I taught in this school for a year

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

I taught in this school for a year

Post by Cinemachinery »

Even I find my avatar disturbing.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Re: I taught in this school for a year

Post by Monk »

Can't watch the video right now and there's not much of a description. What happened?
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

I'm not sure of the background, it's just some poor substitute bearing up under some threatening kids. That school in particular is in a really troubled area with very little to no parental involvement, which is, hands-down, the major cause of this dynamic. The school itself is actually well funded and has a great program in place. But the minute the kids leave they're basically soloing it. No home re-enforcement, the parents don't care if the kids get in trouble, get shifted around, get held back. It's a fiasco.

The teachers end up taking the blame for this - it sucks.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

I saw that video in facebook and to me it looked like a really shitty teacher.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

The teacher did seem like a bit of a doormat. But not everyone is assertive or has the confidence to "lay down the law".

Or maybe she tried before and the kids escalated things much further so the video we're seeing is after she's been "broken".

We just don't know. It's difficult to draw any massive conclusions from one short video - other than that behaviour is unacceptable.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Dr_Liszt wrote:I saw that video in facebook and to me it looked like a really shitty teacher.
It's always easy to blame the teacher, but people forget that kids are cunts, and in this day and age of child safety, teachers can do fuck all to control children. You can't even grab their arm to stop them running out into the street without parents wanting to scream abuse. Meanwhile troubled kids are kicking and punching teachers, in some cases stabbing them and putting it on facebook, and it's all a giggle. Kids, they're fucking horrible [none]
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

It's always easy to blame the teacher, but people forget that kids are cunts, and in this day and age of child safety, teachers can do fuck all to control children.
This, and keep in mind that teacher is a substitute. If teachers are hand-tied with some of this stuff, you can consider substitutes hog-tied.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Naah man. There are some shitty teachers. I had an uncontrolled class too, granted it was an elementary school, but it had kids as old as 14 in it. They didn't listen to the teacher because she was shit, but they listened to me and my assistant.

And I'm a doormat and I was able to put the most vocal out of control kid to sat down on his chair. He still complained and crap but always from his seat, the little shit. By the end of the year they were cooperating with me.

All in all, this video popped up suspiciously after the video of the cop slamming the girl incident. Hmmmmm........ white people grasping for excuses to slam their minorities down?
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

Yeah I was just posting it to slam them minorities down. And, though I worked there and have offered some direct insight into the environment in that school (i.e. parents who just have no fucks to give and teachers tied down in their allowed responses) that woman being physically threatened is probably just a shitty teacher. What one sees in that video is a blight in Chicago, a common and ongoing problem dealt with by a teacher's union that handles class sizes of 40+ per instructor and sees school closures in poor areas, doubling student bodies with few new teacher hires. It's far from the only video depicting that type of behavior in this situation and area, as these are passed about by the news and city council non-stop in a debate on what to do about it in a state suffering one of the worst financial situations in the nation, and a city that has a low bond rating, can't pay its pensions and cannot afford more teachers. These videos were passed about before videos of white cops clamming black kids to the ground, and they'll be passed along long after, because this problem has fuck all to do with police brutality and everything to do with this city's shitty educational system.

But it's probably just a knee-jerk video share by white people.

Later dudes.