Lyndon in 2022

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Lyndon in 2022

Post by Raxivace »

That list looks familiar (Looks like I was limiting myself to one film per director too), but man it kind of bums me out that I've seen very little since then that I would even consider adding to that.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Like if I were to add things it would probably be some kind of Chaplin film (Probably City Lights, really its weird to me now that I left Chaplin off altogether), Murnau's Nosferatu, Adolescence of Utena (Granted it would be a hard sell since that "compressed remake" genre of anime film is so weird to begin with), and maybe OJ: Made in America.

The OJ doc is hard to say though because while I think its probably the most mature take on the true crime documentary genre out there, the very nature of it as a true crime doc makes it hard to compare to other films on that list. Like that's a great movie but it has nothing to do with like its sense of aesthetics, whereas I think that's what lifts something like 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner over other sci-fi films.

In addition while I like OJ better as a movie than other true crime docs, it would be very easy to say others are "better" in that they had direct effect on the world. Movies like The Thin Blue Line or the Paradise Lost trilogy eventually got the subjects of their films out of prison for example, and few films have accomplished a specific, real world objective as directly as those.

OTOH something like the Paradise Lost trilogy generally being more immature as a series of films in its approach arguably makes the trilogy easier to dissect and really dig into precisely because of that immaturity (Particularly in that second entry where the filmmakers are kind of acting like massive hypocrites and doing literally the exact same thing they derided that small town for doing in the first film. Paradise Lost 2 borders on a KONY2012 style of fuckup tbh). I could very easily see someone getting bored by OJ: Made in America and view it as lecture-y if they already agree with its take on racism in America or OJ or whatever too. In a way its less approachable as something to really engage with.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Raxivace wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:43 pm Like if I were to add things it would probably be some kind of Chaplin film (Probably City Lights, really its weird to me now that I left Chaplin off altogether), Murnau's Nosferatu, Adolescence of Utena (Granted it would be a hard sell since that "compressed remake" genre of anime film is so weird to begin with), and maybe OJ: Made in America.
City Lights and Murnau's Nosferatu are generally considered among the best films of all time. I saw both and I liked them.
I saw Adolescence of Utena too. I love it. I think it's a minor masterpiece. I rated it with 9/10.
I haven't seen the documentary you mentioned. I am completely clueless about documentaries in general. I saw several Herzog documentaries, but that is about it.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

116. Orpheus (1950; Jean Cocteau)
Summary: A poet in love with Death follows his unhappy wife into the underworld.
This film is from the director of the most acclaimed version of the 'Beauty and the Beast' story. It is a very good French film.

117. The Tatami Galaxy (2010)
Summary: When a nameless student at Kyoto University encounters a demigod one night, he asks to relive the past three years in order to win the heart of Ms. Akashi, the object of his affection.
A very good anime series which asks questions like: 'If you made different decisions in life, would you end up in the same place?' and 'What is the path to true happiness?'

118. Niagara (1953; Henry Hathaway)
Summary: As two couples are visiting Niagara Falls, tensions between one wife and her husband reach the level of murder.
This is a sold film-noir, nicely directed by Hathaway.

119. Elite Squad (2007; José Padilha)
Summary: In 1997 Rio de Janeiro, Captain Nascimento has to find a substitute for his position while trying to take down drug dealers and criminals before the Pope visits.
A very good Brazilian film.

120. Elite Squad 2: The Enemy Within (2010; José Padilha)
Summary: After a prison riot, former-Captain Nascimento, now a high ranking security officer in Rio de Janeiro, is swept into a bloody political dispute that involves government officials and paramilitary groups.
A sequel that is possibly even better than the first film.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I haven't seen Tatami Galaxy yet, but I really liked that director's Devilman adaptation from a few years ago.
Lord_Lyndon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:07 pmCity Lights and Murnau's Nosferatu are generally considered among the best films of all time. I saw both and I liked them.
I saw Adolescence of Utena too. I love it. I think it's a minor masterpiece. I rated it with 9/10.
I haven't seen the documentary you mentioned. I am completely clueless about documentaries in general. I saw several Herzog documentaries, but that is about it.
I think Herzog's docs are pretty good, especially his ones that basically amount "Lol here's some crazy asshole I found in some exotic location".
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Raxivace wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 am I haven't seen Tatami Galaxy yet, but I really liked that director's Devilman adaptation from a few years ago.
I remember you once said that Devilman manga was a huge inspiration on Evangelion.
I think Herzog's docs are pretty good, especially his ones that basically amount "Lol here's some crazy asshole I found in some exotic location".
I seem to remember that Grizzly Man (2005) is your favourite Herzog documentary.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lord_Lyndon wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:23 am I remember you once said that Devilman manga was a huge inspiration on Evangelion.
Yeah. There's even some Anno quote out there where he says that Evangelion is basically just Devilman plus Space Runaway Ideon.

I think he's being a bit glib with that line but that man is hugely influenced by the things he grew up on if nothing else.

EDIT: Looking it up again it seems it might be from a Sadamoto interview and not an Anno one. I could have sworn it was Anno that said this but I'll have to keep digging around to say for sure.
I seem to remember that Grizzly Man (2005) is your favourite Herzog documentary.
Correct. Lol how do you remember these things?
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Raxivace wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:52 pmCorrect. Lol how do you remember these things?
I try to remember what you guys say here on Pitters' Place, especially about your favourite films. After all, you are my only friends. I will try to fight against my deteriorating mental condition, find some motivation and post here on Pitters' Place more frequently.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

"Deteriorating mental condition"? Lyndon man, are you okay?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah feel free to talk about whatever if you think it could help!
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

I really appreciate your concern for me, guys. I just want to explain something very shortly. I have been struggling with mental illness for 12 years now. Unfortunately, it is not getting better for me, and I find myself in a very difficult situation. The good news is this: It is very difficult, but it is still somehow bearable. So I probably won't commit suicide or anything, and I will definitely try to continue posting here on Pitters' Place. That's pretty much it.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

[love10]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lyndon man I hope you keep pushing on through- you seem to have the strength for it. We would all be very sad here if you just upped and vanished forever one day.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Thank you Gendo and Rax for your messages of love and support. I really wish you guys all the best in the future.
Anyway, guys... I rewatched three Kurosawa masterpieces back to back a month ago. Some of my thoughts:

121. Kagemusha (1980; Akira Kurosawa)
Eva Yojimbo once said this is the most Shakespearean of all Kurosawa films. I personally love it because it is so beautifully composed and because the story is very compelling.

122. Seven Samurai (1954; Akira Kurosawa)
I think this film is considered a masterpiece because of Kurosawa's innovative cinematography during the action sequences. The other reason is that its long running time allowed Kurosawa to develop several compelling and charismatic characters. But what is this film trying to say on a thematic level? Maybe I'm misreading the film, but I feel the film is trying to convey that the era of honorable samurai is coming to an end. Rax will definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

123. Ran (1985; Akira Kurosawa)
Tieman said this film is basically Kurosawa observing human tragedy on a more epic, even cosmic scale. It is magnificently composed, with more memorable sequences than Kagemusha. The story is very good (retelling of King Lear), but it will definitely be remembered as one of the most visually stunning films of all time. Definitely my favourite Kurosawa film.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah all three of those are great.

I think you're sort of right about Seven Samurai- I think its certainly about an end of an era (It's kind of telling the that the four samurai that die in the movie are all killed by bullets and not blades), but its the end of an era that was also kind of built on bullshit idealizations. Samurai weren't medieval superheroes (The villains of the picture are just as much samurai as the the heroes are), there's a reason the villagers in the movie have the armor and such of dead samurai already etc. But the chaos of the era also allows things like Mifune to move from peasant farmer class to samurai, and that he's been a part of both is why he's the heart of the movie (And why the name of the movie isn't Six Samurai Plus Some Other Asshole That Keeps Following Them Around). The era of honorable samurai may be largely mythologized but none the less the ideals themselves they represented are still worth trying to live up to.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Seven Samurai is definitely my most-desired movie to watch that I still haven't seen yet.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Raxivace wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:05 am Yeah all three of those are great.

I think you're sort of right about Seven Samurai- I think its certainly about an end of an era (It's kind of telling the that the four samurai that die in the movie are all killed by bullets and not blades), but its the end of an era that was also kind of built on bullshit idealizations. Samurai weren't medieval superheroes (The villains of the picture are just as much samurai as the the heroes are), there's a reason the villagers in the movie have the armor and such of dead samurai already etc. But the chaos of the era also allows things like Mifune to move from peasant farmer class to samurai, and that he's been a part of both is why he's the heart of the movie (And why the name of the movie isn't Six Samurai Plus Some Other Asshole That Keeps Following Them Around). The era of honorable samurai may be largely mythologized but none the less the ideals themselves they represented are still worth trying to live up to.
This is great, Rax. Thank you for taking your time to write this. Now I have a much better understanding of the film thanks to you.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

I managed to see 5 films in the last 30 days since seeing Kurosawa's Ran.

124. East of Eden (1955; Elia Kazan)
This was very good. I liked Kazan's direction. There were some beautifully filmed scenes. James Dean was very good. I did prefer his other two films: 'Giant' and 'Rebel Without a Cause'.

125. Descendants (2015 TV Movie; Kenny Ortega)
It is a fantasy musical from Disney Channel. The main idea is that we have kids from famous Disney villains choosing between being good or evil. This is a solid film.

126. Descendants 2 (2017 TV Movie; Kenny Ortega)
A pretty solid sequel. It had pirates which is cool. I love pirates. Maybe I should watch One Piece or something.

127. My New Sassy Girl (2016; Jo Geun-shik)
I decided to see this Korean romantic comedy because my favourite Chinese woman is in a leading role. Her name is Victoria Song Qian. She was a K-pop star and now she is mostly an actress. Anyway, the film itself was watchable.

128. Risky Business (1983; Paul Brickman)
Some reviewers said that his film is some kind of condemnation of the American dream. I don't know. Maybe. Anyway, it is always fun to watch Tom Cruise do his thing. He was very handsome.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

I managed to see two new animated films since I was here last time.

129. Toy Story 4 (2019; Josh Cooley)
Gendo saw this in January. I loved everything about it: animation, story, characters, set-pieces, emotional moments. Terrific.

130. Beowulf (2007; Robert Zemeckis)
This is an underrated animated feature. It was excellent: very bloody and violent. Some terrific set-pieces and legendary Robert Zemeckis really did a great job in the directing department.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

You might be the only one I know who likes Beowulf that much. I saw it in theaters and wasn’t impressed; basically didn’t remember anything about it shortly after. And I love Zemeckis in general.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

I saw 4 more films I haven't seen before.

131. Legend of the Ancient Sword (2018; Renny Harlin)
A young warrior is searching for his mysteriously disappeared master. He must join forces with other fighters in order to get a magical sword and defeat an evil grand priest. The fate of mankind is at stake.
I decided to see this because Victoria Song is in it. It is a pretty decent fantasy wuxia film.

132. Funeral Parade of Roses (1969; Toshio Matsumoto)
The trials and tribulations of Eddie and other transvestites in Japan. This is an experimental Japanese New Wave film. Allegedly, it was one of Kubrick's favourite films. I thought it was good.

133. Pastoral: To Die in the Country (1974; Shûji Terayama)
A young boys' coming of age tale set in a strange, carnivalesque village becomes the recreation of a memory that the director has twenty years later.
This is one of those 'surreal' films. I guess it was good.

134. Five Easy Pieces (1970; Bob Rafelson)
A dropout from upper-class America picks up work along the way on oil rigs when his life isn't spent in a squalid succession of bars, motels, and other points of interest. I thought this was a rather low-key, lyrical film. It was very good. Jack Nicholson was simply fantastic.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Five Easy Pieces is one of the films that really made me realize that Nicholson's star persona was very different pre-The Shining. Before that film, he very much had this "lost man, American masculinity is in crisis and I'm sad and mad and don't know what to do" thing going that you see very much see in those BBS Productions films like Five Easy Pieces, as well as stuff like The Passenger, Last Detail, even Chinatown to an extent (Though that's a period piece, but its playing on contemporary anxieties I think). I was so used to the "crazy Jack" that played the Joker in Burton's Batman, and realized I had kind of been reading that into his whole career in an unfruitful way.

This also leads me to think Kubrick is riffing on this early Nicholson persona more than the character Stephen King wrote in his novel, to the point Five Easy Pieces and The Shining would probably be a fairly sensible double feature. Hell both those movies are even end with Nicholson betraying his own family, though in very different ways.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Raxivace wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:27 am Five Easy Pieces is one of the films that really made me realize that Nicholson's star persona was very different pre-The Shining. Before that film, he very much had this "lost man, American masculinity is in crisis and I'm sad and mad and don't know what to do" thing going that you see very much see in those BBS Productions films like Five Easy Pieces, as well as stuff like The Passenger, Last Detail, even Chinatown to an extent (Though that's a period piece, but its playing on contemporary anxieties I think). I was so used to the "crazy Jack" that played the Joker in Burton's Batman, and realized I had kind of been reading that into his whole career in an unfruitful way.

This also leads me to think Kubrick is riffing on this early Nicholson persona more than the character Stephen King wrote in his novel, to the point Five Easy Pieces and The Shining would probably be a fairly sensible double feature. Hell both those movies are even end with Nicholson betraying his own family, though in very different ways.
I can't really add anything interesting to what you said here, Rax. I will share the list of Jack Nicholson films I've seen so far.

The Shooting (1966)
Five Easy Pieces (1970)
The Last Detail (1973)
Chinatown (1974)
The Passenger (1975)
Tommy (1975)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
The Missouri Breaks (1976)
The Shining (1980)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)
The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
Batman (1989)
A Few Good Men (1992)
Wolf (1994)
Mars Attacks! (1996)
As Good as It Gets (1997)
The Pledge (2001)
Anger Management (2003)
Something's Gotta Give (2003)
The Departed (2006)

That is 20 films. I think he is great in most of them. I really enjoyed watching him perform.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

135. Nixon (1995; Oliver Stone)
This was fantastic. I loved Stone's direction, camera angles and little surreal touches. Dialogues were great. Anthony Hopkins was great as president Nixon, and it was nice to see James Woods in a supporting role. He is one of my favourites.

136. Once Upon a Time in America (1984; Sergio Leone)
One of 5-6 most prominent and iconic gangster films of all time. It was my third time seeing it, and my second time seeing the extended edition which is 4 hours 10 minutes long. De Niro was great, and I especially loved the scenes with older De Niro. James Woods was great as well; loved seeing those two together. I don't usually pay attention to musical scores, but Morricone here really sets up the melancholic, mournful, elegiac tone with his score. I have only one minor quibble: I was never a big fan of scenes with main characters as young boys for some reason. But it is not a big deal in this epic, legendary and iconic film. And to think that this is only my fourth favourite Leone film just proves what a legend he is.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

137. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002; Peter Jackson)
This was my second time seeing the extended version of the film. It was magnificent, and Peter Jackson's direction was magnificent. Definitely some of the best cinematography I've ever seen.

138. Chungking Express (1994; Wong Kar-Wai)
My fifth time seeing this film. It is a story about two love-struck cops filmed in impressionistic splashes of motion and color. It will always be remembered for its exuberant, kinetic style and its quirky characters and situations. It also evokes a profound sense of longing and nostalgia. Definitely a contender for my favourite film of all time. Hong Kong, Wong Kar-Wai and Tony Leung will always be special to me.

139. Aloha (2015; Cameron Crowe)
I heard a lot of bad things about this film, but I decided to see it because I love Emma Stone. It turned out to be a charming, funny and poignant film. Emma Stone was fantastic; I fell in love with both her character and her performance. Bradley Cooper was great. I really loved him in this.

140. Megamind (2010; Tom McGrath)
This was fantastic. Definitely one of the best animated films I've ever seen. It is such a brilliant take on the whole superhero/villain dichotomy.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Funny thing about Aloha... never heard of it before about a couple weeks ago; it showed up as a preview on The Walk. I thought "hey this looks really good, and has an amazing cast! And Cameron Crowe generally makes good stuff." So I was all set to go order the DVD on instinct, but thought I should check the reviews first. Got absolutely slammed on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, and just generally bad reviews from everywhere, so I decided against it. But now here you are, talking about it and saying it's good. So, ordered!

I liked Megamind a whole lot too. I saw Despicable Me first, and liked that. Then when I finally got around to Megamind, I thought it was even better.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Gendo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:09 pm Funny thing about Aloha... never heard of it before about a couple weeks ago; it showed up as a preview on The Walk. I thought "hey this looks really good, and has an amazing cast! And Cameron Crowe generally makes good stuff." So I was all set to go order the DVD on instinct, but thought I should check the reviews first. Got absolutely slammed on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, and just generally bad reviews from everywhere, so I decided against it. But now here you are, talking about it and saying it's good. So, ordered!
First of all, I hope you and your family will enjoy Aloha. Second of all, I just want to mention why most people disliked it. They felt that the screenplay was a huge mess, and that the film didn't know what it's trying to be. Stuff like that doesn't bother me personally, and I liked all the little subplots that were incorporated in the film. I hope it works for you, too.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

141. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012; Marc Webb)
This was very good. It was entertaining from start to finish. I think Andrew Garfield is the best Peter Parker/Spiderman.

142. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014; Marc Webb)
Not as good as the first one. I liked the scenes with Dane DeHaan, but not much else.

143. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014; Jonathan Liebesman)
This is just great, silly fun. Action scenes were awesome. Megan Fox is incredibly beautiful, and I thought she did a good job acting-wise.

144. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016; Dave Green)
Not as good as the first one, but pretty solid. The first one had better action scenes, it was more visually stunning and Megan Fox had more screen time.

145. The Long Day Closes (1992; Terence Davies)
A beautiful, impressionistic British art film about a young boy living in 1950s Liverpool.

146. Amistad (1997; Steven Spielberg)
This was very good, even if Spielberg's direction was bland at times. There were some really good sequences, and some good acting by Matthew McConaughey and Anthony Hopkins.

147. The Color Purple (1985; Steven Spielberg)
Great direction by Spielberg. Some really beautiful cinematography. The story itself was only solid. It was shamelessly sentimental, but it did not bother me. In fact, I welcomed it.

148. Bridge of Spies (2015; Steven Spielberg)
Another Spielberg's collaboration with Tom Hanks. This film is very solid, but nothing about it was really exceptional in my opinion.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

DeHaan is always great, but yeah I remember liking almost nothing about that one. I did like the first one a lot, and I’m a big fan of Garfield, but I wouldn’t say I like him as Spider-Man more than the other 2 options. Each provides their own charm.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

I rewatched one of my favourite films and I finally saw Rebuild of Evangelion films.

149. The Revenant (2015; Alejandro González Iñárritu)
I saw this in 2016 and I loved it. Decided to rewatch it. It is one of the greatest films I've ever seen. It shows the brutality and savagery of men, but also beauty and harshness of nature. In terms of cinematography, it is second to none. Simply amazing achievement in directing, and definitely the best film DiCaprio was in.

150. Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone (2007; Masayuki, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Hideaki Anno)
This was fantastic. Great animation and action. It builds towards a very satisfying climax, a terrific battle with the 6th Angel.

151. Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance (2009; Masayuki, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Hideaki Anno, Joe Fria)
The second one is a masterpiece. I loved everything about it: characters, their interactions, animation, action, visuals, brilliant ending. Everything was fantastic.

152. Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo (2012; Mahiro Maeda, Masayuki, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Hideaki Anno, Joe Fria)
I think a lot of people disliked this one because they felt it was a bit convoluted. It didn't bother me personally. I thought it was fantastic. I loved the scenes Shinji and Kaworu shared together. Also loved the final battle with great visuals, action and plot developments.

153. Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time (2021; Mahiro Maeda, Katsuichi Nakayama, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Hideaki Anno, Joe Fria)
Magnificent way to finish things. This masterpiece is 2 hours 35 minutes long, which means it is the longest animated film I've ever seen. It is incredibly beautiful, poignant and visually arresting. It has some incredible action and some really fascinating ideas. I loved the quieter scenes in the village as much as action packed scenes in the second half of the film. And what a beautiful, bittersweet ending. Really emotional stuff. This has been a wonderful journey which ended on a perfect note.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Decided to see some Anna Kendrick films I haven't seen before.

154. Noelle (2019; Marc Lawrence)
Summary: Santa's daughter must take over the family business when her father retires and her brother, who is supposed to inherit the Santa role, gets cold feet.
It is a solid film with a wonderful and charming performance from Anna Kendrick. Really enjoyed watching her.

155. The Voices (2014; Marjane Satrapi)
It is a dark comedy about a mentally ill dude who hears voices which tell him what to do. He is played by Ryan Reynolds. Anna Kendrick plays the girl who has a crush on him. She was wonderful. She is beautiful and I'm in love with her. The film itself was also solid. Whatever.

This is it for year 2022. The End.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Quite a year for movies! We both saw close to the same amount this year. Glad you were able to get to the Evangelion rebuilds.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Cool that you finally saw Rebuild, Lyndon. What do you mean make of it as an overall series?
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Raxivace wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:31 am Cool that you finally saw Rebuild, Lyndon. What do you mean make of it as an overall series?
i can only add one thing. I agree with people who said that makers of the films sacrificed a bit of the thematic depth so they can focus more on animation, visuals and action. It didn't bother me personally, but that means that none of the 4 films were quite on the same level as End of Evangelion. Which is not a big deal, since End of Evangelion is probably the greatest animated film of all time. I really don't know what else to say.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah as much as I loved Rebuild, I haven't been able to really see the same degree of thematic depth. As cathartic as the last movie was to watch, it hasn't really called to me the same way as something like EoE did. Buy yeah, even matching EoE is such a high bar for me that I'm not sure any movie is likely to ever do that.