Martin Shkreli

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Martin Shkreli

Post by Derived Absurdity »

We might disagree on some things here, but can we all at least agree that this guy deserves to die a slow, agonizing death? That if you combined Joffrey Baratheon and Donald Trump together, the person that would result could only wish to be even a quarter as douchey and sociopathic as this guy is? That he is the embodiment of every single thing wrong with human nature?

If there's one thing everyone here can agree on, it should be that.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Martin Shkreli

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

I have no idea who this is.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

The guy that bought the rights to Daraprim in August for $55million

He then raised the price of the drug from $13.50 per tablet to $750 per tablet saying his company 'needed to turn a profit'
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Now that I'm playing Bioshock, I think the world is heading more and more into that. At least I got to smash Ayn Rand's face with a crowbar.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:The guy that bought the rights to Daraprim in August for $55million

He then raised the price of the drug from $13.50 per tablet to $750 per tablet saying his company 'needed to turn a profit'
Oh, I'd heard about the hike, just didn't know that this was the guy responsible.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Dr_Liszt wrote:Now that I'm playing Bioshock, I think the world is heading more and more into that. At least I got to smash Ayn Rand's face with a crowbar.

Bioshock is all kinds of awesome - you playing the first one?

This is one game that definitely needs to be made into a movie
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I did some reading up a while ago and he's claimed that people who are uninsured or otherwise can't afford the drugs will get them free - about half the stock is apparently set aside for that, such that the main parties affected would be insurance companies, whom he says would be easily able to afford the costs given that these are for drugs that few people need.

If that's true, then he's less evil than portrayed (still a giant jerk, just not an evil one). I'm not sure whether he was telling the truth, but I'm sceptical when someone is portrayed as inhumanly evil and as a convenient target for everyone to be outraged at.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Dr_Liszt wrote:Now that I'm playing Bioshock, I think the world is heading more and more into that. At least I got to smash Ayn Rand's face with a crowbar.
It was a golf club. You're not playing Half Life you know. [none]
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

All this time I thought it was a crowbar. No wonder why I haven't found my gravity gun. [sad]
thesalmonofdoubt wrote:

Bioshock is all kinds of awesome - you playing the first one?

This is one game that definitely needs to be made into a movie
Yes. I'm escaping Atlas now. I am saving all the little girls because I want to play this game doing the opposite of what Ayn Rand would do.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

First time I played Bioshock through, I saved all the little sisters. I'm about to finish my second play through having killed them all. All this work, just to see a different ending cutscene.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Who is more evil: The person who plays an evil game, or those who made the game evil in the first place?
In this case, it's the possibility to dictate the price for a medicine.

Generics from India are available for a few cents (if the Wikipedia article I read is accurate); so people who need this drug should be able to buy it online.
If they can't do it, then it's a problem with regulations on online pharmacies. And apparently it's difficult to order cheap generics online, or Shkreli would not get away with demanding hundreds of dollars for a pill that costs a few cents to make.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Generics from India are available for a few cents (if the Wikipedia article I read is accurate); so people who need this drug should be able to buy it online.
I've no idea how it all works with regards to generics from India - as in whether there is an actual formally regulated side to their entire "cheaper than chips" drug industry. But here at least, we are actively discouraged from purchasing any drugs online like this given reports of an utter lack of regulation and QC. I don't really think there is any real excuse for Shkreli in this instance given my understanding that this is a drug that has been in use for sometime and is just being repurposed as an aids treatment.. the R&D costs should have well and truly been recouped and he is just taking advantage of a patient and trying to make money out of a lack of actual competition for his product under the pretence of investing in better drugs in the future.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I disagree!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'm with Anakin. I don't know all the facts, but it appears that it's at least possible if not likely that no people who needed this drug were hurt by this decision. That the only ones paying more money are the insurance companies, which are way more evil that most other companies. If that is the case, then I think this is another example of the internet finding out about a thing and jumping on the group hate bandwagon.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Insurance companies are indeed the most evil motherfuckers around. I've paid for car insurance for damn near ten years, getting fucked over every month by this same company for at least a grand a year, for no other reason than so the state would stop fining the shit out of me and suspending my license and issuing warrants for my arrest, and about a month ago I scratched a shitty old van while backing into a parking spot.

I did the right thing and left them a note and gave them my insurance company's info, so my insurance company finally had to pay out a tiny percentage of what I had been paying them for years and years, and what do they do? They send me a letter to tell me they're gonna jack up my rates. Fucking cunts.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I had the same insurance company for 12 years for my car/home. I had never made a claim until my kid totaled my car. They paid out the value of my car which like 6000 and then jacked my premium from 1200 every 6 months to 2500 every 6 months.

I dropped them instantly. I now know why people change insurance companies every couple of years.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

My car insurance is about $600 for the year [none]
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

So was mine...until my kid got her license. [none]
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

If I ever have kids, one thing I will not do is pay for their auto insurance. I may or may not buy them a car, but they're paying their own insurance; it's part of what you have to do if you want to drive.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

This guy has been arrested for securities fraud. Praise Jesus.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Halleluyarr!!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

The New Yorker said that his lawyer was hiking his fees 15,000%. [laugh]
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

^ That's the only part of his existence I'm angry about.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.