Bill Maher

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Gendo
Site Admin

Bill Maher

Post by Gendo »

I'm guessing most people here aren't a fan of Bill Maher... I've never really liked him, but holy hell I just found out that he flat-out defended a teacher who admitted to raping her 12 year old male student; saying that there was nothing wrong with it, and she should be allowed to continue in a relationship with him.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBYM0dQ4zUU&t=7m7s[/youtube]

(Relevant segment starts at 7:07).

Ok, so he's pretty much always just been someone who tries to get fame based on shock value of stuff he says... but what I want to know is how in the world did he get away with saying things things, and still go on to host multiple shows?? How was he not ousted from any form of fame based on this?
aels
Global Moderator

Re: Bill Maher

Post by aels »

'Is aels going to turn up and spraff on again about the double-edged sword of patriarchy like a wind-up SJW doll?' I hear you cry.

....no. I am not going to do that. I think the main reason that Maher wasn't vilified for his comments is because social norms are eternally in flux and JUST KIDDING IT'S THE DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD OF PATRIARCHY.

The notion that men are incorrigible sexbeasts and women are uptight prudes (and I say this as an uptight prude) means we don't take women seriously as sexual predators and we don't take men seriously as victims of sexual crimes, even when the men are 12 year old boys. There's an expectation that men are always up for it and women who commit statutory rape are seen as bestowing the magical gift of sexual maturity rather than violating the trust and bodies of children. You can see it in the way that people like Chris Brown and pancakeeater (remember that asshole?) talk about being the victims of statutory rape. I'm not trying to tell them how to negotiate their own experiences or whatever but I think they come across as two people damaged by the need to accept what was done to them as 'normal'. Rape against men is seen as a blessing or a joke (we have all heard prison rape jokes) because men are stereotypically perceived as sexual aggressors. I'd argue that statutory rape isn't taken seriously in many quarters anyway (especially Hollywood) since Roman Polanski drugged and raped a little girl and is still making films.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

Post by Chuckles_Otoole »

Bill Maher is an asshole. The only reason I watch "Real Time" occasionally is because sometimes he has good guests on and I want to hear their opinions, but whenever Bill talks I want to claw my own eyes out.
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

aels wrote:'Is aels going to turn up and spraff on again about the double-edged sword of patriarchy like a wind-up SJW doll?' I hear you cry.

I love learning new vocabulary words from you. spraff spraff spraff spraff spraff spraff spraff
aels wrote: I think they come across as two people damaged by the need to accept what was done to them as 'normal'.
Don't forget Milo, same thing.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

but what I want to know is how in the world did he get away with saying things things, and still go on to host multiple shows?? How was he not ousted from any form of fame based on this?
How did he not get elected President of the United States? [none]
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

All anybody needs to know about Bill Maher is he's an anti-vaxxer who tries to hide the fact that he's an anti-vaxxer and he believes "Big Pharma" is hiding cures for major diseases. But he hates conspiracy theorists. Neil deGrasse Tyson tried to hand Maher his ass but Maher just ignored him before letting some idiot talking about "Chinese herbal medicine" try to argue with Tyson.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Wow, it's almost like I already posted this here or something.

http://forum.pittersplace.com/viewtopic ... 101#p20088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, he's a cunt. He's the king of cunts. This isn't even in the top ten of worst things he's said.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I've always had extremely mixed opinions on Maher. Sometimes he is dead on right in what he says and how he says it, and other times he's as mind-bogglingly ignorant and stupid as the religious believers and conservatives he loves to lampoon. I've always thought him an asshole though, even when I agreed with him.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
the_dork_lord
Super Poster

Post by the_dork_lord »

Remember how GI used to show up to defend Bill Maher aggressively every time he was mentioned? That's how you know he was the worst.
Anus.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

He needs to show up here again just so I can mock the fuck out of him. Does he still post on that IMDB2 board thing?
the_dork_lord
Super Poster

Post by the_dork_lord »

He used to defend Maher on the grounds that he was popular and I wasn't. Seriously, he told me that when I sold out stadiums I could critique.
Anus.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Argumentum ad populum is always extra hilarious coming from an atheist. Jeez, that is some special stupid.
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

the_dork_lord wrote:He used to defend Maher on the grounds that he was popular and I wasn't.
Carrot Top is popular. So is Justin Bieber.
the_dork_lord
Super Poster

Post by the_dork_lord »

I mean what topped it off for me was that he made it about how I wasn't popular. That was an especially dumb twist.
Anus.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Even weirder how he agreed with Dork.