Fat Acceptance

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Fat Acceptance

Post by Cassius Clay »

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:Uh, no. But I brush my teeth while in the shower and people think I'm weird for it.
Stop lying. Everybody's weighed themselves after dropping a large one.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=pauwBE1Rxfw[/youtube]
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Whitey wrote:Essentially yes. If you're strong enough you can do it with no swing. I'm not at that stage yet(for my purposes swinging is acceptable). Even with swinging it's not easy.
Yeah, I thought you were talking about regular pull ups at first. So I was thinking you must be either reall weak or really heavy for a guy your size and fitness.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

I've never weighted myself after a dump.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I'm quite heavy for my size and fitness, the few other people at my gym who have muscle ups are generally 20kg lighter than me. I'd say I'm fairly strong as well though. Have some reasonably good 1 rep max lifts.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Dr_Liszt wrote:I've never weighted myself after a dump.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Whitey wrote:I'm quite heavy for my size and fitness, the few other people at my gym who have muscle ups are generally 20kg lighter than me. I'd say I'm fairly strong as well though. Have some reasonably good 1 rep max lifts.
What's your max bench? haven't lifted heavy in years. At my strongest I was able to do 100 pound dumbbell, incline presses for about six or 7 reps (thats a hundred in each hand)...and my one rep max bench was about 270. Strange thing is even though I don't lift heavy anymore I still feel quite strong. Like effortlessly so. I've heard that men keep getting stronger the older they get (obviously up to a certain point) even as they lose speed and agility. I'm starting to think that may be true.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Benching is something I actually barely ever do, it's my weakest lift. 95kg. I've been meaning to start working on it. Though that was last year i tested it, most of my lifts have gone up 20kg in the past year.

I have a 215kg deadlift, 170 kg back squat too. I think my legs are much stronger than my arms.

I've only been lifting for a year and a half so I'm fairly happy with those.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Whitey wrote:Benching is something I actually barely ever do, it's my weakest lift. 95kg. I've been meaning to start working on it. Though that was last year i tested it, most of my lifts have gone up 20kg in the past year.

I have a 215kg deadlift, 170 kg back squat too. I think my legs are much stronger than my arms.

This might sound odd, but work your back. It'll help your press on the lift as you can use those back muscles to push against the bench. It's essentially using Newton's third law.

I can finally do 2 reps at 135 lbs, and a combination of breathing and using that law that helped. And while I know that isn't much compared to many...let's just say I couldn't do a pushup when I started working out (last year). I can do 20 now, maybe 30.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I think the back thing is probably true because for the past couple years I've been doing upper back workouts way more than I ever did in the past (and shoulder-specific workouts) and I seem to be able to chest press a lot quite effortlessly...even though I don't lift heavy anymore.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:
Whitey wrote:I'm quite heavy for my size and fitness, the few other people at my gym who have muscle ups are generally 20kg lighter than me. I'd say I'm fairly strong as well though. Have some reasonably good 1 rep max lifts.
What's your max bench? haven't lifted heavy in years. At my strongest I was able to do 100 pound dumbbell, incline presses for about six or 7 reps (thats a hundred in each hand)...and my one rep max bench was about 270. Strange thing is even though I don't lift heavy anymore I still feel quite strong. Like effortlessly so. I've heard that men keep getting stronger the older they get (obviously up to a certain point) even as they lose speed and agility. I'm starting to think that may be true.
The shoulders are important too for that, because the weight itself is falling on them.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Whitey wrote:Benching is something I actually barely ever do, it's my weakest lift. 95kg. I've been meaning to start working on it. Though that was last year i tested it, most of my lifts have gone up 20kg in the past year.

This might sound odd, but work your back. It'll help your press on the lift as you can use those back muscles to push against the bench. It's essentially using Newton's third law.

I can finally do 2 reps at 135 lbs, and a combination of breathing and using that law that helped. And while I know that isn't much compared to many...let's just say I couldn't do a pushup when I started working out (last year). I can do 20 now, maybe 30.
I might try that, though my back is fairly strong already, I need to work my arms more.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Whitey wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:

I might try that, though my back is fairly strong already, I need to work my arms more.

How are yout at dips?
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I'm fairly decent on dips, though other than on the muscle ups I've been practicing, I've not done them for a while.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Whitey wrote:I'm fairly decent on dips, though other than on the muscle ups I've been practicing, I've not done them for a while.
What about negatives?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/chest-w ... -dips.html

Given your strength, you may need the weight belt.

If you have a spotter, you might try negative bench presses as well.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I do negatives occasionally. I mostly do whatever my gym's coach programmes, with olympic lift practice outside of that.

I think the thing which has helped me the most with strength has been doing Strongman style workouts. Sled pushes, sled pulls, tyre flips, pig flips(the pig is actually what we call this metal frame which you can stack weights on, then flip), farmers walks, yoke carries (Both on shoulders and overhead).

At the moment due to focussing on weight loss I don't expect my lifts to get better for the next few months, as trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time is fucking hard.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Whitey wrote:
At the moment due to focussing on weight loss I don't expect my lifts to get better for the next few months, as trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time is fucking hard.
Yeah, very difficult. I have been cutting for several months after putting on many lbs while trying to build muscle. Due to some wrist tenosynovitis, I had to stop lifting for a while and lost pretty much all my muscle tone (but kept the fat). I started some working out again about 2-3 months ago and made some gains, but I've stalled at this point and started to lose some strength. Luckily I managed to lose like 20-24lbs, so I'm ready to start bulking again.

Also, I have a bad shoulder (probably due to the same repetitive motions that cause my wrist problems) so dips are pretty much out the question for me, even though they're actually great for chest workouts.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

Bumped into Whitey at the gym, got some pics:

Whitey

Post by Whitey »

[none]

I refuse to even try those type of pullups as I do think they're dangerous.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

Yea lol you can basically see him fucking up his shoulders.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I think only people who actually have extremely well developed shoulders should be attempting them at all, and only then if they actually have a need to do them quick. Your average gym goer does not have that need for butterfly pullups.

If I'm going to fuck myself up I'll do it with a barbell. [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Whitey wrote:I think only people who actually have extremely well developed shoulders should be attempting them at all, and only then if they actually have a need to do them quick. Your average gym goer does not have that need for butterfly pullups.

If I'm going to fuck myself up I'll do it with a barbell. [none]
Ironically, it will probably be your shoulders that get fucked up. I recently had a hell of a bench press workout. While the muscles you use to lift are chest and triceps, all that weight is going to your shoulders (specifically the anterior).
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

True, I'm more saying that I tend to do bar work more than gymnastic movements, and I'm more comfortable with a bar, you're more likely to find me using a bar than hanging on a bar.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Whitey wrote:True, I'm more saying that I tend to do bar work more than gymnastic movements, and I'm more comfortable with a bar, you're more likely to find me using a bar than hanging on a bar.
I know. Just recounting my own experience.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I too am more comfortable with a bar: