Movie I finally saw: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Movie I finally saw: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

I gave it a 7 on imdb, but it's closer to a 6.5 , maybe 6.7. Beautifully animated and engaging enough even if it's not a terribly original story. The only problem is it's told from the point of view of a horse. This wouldn't be a problem if the horse wasn't also the narrator, played by Matt Damon, and therefore the only animal that ever "talks". What irked me is the narration was unnecessary when all of the points being made could be told just through the horse's expressions & actions. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty bare bones narration, so kudos to them for balancing it out. However, It sometimes ndercuts a lot of what should be quiet, reflective moments because it's telling us how he feels rather than just showing us. That said, the expressions on the horses are well done and do convey a great deal of emotion, which I think is what helps kerp this movie together. I thought some of the songs they played worked, others didn't. Overall, I was entertained and I was able to appreciate it for what it was. I'd recommend it to others in terms of giving it a try.