Slew of shows I'm binge watching

thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Slew of shows I'm binge watching

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Utopia British series as opposed to the Aussie fare by the same name.

Verdict - Most excellent if not a touch pretty fucking brutal - like brutal in a way that makes GOT seems like a kids show. 9/10

Plot

NGO called the Network set up years ago for a specific purpose and now operates as a law unto itself with a global agenda that is hidden in the pages of a graphic novel called "Utopia" .. there is a released version of "Utopia" and an unpublished second copy that falls in the hands of a helpless band of unrelated normal folk that slowly work out its secrets and systematically begin being hunted down by the Network.

Slick looking show, tight script, well snuff acted but no real stand outs. Two series of 6 episodes so its not much of a commitment to get in now.

Suits

Verdict - Very enjoyable Boston legal affair with better looking characters but the same formulaic slick scripting. Probably love this more than I really should but its pretty addictive stuff .. up to the 4th season now and its starting to get silly - hoping it hasn't jumped the shark. 7.5/10

Plot

High powered corporate closer in the most reputable legal firm in NYC hires a genius fraud as his associate who spends most of the show avoiding getting caught while simultaneously kicking arse as a pretend lawyer. Loads of sexual tension, Main power player is a black women who's well written as being neither mannish bitch or helpless female who rose to the top trading off her looks.. she's just smarter and slicker than everyone else in the show. I'm loving it so far but would understand if its a bit too generic for some.

Jessica Jones

Verdict - good dirty fun. Its a marvel nasty, and utterly enjoyable.. Only one season out but I liked what I've seen so far. 8/10

Plot

Jessica Jones is a damaged ex-super hero who's now a raging alcoholic running a detective agency. She has super strength but is venerable to bullets even tho she seems to heal faster than normal people. Emotionally, she's a mess after being screwed around by the main villain in the first series (David Tennant of Dr Who fame) Hooks up with a big black super hero - also under cover, also who possesses super strength but who is also bullet proof.

Nicely produced, way quirkier than the usual marvel fare, and grimmer than what you would expect - almost feel more like a DC show than marvel

Really like what I have seen so far - looking forward to the next season
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Slew of shows I'm binge watching

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Verdict - Most excellent if not a touch pretty fucking brutal - like brutal in a way that makes GOT seems like a kids show. 9/10
GOT already seems like a kids show. But yeah, that description = sold.

Jessica Jones is pretty excellent, especially for Marvel, which to me has produced nothing but shit so far. It has tight plotting, complex characters, an intriguing villain, some insane plot twists, and it has mature and realistic takes on some dark subject matter. There's also some good metaphorical underpinnings to parts of it, which is probably my favorite part - it's able to function well on the objective literal surface level and the metaphorical subtextual level without the two clashing into each other, which to me is the mark of a great show/movie.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

I get the feeling that you'd really enjoy utopia, it's certainly not standard fare No happy endings, the moral message is polarised to the point where what the bad guys are doing ultimately makes more sense than what the good guys are doing. Just watching the second last episode now, the second season is as good or better than the first.

Give it a shot - its not available on Netflicks (here at least, might be in the states) so, no idea how you would go about finding it given I am watching it on "Stan" which is kinda the Australian equivellent of netflicks.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I've heard really good things about it. I've heard it's similar to Black Mirror, which I liked, sort of.
Give it a shot - its not available on Netflicks (here at least, might be in the states) so, no idea how you would go about finding it given I am watching it on "Stan" which is kinda the Australian equivellent of netflicks.
There are ways. Oh, there are ways.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

^ I have every confidence in you are your ways !
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

I'd been dithering over whether or not to give Jessica Jones a try, but I think you may just have tipped the balance!

Obviously if I think it's shit I'll blame you, okay?
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I like Suits too. Harvey of course. He's hot in a white collar kind of way.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:I'd been dithering over whether or not to give Jessica Jones a try, but I think you may just have tipped the balance!

I expect nothing less - I really liked it, it's kinda got a Hancock vibe going on with more adult content and better writing - and because she is physically vulnerable in so much as she can get stabbed or shot - it feels less silly and more human. David Tennant is awesome as the villain who can get anyone to do anything he wants with absolutely no empathy for his actions at all. Drew me in from the first episode which is unusual for me.

Enjoy.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:I like Suits too. Harvey of course. He's hot in a white collar kind of way.
Almost everyone in the show is eye candy - Harvey is slick as a slick thing, bit of a douche but also essentially, a good guy.
I'm obsessed with Jessica - she's sassy, smart, gorgeous, killer style and usually one step ahead of everyone else. I'm also kinda obsessed with Donna for much the same reasons except she has no power and I'm a little thrown by her unrequited relationship with Harvey.

Their doing some weird, potentially "jump the shark" stuff with Lewis at the moment that I'd like them to tone down a bit going forward as its getting too silly/unrealistic for the general tone of the show.

But - man, this show is addictive
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:
OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:I'd been dithering over whether or not to give Jessica Jones a try, but I think you may just have tipped the balance!

I expect nothing less - I really liked it, it's kinda got a Hancock vibe going on with more adult content and better writing - and because she is physically vulnerable in so much as she can get stabbed or shot - it feels less silly and more human. David Tennant is awesome as the villain who can get anyone to do anything he wants with absolutely no empathy for his actions at all. Drew me in from the first episode which is unusual for me.

Enjoy.
You're alright - I've just watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it. [biggrin]
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

phew
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:Utopia British series as opposed to the Aussie fare by the same name.

Plot

NGO called the Network set up years ago for a specific purpose and now operates as a law unto itself with a global agenda that is hidden in the pages of a graphic novel called "Utopia" .. there is a released version of "Utopia" and an unpublished second copy that falls in the hands of a helpless band of unrelated normal folk that slowly work out its secrets and systematically begin being hunted down by the Network.

Slick looking show, tight script, well snuff acted but no real stand outs. Two series of 6 episodes so its not much of a commitment to get in now.

Suits

Verdict - Very enjoyable Boston legal affair with better looking characters but the same formulaic slick scripting. Probably love this more than I really should but its pretty addictive stuff .. up to the 4th season now and its starting to get silly - hoping it hasn't jumped the shark. 7.5/10

Plot

High powered corporate closer in the most reputable legal firm in NYC hires a genius fraud as his associate who spends most of the show avoiding getting caught while simultaneously kicking arse as a pretend lawyer. Loads of sexual tension, Main power player is a black women who's well written as being neither mannish bitch or helpless female who rose to the top trading off her looks.. she's just smarter and slicker than everyone else in the show. I'm loving it so far but would understand if its a bit too generic for some.

Jessica Jones

Verdict - good dirty fun. Its a marvel nasty, and utterly enjoyable.. Only one season out but I liked what I've seen so far. 8/10

Plot

Jessica Jones is a damaged ex-super hero who's now a raging alcoholic running a detective agency. She has super strength but is venerable to bullets even tho she seems to heal faster than normal people. Emotionally, she's a mess after being screwed around by the main villain in the first series (David Tennant of Dr Who fame) Hooks up with a big black super hero - also under cover, also who possesses super strength but who is also bullet proof.

Nicely produced, way quirkier than the usual marvel fare, and grimmer than what you would expect - almost feel more like a DC show than marvel

Really like what I have seen so far - looking forward to the next season

I loved David Tennant as Kilgrave. They had a moment where I did kind of sympathize with him, but all other instances showed that whatever excuses he had, there were no justifications for his action.

As for Suits, I've kept up and the law has finally caught up to Mike. I really don't see how he or Pearson Spectre Litt are getting out of this.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

David Tennant was reasonably charismatic in a completely sociopathic sort of way. I did like how they engineered our sympathies for him then changed that entire narrative by revealing the actual truth behind his childhood.. then gave him a path to redemption that was entirely motivated by his wanting to be with Jessica revealing him to be just as sociopathic as you initially thought .. Really good show and I'm looking forward to the next series.

Also finished watching Utopia - show did not disappoint.. Love the way it finished up and the complexity of the narrative .. definitely worth a watch.