It's time for this woman to go to prison.

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

It's time for this woman to go to prison.

Post by CashRules »

It's beyond time to even wonder how long she can be a bigot and still pretend to be the victim, the answer is "the rest of her life". Just send the blight on humanity to prison for the next 25 years and be done with it.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: It's time for this woman to go to prison.

Post by Gendo »

I'd much rather simply see her lose her job. I don't think that refusing to do the job you're being paid to do should be punished by jail time; you simply shouldn't get paid to do the job anymore. It's like if I stopped coming to work one day, and I simply said "I refuse to come into work anymore, because there's black people at the office." I shouldn't be arrested or fined for my bigotry; I should simply be fired.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

She's using her position as a government official to deny people their rights while directly and intentionally violating a court order. Twenty-five years should be the minimum. They no longer allow people to be tarred and feathered and then paraded through town for the children to throw rocks at them.
__
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I see in the article that it says that she can't be fired because she's an elected official. In which case I still maintain that she should be fired. Whatever laws are preventing her from being fired should be changed; she's just a person refusing to do what she's being paid to do.

*Edit* I guess I just don't think that government officials should be treated any different than any other people. Working for the government shouldn't be different than working for anyone else.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Something that Pope shared on Facebook:

I see a lot of bad arguments being made about Kim Davis.
First, it is entirely possible that violating the law is the correct moral thing to do...and a time-honored tradition of civil protest. That said, she needs to do her job under the law OR risk penalties and/or termination. That's what she's doing...so I'm hoping that they find her in contempt and that the county fires her.
Second, commenting on her divorces would only be relevant if she was claiming that they were done in accordance with her religion. The interview that I read has her becoming a Christian 4 years ago. It's trivial for her to acknowledge that her divorces were wrong and that she "got better".
There's some potential for hypocrisy there, but there's also plenty of room for her to point out her own redemption while exposing flawed reasoning and bigotry on the part of her detractors.
And then there are the comments on her looks.
Just stop.
She needs to do her job.
She needs to be educated on the correct application of religious freedom (because she has said some incredibly incorrect things on this subject).
She needs to be found in contempt of court.
She needs to be fired for refusing to do her job.
But if you go after her with bad arguments, you give ammunition to her supporters and shift the focus from the important to the unimportant.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

^For a moment there I thought you meant the actual Pope. [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Anakin McFly wrote:^For a moment there I thought you meant the actual Pope. [none]
I did too.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Gendo wrote:I see in the article that it says that she can't be fired because she's an elected official.
It's like that in Germany as well. Once you're a federal official, you can't be fired.
You can, however, have disciplinary hearings, and be forcefully relocated.

What I'd like to see (sort of) is that Kentucky did some development cooperation with Uganda, which might consist of officials being relocated to Uganda. Preferably officials who'd fit right there.
Uganda is predominantly Christian, with laws against homosexuality. What is Kim Davis waiting for?
#sendkimdavistouganda.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

Anakin McFly wrote:^For a moment there I thought you meant the actual Pope. [none]
I'm right here. I read these posts.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/0 ... s-custody/
Nyahahahahaaaaa. I mean, she'll be treated like a martyr over this but she's already being treated like a martyr.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Now if Jim Bob Duggar goes to prison for life the world will improve drastically.
__
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

aels wrote:http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/0 ... s-custody/
Nyahahahahaaaaa. I mean, she'll be treated like a martyr over this but she's already being treated like a martyr.
I kid you not, I've seen people say that she's just like Rosa Parks.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Also, I'm now just afraid to see all the stuff about "see, we've been trying to warn you that they would start jailing people for having Christian beliefs! This is the slippery slope of gay marriage that we've been talking about!"
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Poor persecuted Christians! What's the world coming to when they aren't able to persecute people that they don't like!?! It's an infringement on their God given rights!
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.