Flix I seen

Gendo
Site Admin

Flix I seen

Post by Gendo »

Hanna - Great stuff. Visually awesome. Story was very basic, but had good emotion and action.

Sharknado - So very bad, so very awesome. Not quite awesome enough that I want to go see parts 2 or 3, but still awesome. And terrible. Such a bad movie. But you should watch it.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Re: Flix I seen

Post by Pope Bucky »

I enjoyed Hanna. She's like a primitive version of Summer from Firefly.

Sharknado. Bad. Fantastically bad. Watched the other two. Three was super bad. A parody of a parody.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

I absolutely hated Hanna lol.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Dredd (In 3D) - This was actually pretty good. It actually dealt less than the legal system than the original; was more just an action flick that takes place in a very interesting world. Actually quite Mad Max like. Not what I would call a remake of Judge Dredd, as it's a completely unrelated plot. The directing style was unique and visually interesting.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

The Hudsucker Proxy - Wow, pure greatness. An older Coen Brothers movie, dark comedy as usual. More on the comedic side. The whole style of the film was just great. Aside from being quite funny, I was just impressed with the whole presentation. It jumps to near the top of my Coen Brothers list.

Sleepers - Only took me about 20 years to finally see this. I didn't know much at all about it going in. Man it's depressing. But good. Very well done. Reminds me a bit of The Boondock Saints.

The Devil Wears Prada - So until today, I thought that this was actually literally about the devil. Like, I thought it was a lighthearted comedy / chick flick about Satan taking the form of a woman and going to work in the fashion industry. So yeah, turns out it's just about the fashion industry, and how everyone in it is a horrible person. Oh, and there's the blatant rape near the end where the main character tells her date "no, I've had too much to drink to have sound judgement", and he goes and sleeps with her anyway. Not that it was called out as rape or anything of course, they were much too busy glamorizing anorexia and ruthlessness.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

In Time - This was pretty great. I mean, at least it was entertaining, and presented a unique concept. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything. The social commentary was so over-the-top and in your face that it was funny. I dunno if that was intended or not, but it basically was like an episode of South Park. You know those episodes of South Park where they address a particular issue, but replacing that issue with some ridiculous thing and never mentioning the issue they're actually addressing? That's what this was.

For those who haven't seen it, the issue/message was basically Occupy Wall Street / We are the 99% / Capitalism is evil. The funniest part was towards the end where the rich guy just flat-out said "capitalism only works because the poor 99% believe they they too can be successful and rich if they try hard enough, even though all evidence shows otherwise". But of course without mentioning money or capitalism.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Well that dude's right. Maybe I should see it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Gendo wrote:In Time - This was pretty great. I mean, at least it was entertaining, and presented a unique concept. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything. The social commentary was so over-the-top and in your face that it was funny. I dunno if that was intended or not, but it basically was like an episode of South Park. You know those episodes of South Park where they address a particular issue, but replacing that issue with some ridiculous thing and never mentioning the issue they're actually addressing? That's what this was.

For those who haven't seen it, the issue/message was basically Occupy Wall Street / We are the 99% / Capitalism is evil. The funniest part was towards the end where the rich guy just flat-out said "capitalism only works because the poor 99% believe they they too can be successful and rich if they try hard enough, even though all evidence shows otherwise". But of course without mentioning money or capitalism.
That's the one where people have a government imposed limited amount of time to live but if you're rich you can lierally buy more, right?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Gendo wrote:In Time - This was pretty great. I mean, at least it was entertaining, and presented a unique concept. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything. The social commentary was so over-the-top and in your face that it was funny. I dunno if that was intended or not, but it basically was like an episode of South Park. You know those episodes of South Park where they address a particular issue, but replacing that issue with some ridiculous thing and never mentioning the issue they're actually addressing? That's what this was.

That's the one where people have a government imposed limited amount of time to live but if you're rich you can lierally buy more, right?
Yup. Basically in the future, time is the currency of the world. Through genetic engineering, everyone stops aging at age 25, and won't ever die due to any disease or natural causes. You get 1 year to live after the age of 25, but when you work, you get paid in time. When you buy stuff, you spend time. The richest of the rich can actually live for eternity.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

In a surprising twist, I watched a movie that I DON'T own.

Ex Machina - It was great. Creepy, suspenseful, well-made.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Whiplash - awesome music; awesome story. About music and passion and stuff. J. K. Simmons was amazing, as expected.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Fury - It was good. Very well done, powerful, etc. But not so much my type of movie. It was one of those movies that just shows a bunch of related events, but no real ongoing plot. Mostly about the characters, especially how Machine changes throughout.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Synecdoche, New York - Holy crap.... brilliantly written. Hoffman was amazing. Confusing as all hell. If you like Kaufman, you'll probably love it. I'm pretty sure that the film was saying something intelligent, but I haven't ruled out that the whole thing was just Kaufman screwing with his audience either.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

It was definitely both. And yes, Synecdoche, New York is definitely a masterpiece. One of the best movies ever written (because I've seen them all). Last I heard sikax hasn't seen it yet. He should remedy that.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Synecdoche, New York Michelle Williams really does too many artsy films that nobody really cares about watching. She's a talented actress and should be showing her tits, I mean her talent, to a bigger audience. Okay I can't remember if she showed her tits in this one or not, I might still be thinking about Shutter Island.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:It was definitely both. And yes, Synecdoche, New York is definitely a masterpiece. One of the best movies ever written (because I've seen them all). Last I heard sikax hasn't seen it yet. He should remedy that.
We.... we agree on a movie!!