Fuck you 2016

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Fuck you 2016

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Fuck you 2016

Post by Derived Absurdity »

People are going to be really disappointed when it gets to 2017 and celebrities keep dying.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:People are going to be really disappointed when it gets to 2017 and celebrities keep dying.
I don't think it's just them dying. It's the rate.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Yeah it's taken 4 in three days, and a shitload since January.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Well - Rate and calibre and age of the deaths of those involved. I've lived thru a few years of celebrities dying but I can't remember ever living thru this many surprise deaths - like Robin Williams, Prince, George Michael, Even Carrie was surprising in that she had a fatal heart attack at 60. I'm perfectly happy to write it all down to saturated media feeds and the like but this year does feel like we lost a whole bunch celebrities that no one really expected to pop their clogs.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The worst thing about 2016 is that Henry Kissinger is still alive.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I get the impression that people are hastily trying to leave the planet before Trump ascends to his throne.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The only reason Fidel Castro died is because he was trying to destroy America all his life, but after Trump was elected he could see that we took care of it all on our own, so he felt he could finally go in peace.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:Well - Rate and calibre and age of the deaths of those involved. I've lived thru a few years of celebrities dying but I can't remember ever living thru this many surprise deaths - like Robin Williams, Prince, George Michael, Even Carrie was surprising in that she had a fatal heart attack at 60. I'm perfectly happy to write it all down to saturated media feeds and the like but this year does feel like we lost a whole bunch celebrities that no one really expected to pop their clogs.
Robin Williams was 2014. But yes, 2016 certainly feels like it's been worse. I'm sure part of it is the human impulse to recognize patterns in randomness, but part of it could be objective too.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Plus the deaths happened either side of Brexit and the US election, so the feeling is not just 'Man, a lot of people died in 2016' but 'Oh dear, it appears this year is actively working against us'.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

And now Debbie Reynolds. The fuck 2016?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

It's taking entire families now!!
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Carrie: Can I have just one day to myself, mother?

Debbie: Okay, but that's it!

Yeah, too soon, but it will never work again.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:And now Debbie Reynolds. The fuck 2016?

Did not see that one coming
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Statistical analysis on 2016 celebrity deaths: https://medium.com/@jasoncrease/was-201 ... .rhj7wflgf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It concludes that 2016 was indeed worse for celebrity deaths, it's not just perception.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Question for the board: have any of the celebrity deaths this year emotionally affected you in a significant way? I honestly can't think of the last time I was emotionally affected by the death of a celebrity since George Carlin died in 2008. The only ones that came close this year to affecting me on a gut level were Harper Lee and Muhammad Ali.

I can't even think off the top of my head of any famous people whose death would have an emotional impact on me. I'm not sure what that says about me...
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

The deaths of a few Country Music celebrities affected me because I knew them and they weren't just famous people who sang songs. Mindy McCready's was the most difficult for me because we had been friends. When she died I felt guilty for not having talked to her for several years. Waylon Jennings' death was a bad one because he's my favorite singer of all time (and should be everybody's favorite).
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I was really much more affected by Bowie's death than I expected to be. The last celebrity death to upset me before that was Terry Pratchett's, which wasn't so bad as he was known to be dying.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I've touched on this before, but the short answer is no. I don't know any of these people or feel a connection to them. People die of natural causes every day and I am not emotionally affected.

I will say Robin Williams' death had some emotional impact on me, not because I liked him or his movies, or because he was famous, but because he was struggling with depression and committed suicide. He could have been named John Black and been a farmer from Ohio for all I care, just the circumstances of his death were what saddened me.

I guess Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds was pretty sad too, when I think about how hard that must be for the rest of their family, but I haven't spent much time thinking about that.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

that's what I think
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

"That's a shame"

That's about as far as I got with any of them.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I was sad about Alan Rickman because I enjoyed him as an actor and actually looked forward to seeing movies with him in them. But I guess that's not quite what you would call personal.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Derived Absurdity wrote:Question for the board: have any of the celebrity deaths this year emotionally affected you in a significant way? I honestly can't think of the last time I was emotionally affected by the death of a celebrity since George Carlin died in 2008. The only ones that came close this year to affecting me on a gut level were Harper Lee and Muhammad Ali.

I can't even think off the top of my head of any famous people whose death would have an emotional impact on me. I'm not sure what that says about me...
Guess it depends on the extent of the emotional impact. I don't really understand being devastated by anyone's passing that you don't personally know.. I get how people can be affected given celebrities do enter into peoples lives in a variety of ways, but the sort of wringing of hands/gnashing teeth open weeping thing mystifies me, I mean, I don't care and people can react to anything anyway they feel appropriate, but, I just don't relate. Having said that, I'm just not a particularly emotional person so, I just put it down to that rather than everyone else being nongs.

I absolutely loved David Bowies music but hearing that he passed was more surprising than it was devastating. It wasn't happy and I did spend my day playing his old songs just to reminisce.. Did the same for George Michael which probably had less of an impact on me than David Bowie.

The last time I remember being genuinely sad that a celebrity died was when Douglas Adams passed because I've never read anything from anyone can came near to how he turned a phrase or conveyed an idea with that level of clarity .. I imagine if Bill Bryson died I'd react in a similar way, so I guess, my reaction is based on knowing that there will never be any new material coming directly from the brains of certain people direct to me that I will be able to read fresh..

Having said that - its not like I shed a tear or changed my day in any way, it was just a keenly felt loss and authors, to me, are a whole different kettle of fish from actors or singers because I get more involved and feel more personally connected to someone who I read than someone who acts or sings.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Anton Yelchin. Partly because he's the same age as me, and it was such a random, horrifying way to go, plus completely unexpected. He had his whole life and career ahead of him. It was also before Star Trek: Beyond came out, and seeing interviews with his costars kind of in shock and devastated about his death also got to me, especially when they're usually a cheerful bunch.

I was a bit sad about Alan Rickman, but he's at least lived many years and left a long legacy.

Other than that, there are only a few celebrities whose deaths would likely affect me significantly, because they were a fixture in my growing-up years and had a personal impact on my life, and whose work indirectly introduced me to some of my best friends today.