New milestone reached

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

New milestone reached

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Deadlifted 135 lbs with ease & had a one rep max of 235.

I weigh 188 last I checked.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: New milestone reached

Post by Cassius Clay »

One rep of 235 is very good, especially while weighing 188. When did you start lifting?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:One rep of 235 is very good, especially while weighing 188. When did you start lifting?
About one and a half years ago.

Deadlifts have been my biggest obstacle along with pullups. I do have a trainer through my gym (god awful expensive but worth the investment for me). I had a lot of trouble just with the 135 weight until actually fairly recently.

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, trainer two of those times. He has me doing this one crazy workout on my own time: 20-30 minutes on the treadmill then deadlifts, narrow grip pullups (I've added wide grip arm hangs & neutral pullups into that same set), and walking lunges. For that workout, I'll match the 135 weight & maybe go a little higher, but won't do as many reps. I did that for just a month. And now I can go into 135 with no problem and a 235 one rep max.

Another thing that helped are the classes I take. On Sunday, I do both Body Pump and Body Flow. Body Pump is mostly cardio using lighter weights, but I think I gain a lot of endurance from that class. I take body flow for the stretch and balance (the latter of which I've actually taken some of what I used and found it applicable to deadlifting).
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I haven't done deadlifts since high school. Why are you interested in them...as in, what are the benefits that you couldn't get with other workouts? Core? Legs? Arms? Or is it the fact that you're using all those muscles together?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:I haven't done deadlifts since high school. Why are you interested in them...as in, what are the benefits that you couldn't get with other workouts? Core? Legs? Arms? Or is it the fact that you're using all those muscles together?
Pretty much the last. I've been told those along with the other two will give me a good base so to speak for all other things, which is what I really need. I'll get more power for other exercises that will help me in other areas I might be a little weak because of that base.

And keep in mind those dead lifts are only two days. One with the trainer & the other on my own. The other day with the trainer is anything goes as is the other day by myself if I do 5. I try to cover what I don't do with the trainer.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I stopped doing regular deadlifts and just do Romanians/squats (alternating days, of course). I hate lower body workouts, but I'm forcing myself to do them these days.

Also, 4-5 times a week? Are you doing weightlifting each of those days, or some days only cardio? Otherwise, that's a helluva lot of weightlifting, and might be impeding any gainzzz.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Gainzzz? Been watching Hodgetwins?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Monk wrote:I stopped doing regular deadlifts and just do Romanians/squats (alternating days, of course). I hate lower body workouts, but I'm forcing myself to do them these days.

Also, 4-5 times a week? Are you doing weightlifting each of those days, or some days only cardio? Otherwise, that's a helluva lot of weightlifting, and might be impeding any gainzzz.
Monday & Wednesday are my days with the trainer. It's usually lifting, but he likes to throw some HIIT into the mix.

Friday or saturday is my "crazy" workout: 20-30 minute cardio. Then deadlifts, pullups, & walking lunges.

Saturday is cardio if I do the crazy friday. Depending on time constraints, I might switch the deadlifts to this day & cardio.

Sunday is different kind of crazy day. I take two classes. Body Pump & Body Flow. While the former does use weights, it's closer to cardio & maybe muscle endurance. I use Body Flow to stretch because what they have at Body Pump is not enough.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:Gainzzz? Been watching Hodgetwins?

Nah, that's just a common phrase used by weightlifers/bodybuilders. I was mostly being facetious. Though the Hodgetwins seems like an interesting duo to watch. I do occasionally watch youtube videos for tips and proper form. I read their routine, though, and I wasn't particularly a fan of it.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote: Monday & Wednesday are my days with the trainer. It's usually lifting, but he likes to throw some HIIT into the mix.

Friday or saturday is my "crazy" workout: 20-30 minute cardio. Then deadlifts, pullups, & walking lunges.

Saturday is cardio if I do the crazy friday. Depending on time constraints, I might switch the deadlifts to this day & cardio.

Sunday is different kind of crazy day. I take two classes. Body Pump & Body Flow. While the former does use weights, it's closer to cardio & maybe muscle endurance. I use Body Flow to stretch because what they have at Body Pump is not enough.
Ah, k. I've recently switched to Fierce 5 routine, which is only 3x a week.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =159678631

Only been working it a month or so, but I'm already seeing some improvements and it's open to substitutions (e.g. I never have done pendlay rows). I like that it focuses on pull over push, which strengthens the back a lot and prevents injury (and I recently destroyed my left shoulder over-doing a bench). Kinda depends on what you want though. I hate cardio, but enjoy weight training, so I don't do any HIIT either. I find this is better for gaining muscle.

In other news, I just hit my record for romanian deadlifts...only for some dude who is literally in his 70s do 10lbs heavier than me. Fucking senior citizens are stronger than me.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Monk wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote: Monday & Wednesday are my days with the trainer. It's usually lifting, but he likes to throw some HIIT into the mix.

Ah, k. I've recently switched to Fierce 5 routine, which is only 3x a week.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =159678631

Only been working it a month or so, but I'm already seeing some improvements and it's open to substitutions (e.g. I never have done pendlay rows). I like that it focuses on pull over push, which strengthens the back a lot and prevents injury (and I recently destroyed my left shoulder over-doing a bench). Kinda depends on what you want though. I hate cardio, but enjoy weight training, so I don't do any HIIT either. I find this is better for gaining muscle.

In other news, I just hit my record for romanian deadlifts...only for some dude who is literally in his 70s do 10lbs heavier than me. Fucking senior citizens are stronger than me.

I'm more interested in strength than bulk. I will say it was only a month ago or so I was still having trouble with deadlifts. So, that cardio to deadlifts has helped me tremendously.

I also know how you feel. The Body Pump class I take has a ton of cute women who can last longer than me....in all seriousness, most women their have heavier weights & by the end I can't lift 15 lbs ovee my head.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Bulk without much strength comes from high reps (10-15) with moderately heavy weights. 1-2 reps is more for strength without bulk, while 5-8 is in between
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Monk wrote:Bulk without much strength comes from high reps (10-15) with moderately heavy weights. 1-2 reps is more for strength without bulk, while 5-8 is in between
Interesting. I always heard something a little different but searching, I see you're right. I seem to he getting a good mix.
Cassius Clay wrote:Core?
I forgot to add I get this through the body pump & body flow.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Most compound exercises work the core hard (back and especially front squats, deadlifts, pull ups, overhead press, etc). I rarely even bother doing ab workouts anymore other than some leg raises and maybe ab wheel.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Bodybuilding is super-gay.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It's only gay if you feel like you're cumming while doing it.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I hate getting older and losing strength is one of the worst parts. I used to easily climb the steps to the barn loft with a fifty pound sack of feed over each shoulder. Now I leave that to the lesbians.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Monk wrote:Most compound exercises work the core hard (back and especially front squats, deadlifts, pull ups, overhead press, etc). I rarely even bother doing ab workouts anymore other than some leg raises and maybe ab wheel.
I do light ab work out as part of my warm up fof the deadlifts.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

CashRules wrote:I hate getting older and losing strength is one of the worst parts. I used to easily climb the steps to the barn loft with a fifty pound sack of feed over each shoulder. Now I leave that to the lesbians.
They sound pretty butch [none]