in quite a while, I can access the forum through my home PC, so this is great!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Awesome! Actually kind of surprised that the forum migration would have fixed that, because I’d assume that the domain name itself would have been what was flagged.