Louis C.K.

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Louis C.K.

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Wtf? This is the first one I'm sort of sad about. I knew there were rumors, but I always thought they were unsubstantiated Gawker gossip. I guess I know to not make that mistake again.

Wtf is wrong with men? How hard is it to not sexually assault people?
maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: Louis C.K.

Post by maz89 »

Same. I'm actually a crazy fan of his inspired show, and he seems like such a well adjusted person. And now this...

Part of me is more forgiving because this time it's someone I've always liked - like, even good, well-adjusted people can have moments of weakness - but then, it does seem to have been a recurring thing.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Never heard of him
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

He's that dude who did the lead voice in The Secret Life of Pets, I'm pretty sure?
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Fuck him. Just two months ago he was denying this as 'rumours' and now he's actually facing consequences he's decided to admit to it and people are talking about what a brave and good and noble apology it is. People are making excuses for him. Y'all on this board are good people and #notallmen etc but I am currently experiencing a very deep and visceral distaste towards men as a group. Any woman could tell you how prevalent sexual harrassment and assault are, and lots of good liberal men are prepared to believe women right up until the point that it makes them uncomfortable. I hope his dick falls off.

https://twitter.com/SarahLerner/status/ ... 7776768001
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

I'd never heard of him either.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:Fuck him. Just two months ago he was denying this as 'rumours' and now he's actually facing consequences he's decided to admit to it and people are talking about what a brave and good and noble apology it is. People are making excuses for him. Y'all on this board are good people and #notallmen etc but I am currently experiencing a very deep and visceral distaste towards men as a group. Any woman could tell you how prevalent sexual harrassment and assault are, and lots of good liberal men are prepared to believe women right up until the point that it makes them uncomfortable. I hope his dick falls off.

https://twitter.com/SarahLerner/status/ ... 7776768001
Frankly I'm surprised you don't feel that way all the time.

I can't believe how willing people are to exonerate him because of his apology. I haven't read it, because who cares what it says? It could be the greatest apology in the world and it wouldn't change the fact that he only released it after he got caught, and that before he got caught he'd been dismissing it all for years.

That's what's making me consider him more of a cold-blooded predator rather than just some weird disgusting old man with obvious mental issues. That and the release of his creepy ass movie. As someone else said, the fact that he even made that movie proves that he was so convinced of his own invincibility that he thought nothing would ever happen to him.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm not sure how many people are exonerating him, but I've seen people believe C.K. when he said he thought he had consent from women who said yes to him taking his dick out when he asked to. That's slightly more sympathetic than someone who doesn't care about consent at all (Though still clearly a wrong thing to do obviously), but I'm not sure I believe his statement to be genuine myself.

Either way what happened is definitely sexual misconduct and should be punished. Understanding how power dynamics affect relationships is absolutely critical anyways, especially when it comes to topics like how consent works.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I'm sure he genuinely managed to convince himself that he was granted consent. At least a part of himself. Clearly a big part of him felt guilty.

It feels to me now that all his masturbation jokes, all his look-at-me-i'm-so-disgusting-and-hideous routines, his all-men-are-pervs acts are a form of self-therapy. Like he's trying to make himself feel better about what he did and what kind of person he is.

What's not forgivable about it is that he kept denying it all for years. Clearly he thought he was going to get away with it all, and he was profiting from it with his comedy and his movie.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I still think he gets some credit for admitting what a scumbag that incident made him.
“These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was OK because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them," C.K., 50, said in a statement released on Friday, November 19. “The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly."

“I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn't want to hear it. I didn't think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for," he added. “And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with."
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

J/k about not knowing Louis. Been a fan since like 2003. First heard the rumors a little over year ago and started to fear they might be true. In retrospect there were a lot of red flags, but he seemed like such a thoughtful/considerate person that many of us were willing to give him the benefit-of-the-doubt...even though there was some kind of darkness there. And even though his statement isn't perfect, and is a bit narcissistic, it's one of the more thoughfully crafted ones(of all the dudes who have been accused)...and you can see why he was able to fool a lot of people. He was starting to lose me as a fan even before this, because his stand-up in his latest snl appearance sucked. He did some race stuff that just didn't land well with me. I think it was shortly after Trump had been elected and Nazis were starting to get more emboldened. The race bits he did just seemed out of touch...given the circumstances...like he wasn't evolving or couldn't "read the room" or something. Which seemed out of character for him. And I heard his netflix special sucked too.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

lol

https://twitter.com/UniqueDude2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;