Left Behind

Gendo
Site Admin

Left Behind

Post by Gendo »

So last night I noticed that someone put the new Left Behind up on Youtube, so I watched it. Definitely the best way to watch it because 1) it was free, and 2) it was slightly sped up to avoid being detected and taken down, making the movie shorter than normal.

Anyway, that was just weird. So I'm actually a fan of the books, but this movie had so very little to do with the book it was crazy. The entire movie is more like a disaster film, just focusing on 1 group of people trying to survive the immediate aftermath of the rapture. There's absolutely none of the important plot from the books. I really think they would have been much better off if they had just changed the main characters around a bit... having them be the same main characters from the books was just very distracting considering that it wasn't the same story at all.

Similarly, they kept randomly throwing in the whole preachy message of the books, which felt very out of place for the movie. I mean, in the books and in the Kirk Cameron version it works, or at least makes sense, because they exist completely for the purposes of preaching to the reader. But here you just have your typical 2012 type disaster film, and despite the disaster in question being a "Biblical event" the movie as a whole doesn't have much to do with Christianity. Or it wouldn't except that they randomly throw in a few lines and scenes that show that the characters are angry at God or whatever. But it's just so out of place.

Anyway, it wasn't good, obviously. But it was entertaining in its own way. I just think they should have figured out what type of movie they were trying to make.. an average/mediocre disaster film, or a movie version of the book, which is a preachy Christian story.