Zootopia in IMAX

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Zootopia in IMAX

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

One of the perks of being single & not having kids, a little more freedom in paying for the premium movie formats.

That said, they just played Deadpool beforehand so the evil part of me is hoping they'll start the wrong movie/show the wrong trailer. But I know the consumer part of me will be really miffed if they do.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Zootopia in IMAX

Zootopia - incredibly creative & well thought out Buddy movie with a bit of conspiracy and an overarching theme of overcoming prejudice, whether it comes from the outside or from within. The animation is incredibly fast and detailed without being slapsticky or going for the lowest common denominator. The message isn't preachy, and for a movie meant for everyone, there are some tough scenes to watch (relatively speaking) 8.5/10
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

how much nudity is there
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:how much nudity is there
About 5 straight minutes.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

sold
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:sold
I will say I don't know about these funny feelings I developed for Gazelle, voiced by Shakira [none].
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

With a current score of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a relatively early release date, I'm going to say it will be this year's The Lego Movie in terms of Oscar Snubs.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

So what I'm getting from reactions to this movie is that it tries to tackle racism by allegorizing the oppressed races/cultures/whatever as literal predators. Like, they're actually predators. That sounds like an interesting choice to take.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:So what I'm getting from reactions to this movie is that it tries to tackle racism by allegorizing the oppressed races/cultures/whatever as literal predators. Like, they're actually predators. That sounds like an interesting choice to
That's really only when one event in the movie kicks off this bias, as it's believed that these predators could go "savage". It creates an environment of social stigma for these predators. But throughout the movie, our leads face down their own stigmas.

What the theme really is is that prejudice is prejudice, whether you mean it or are ignorant of your own. There's a scene in which the bunny cop's own prejudices truly come out and that's what sets off what you describe.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I dunno

I'm gonna watch it tho
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:I dunno

I'm gonna watch it tho
Everyone should. Can't wait to hear how much you think this one sucks [tongue]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

You of course know why the bunny cop has such trouble getting respect on the force, right?

she had to break the grass ceiling.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I can't tell wait to tell you all how much I think it sucks.

2 B serious, tho, if it's not better than Fury Road + Nightcrawler + How to Train Your Dragon, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:I can't tell wait to tell you all how much I think it sucks.

2 B serious, tho, if it's not better than Fury Road + Nightcrawler + How to Train Your Dragon, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
I don't know how at ease this will put your mind, but it was co-directed by Byron Howard (Tangled) and Richard Moore (Wreck-it Ralph).
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Cool. I like Tangled and I haven't seen Wreck-it-Ralph but it's supposed to be good too.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

And Alan Tudyk, though in a minor role, always amazes me with his versatility in his voices.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Wreck-it-Ralph was awesome.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

BruceSmith78 wrote:Wreck-it-Ralph was awesome.
In part due to Alan Tudyk. But defiitely robbed.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Derived Absurdity wrote:So what I'm getting from reactions to this movie is that it tries to tackle racism by allegorizing the oppressed races/cultures/whatever as literal predators. Like, they're actually predators. That sounds like an interesting choice to take.
It's not that straightforward - the predators are also at the same time presented as society's elite, and there are a few scenes that are clearly referencing sexism. So the predators can be seen as black men and the prey as white women, and you have the two groups oppressing and being oppressed by each other in different ways. And then the casting mixes it up even more, so you have someone like Idris Elba voicing a prey character, and it's great.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Anakin McFly wrote:
Derived Absurdity wrote:So what I'm getting from reactions to this movie is that it tries to tackle racism by allegorizing the oppressed races/cultures/whatever as literal predators. Like, they're actually predators. That sounds like an interesting choice to take.
It's not that straightforward - the predators are also at the same time presented as society's elite, and there are a few scenes that are clearly referencing sexism. So the predators can be seen as black men and the prey as white women, and you have the two groups oppressing and being oppressed by each other in different ways. And then the casting mixes it up even more, so you have someone like Idris Elba voicing a prey character, and it's great.
Idris Elba is easily one of the best parts of the movie, though that goes without saying.