If you are an American and you see a cop...

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

If you are an American and you see a cop...

Post by CashRules »

...and you don't immediately think "armed criminal" then there is seriously something wrong with your ability to pay attention to what the fuck is going on in this country. The myth of the "good cop" needs to go away. You'll meet Jesus, Santa Claus and Peter Pan long before you ever meet a good cop. Goddamnit, Philando Castile had a concealed carry permit and told the officer he was legally armed and waited for the murdering piece of shit to give him permission to reach for his ID and was still shot four fucking times while still seated in his car with his seatbelt on. There is no possible way that fucking low-life cop could have felt he was in any danger. Alton Sterling was on the ground and restrained and a racist thug cop intentionally shot him in the head with the barrel of the gun less than an inch away when he fired. Also, racist fuckwits are trying to claim it's not about race because of one isolated incident where a white autistic child was killed by a black cop who is currently being investigated for murdering the child and trying to murder the father due to a personal grudge. I hate the fucking world. Blue lives don't matter for shit and it should be legal to shoot these mother-fuckers for the crime of being a cop.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Boomer
Super Poster

Re: If you are an American and you see a cop...

Post by Boomer »

It's fun asking proponents of the good cop myth to provide evidence of good cops stopping bad cops in the act. If you're in to mental gymnastics routines, that is.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Boomer wrote:It's fun asking proponents of the good cop myth to provide evidence of good cops stopping bad cops in the act. If you're in to mental gymnastics routines, that is.
This is why I'm a proponent of the neutral cop. Isn't a bad cop per se, but won't go out of his way to stop another cop.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

But wouldn't a cop who does not stop a crime just be a bad cop by definition? It's kind of their job, after all.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Boomer wrote:It's fun asking proponents of the good cop myth to provide evidence of good cops stopping bad cops in the act. If you're in to mental gymnastics routines, that is.
This is why I'm a proponent of the neutral cop. Isn't a bad cop per se, but won't go out of his way to stop another cop.
Commissioner Gordan in The Dark Knight Trilogy.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Boomer wrote:But wouldn't a cop who does not stop a crime just be a bad cop by definition? It's kind of their job, after all.
Bad at his job maybe, but I don't think that is the context in which we are using "good" vs "bad".
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

If you're supposed to keep law and order and be a defender of the peace and you choose not to stop another cop from committing a crime when you could you are both a bad cop and a bad person.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Derived Absurdity wrote:If you're supposed to keep law and order and be a defender of the peace and you choose not to stop another cop from committing a crime when you could you are both a bad cop and a bad person.
Agreed.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:If you're supposed to keep law and order and be a defender of the peace and you choose not to stop another cop from committing a crime when you could you are both a bad cop and a bad person.
This assumes a)you realize a crime is being commtted by a cop & b)you have the presence of mind to shoot a brother in arms.

That's not to say the ones described shouldn't be held accountable but officers only have seconds if that long to decide how to handle a situation & when the perpetrator is another cop that just makes things even more conflicting.

The only way to guarantee any path for a good cop to exist by the standards you set is if you become a cop yourself.

[edit]
And does lack of legal obligation over ability to stop crime mean those who don't stop crime aren't bad people as they don't have the same impetus as cops? Or are they just as bad for having the same capability as cops but not acting as such?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Did anyone see this BS?

https://www.facebook.com/loudounsheriff ... 4296131628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:Did anyone see this BS?

https://www.facebook.com/loudounsheriff ... 4296131628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You also shouldn't wear revealing clothing that may entice the officer. [none]
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Every time I turn on the news I see something else that makes me think America has got that bit worse - and that's not from a great starting place. I used to live in America and I still travel there from time to time. I love what America can be, but then I only really see a small section of it - the "nice, safe tourist/business friendly" areas. When you watch the politics, the institutional racism, the haves versus the have-nots... it's all getting worse, day after day after day with no end in sight...

It can't carry on like this. It's fucking itself up. And I fear the outcome won't be a social revolution where suddenly more is done to help the less well off, but the formalisation of an underclass that is legally kept "in their place" with naked force and brutality.

It's all very depressing really.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

And I fear the outcome won't be a social revolution where suddenly more is done to help the less well off, but the formalisation of an underclass that is legally kept "in their place" with naked force and brutality.
Agreed. I'm just glad we're not at that point yet.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I really hope the proponents of the "more guns = safety" line have the scope to appreciate the parallels between defending one's self from terrorism/random criminals and the genocide of the American black in consideration of self defense against police/general systemic oppression.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
the_dork_lord
Super Poster

Post by the_dork_lord »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."
Anus.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Not a bad article. He gets the part about adding violent ingredients leading to a violent country right.

On the other hand... I don't know if it was intentional, but his first paragraph is wrong.
Shaun King wrote:Please allow me to teach you how to bake a cake from scratch. The recipe has just seven ingredients and it's pretty hard to mess up.
It's pretty easy to mess up. He doesn't specify the size of the cups; which is a problem since there are cups in many different sizes; but tea spoons usually are equally sized. And he does not say what temperature scale he uses. I'm guessing Fahrenheit. But if someone in Europe tried to bake a cake at 350°, they'd be very disappointed with the result afterwards (unless they want to create a coal-based work of art).

But the reason I believe this ambiguity might be intentional is that he does not give a recipe to fix the problems in the USA. He names the ingredients that create violence; but he does not specify how to fix it. Maybe... because there is no simple recipe.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/us/cops-pay-bill-trnd/

While I might not completely agred with the sentiments of the thread I will admit I couldn't help but think "Well police can murder blacks, but hey, at least they might pay your bill if you show how scared uou are of them."
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

And another two, almost back to back, in those cases entirely innocent and unarmed.

wtf is wrong with people?