Sad news regarding Cash (AKA Brandon)

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Gendo
Site Admin

Sad news regarding Cash (AKA Brandon)

Post by Gendo »

Brandon passed away on October 3rd. [sad]

I don't know the specific cause; though he had some health issues a couple months ago.

He was a big member of our community throughout all the different versions of this little group; going back to our origins at IMDB. He will he missed.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Sad news regarding Cash (AKA Brandon)

Post by Raxivace »

Jesus, that's terrible news.

I didn't know him too well myself but he was still one of the first people here when I joined. RIP.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Hi everyone

I stayed away from the board after Brandon and I broke up because I wanted to give him some space but we remained friends and stayed in touch on Facebook. I got a message from his brother a few months back saying that he had suffered a couple of strokes and was in the process of recovery. I didn't hear any more and assumed that no news was good news. I found out otherwise from Gendo today.

He was a gun-toting, baby-stealing, weed-smoking pig farmer with a secret heart of gold and I loved him very much. I can't believe we're never going to hear from him again.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

This is terrible to hear. I'm shocked and saddened. Thank you both for delivering the news .
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

Thanks for letting us know. RIP to the rare libertarian who didn't hate other races.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Well fuck. That's awful. I had a dream about him the other night, although I don't remember the context of it, and I don't even remember if it was before or after I saw DA's post asking about him.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Sad news.
RIP
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

May he rest in peace.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Oh man. :( I'll miss him.

Thanks for letting us know, Gendo and aels.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Once again I havent' fully digested this news yet and I still keep thinking about who is going to care for his neices now.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

I don't have any Waylon Jennings in my music collection, but whenever I play Johnny Cash, I think of Brandon.

Never met face to face or had private convos like some of you had, but he was a good guy who I considered a friend.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Wow, that sucks. RIP. I'm sorry, aels.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I was afraid this news was coming. I really liked Brandon...hope his niece and her kid(kids?) are okay.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Man, I'm just in shock. RIP, and condolences to his friends/family. Cash and I didn't personally cross paths much, but I always loved reading his posts on IMDb. I loved how he could go in-depth knowledge one post, and in the next be so acerbic. I'll never forget the one compliment he gave me ages ago... probably because coming from an ostensible curmudgeon like him, it meant a lot.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It's really cool to see some of the long lost posters come back to digitally pay their respects...so to speak.

Cash was a major part of what remained of this little community and I'm really now feeling his absence...knowing he's not coming back.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

I remember Cash being the one who extended me the invite to the first private board all those years ago when the IMDB board was getting infested with trolls.

I can't say we were close, but I always liked him.

Sad, sad news.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Cassius Clay wrote:It's really cool to see some of the long lost posters come back to digitally pay their respects...so to speak.

Cash was a major part of what remained of this little community and I'm really now feeling his absence...knowing he's not coming back.
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I won't ever speak to him again. I joined the RFS board ten years ago and I know a lot of posters went ever further back with him. It's a lot to adjust to. I agree though, it's nice to see some old faces again [love4]
RandallFlagg
New Timer

Post by RandallFlagg »

Terrible news, I too will miss our very own gun-toting, backwoods Randy Marsh. My thoughts, paltry and inconsequential as they are, are with his family and those of you who were especially close to him.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

aels wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:It's really cool to see some of the long lost posters come back to digitally pay their respects...so to speak.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I won't ever speak to him again. I joined the RFS board ten years ago and I know a lot of posters went ever further back with him. It's a lot to adjust to. I agree though, it's nice to see some old faces again [love4]
I joined RFS in 2009 I think. I didn't know Cash that well(tho I'd like to think I had a good sense of his character and personality), so it's crazy to reflect on the fact that I had known him for almost a decade. Where did the time go?

I've had that Annie Lennox song on my mind.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

IMDB says I joined in 2010. I don't think I started posting until later. Cash and I disliked each other pretty much immediately, iirc. He was my arch-nemesis ever since and we only started warming up a bit fairly recently when we took turns making fun of stupid people on the RFS board. For a while the RFS board (and the later ones) were the only group of people I talked to with any regularity, and he was probably the most major part of them since the beginning. I agree, it's a lot to adjust to.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

While I can understand the reasons for alerting the IMDB2 board of this news; I personally wouldn't have done it; or only done it through individual PMs to specific people who would care. The majority of people over there are new posters who don't know him, and most of the rest are asshole trolls that drove us out of IMDB in the first place. They didn't need to know.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

The thought of people being assholes about it is extremely upsetting and I would have greatly preferred it if the wrong people hadn't known about it. Did anyone expect people who hated Brandon to be super awesome and respectful of his death? For fuck's sake.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I think there are folks over there that still regularly spy on this board(hi marv and vegas [wave]), so Cine was prolly thinking it would have gotten out anyway...and might as well take control of the narrative.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Derived Absurdity wrote:IMDB says I joined in 2010. I don't think I started posting until later. Cash and I disliked each other pretty much immediately, iirc. He was my arch-nemesis ever since and we only started warming up a bit fairly recently when we took turns making fun of stupid people on the RFS board. For a while the RFS board (and the later ones) were the only group of people I talked to with any regularity, and he was probably the most major part of them since the beginning. I agree, it's a lot to adjust to.
And I remember your fights with him, which I used to get in between, knowing you two were more similar than you realized. You were like a younger (less wise) version of Cash..so it was kinda funny to watch. When you two finally started getting along a couple years ago, you made a pretty good duo on RFS.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:I think there are folks over there that still regularly spy on this board(hi marv and vegas [wave]), so Cine was prolly thinking it would have gotten out anyway...and might as well take control of the narrative.
Probably this.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I went over and looked at IMDB2.0 and didn't really see the negative comments? Maybe they were deleted?
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Monk wrote:I went over and looked at IMDB2.0 and didn't really see the negative comments? Maybe they were deleted?
Yes and yes.
There were really nasty comments that are now gone.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Happy birthday, Brandon… [sad]