Watched a show called 'Penny Dreadful'

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Watched a show called 'Penny Dreadful'

Post by Cassius Clay »

Signed up for a free month of Showtime and just randomly started watching Penny Dreadful for some reason. Wasn't really planning on watching it but it turned out to be more intriguing than I initially thought.

I was surprised 'cause it's not really my type of show. It's very gothy (not in an emo way, thankfully). Main character (played by Eva Green) is like a Victorian era Jessica Jones(brooding/stoic/mysterious yet vulnerable raven-haired white woman with pale skin, big eyes and a tiny face that likes to wear dark colors). There also are classic literary characters on the show. I really enjoyed the tone of the show and liked the characters.

8.5/10
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Watched a show called 'Penny Dreadful'

Post by Cassius Clay »

And a lot of characters Johnny Depp has played would fit in quite well on this show. Ichabod Crane, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands, John Wilmot from 'The Libertine', the detective in 'From Hell', etc.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I like Penny Dreadful. One of the only shows I've been buying on blu ray. Timothy Dalton is pretty ace and I like the relationship between Frankenstein and his creation. At some point or another, every character is sympathetic and villainous.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yes Timothy Dalton is awesome in it. He's like a mix of Liam Neeson and Patrick Stewart.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I give it 9/10 for both seasons. I think it is a unique take on certain fairytales...Grimm style fairytales that is. I would totally do Greene and if Harnett wanted to join in I wouldn't say no.

I really like how the left season 2 also, there was speculation as to if it was going to run a 3rd season so the writers ended season 2 with the chance of there being no 3. I won't say more as I am not sure if you've seen both seasons yet.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It's all good. I binged both seasons already.

And I liked the ending of season 2 as well. It was like the family breaking up and going on their own journeys...sad yet fitting...an ending yet a potential beginning.
Last edited by Cassius Clay on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

My favorite element is Frankenstein's monster exploring his humanity.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yep. It's unsettling, tragic, and funny all at the same time.

I'm curious about which classic character is going to show up next. My money's on either Sherlock Holmes or Dr Jekyll.

I also like how Dorian Gray is portrayed....how subtle and sinister the nature of his evil is.....while all this time appearing as a harmless young lad that just wants to have fun.