Evesdropping on a fascinating coversation bout bears in schools

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Evesdropping on a fascinating coversation bout bears in schools

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

Couple co-workers are having a rousing debate on what a school is supposed to do if a grizzly were to wander in at some point during the school day. I can only assume this was sparked by our most recent cabinet appointment and her comment about needing guns to stop grizzly bears breaking into schools.

I'm not sure there is anyone less qualified to have this conversation than those two considering we live in Northern Illinois and the day a grizzly walks into one of our schools, we will have already lost the world to the apes.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Evesdropping on a fascinating coversation bout bears in schools

Post by Raxivace »

When I was in middle school, we once went on lockdown for several hours because someone decided he just had plain had enough that day and tried to escape. Never found out what happened to him.

When I was in college we went on lockdown because of reports of someone with a "long gun" on the campus. Nothing ended up happening, and all the students basically made fun of it. Several weeks later Sandy Hook happened and it wasn't so funny anymore.

The idea of a bear threat however is hilarious- I'd imagine most schools would just have everyone hiding out in classrooms as in the above two scenarios.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I'd imagine someone could call animal control to come collect the bear. Maybe these grizzly schools have no doors they can close or something.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

All of this just confirms what Colbert had been saying about bears for ages:http://www.cc.com/video-clips/f0uh68/th ... ar-edition
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I work in a school and the only wildlife we need to worry about in my part of the world is seagulls. You should worry about seagulls though because seagulls don't feel fear or pity and are prone to a genetic condition known as being 'completely bastard mental'.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

SHOTGUNS FOR CORNWALL, BECAUSE SEAGULLS!
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
the_dork_lord
Super Poster

Post by the_dork_lord »

I would probably play dead. I have a lot of experience doing that during sixth period.
Anus.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

You know, this grizzlies attacking schools is a serious threat. Just look at this map:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... is_map.svg

See that? As many as 0.0001% of the schoolchildren in the U.S. may be in danger of a grizzly bear attack at any time. I mean, just think of all those innocent children going to school IN THE MIDDLE OF YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK and the huge urban areas of western Montana. There's even a population of 10 - 12 grizzlies in northwestern Washington. Won't somebody please think of the children? Everybody in Alaska (all 25 of them) is born with a rifle in one hand and a skinning knife in the other so no need to worry about them anyway.

As a gun owner who strives to be reasonable about things, this is one of many wildlife maps that can thoroughly piss me off. Every state in the western U.S. used to have grizzlies and that's just within the last 200 years. What happened? Goddamn fucking assholes with goddamned fucking guns thought they had to kill every goddamned thing that fucking moved. Then look at the northeastern U.S. and eastern Canada and the lightly shaded area there. What happened? Goddamned fucking assholes with goddamned fucking spears thought they had to kill every goddamned thing that fucking moved. People have been a scourge on this planet for 200,000 years and it's time to do something about it.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I heard that bears have bad eyes; so what you need to do is to prove that you are not a bear. Bears don't sing, so a suggestion is to start singing.

How about "Teddybear Picnic" or "Goldilocks"? [winkgrin]
Common sense is another word for prejudice.