Lyndon in 2023

Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Lyndon in 2023

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

1. Vacancy (2007; Nimród Antal)
A pretty solid thriller/horror with good performances from Kate Beckinsale and Luke Wilson.

2. Mr. Right (2015; Paco Cabezas)
This film really throws a lot of ridiculous characters, ridiculous situations and ridiculous dialogue at you. It works. It was entertaining and funny. Anna Kendrick and Sam Rockwell were terrific.

3. Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949; Robert Hamer)
It is an acclaimed British dark comedy, a satire of aristocracy of sorts. It was wonderful.

4. The New World (2005; Terrence Malick)
Rewatch. Still a beautiful visual poem from Terry. Really love this film, even if it is not on the level of his 3 masterpieces (Badlands, Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line).

5. FLCL Progressive (2018)
It wasn't as coherent and as meaningful as the original. It was silly, random, nonsensical. I did like it, though. It was fun.

6. FLCL Alternative (2018)
More grounded than Progressive. It made more sense, but it was less fun. I generally liked it, though.

7. Devilman: Crybaby (2018)
Recommended by Rax. It uses a familiar premise of human merging with a demon. But it builds on that beautifully and becomes something great till the end. Last two episodes were fantastic, and that ending scene was truly devastating.

8. The Big O (1999–2003)
Another recommendation by Rax. It is an aesthetically pleasing and thematically ambitious series. Someone said it is like a hybrid of Batman Animated Series and Blade Runner. Also, someone said this: Big O can best be viewed as an allegory for man's search for identity, and an exploration of the relationships between memory, imagination, and knowledge. Overall, it was great.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Lyndon in 2023

Post by Raxivace »

Progressive and Alternative get a bad rap because they're not as good as the original FLCL (How could they be?), but taken on their own terms I thought they were decent little shows. That one fake-out episode in Alternative in particular strikes me as very sad.

Yeah Devilman Crybaby is something. I generally liked it better than the original manga it adapts- the overall basic story is the same but it really lands in Crybaby in a way it didn't for me in the original.

Yeah Big O is great, though it needs a rewatch for me. What did you make of that ending?
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

BTW where are you on Malick's Tree of Life? I haven't seen it in like ten years, but I remember thinking it was almost a masterpiece, except that the cosmic framing device with the dinosaurs and such didn't really work for me. Rest was very good though.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

Yeah Big O is great, though it needs a rewatch for me. What did you make of that ending?
If I understood it correctly, they were all living in a kind of simulation. I think the point was that the main character, Roger Smith, realized that in the end. And despite the fact that he was aware that they were all simulated beings, he insisted that their identity, existence and relationships they forged, especially in his relation to female character Angel, were actually 'real' and very meaningful. In my opinion, that was a a very poignant way to end the series.
BTW where are you on Malick's Tree of Life?
I thought it was very good. The highlight of the film were definitely scenes of family living in Texas. By the way, I still haven't seen the extended version of the film, which is 3 hours long. Which means it has 40 additional minutes when compared to theatrical cut. I presume it expands on Sean Penn's character. He was barely in the original cut. I am very interested to find out about his character more, especially because I'm a big fan of Sean Penn. Believe it or not.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

You liked Mr. Right more than I did, and I’m a huge Rockwell fan.

For some reason I’ve always wanted to see Vacancy even though it’s normally a genre I don’t care for.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lord_Lyndon wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:20 pm
If I understood it correctly, they were all living in a kind of simulation. I think the point was that the main character, Roger Smith, realized that in the end. And despite the fact that he was aware that they were all simulated beings, he insisted that their identity, existence and relationships they forged, especially in his relation to female character Angel, were actually 'real' and very meaningful. In my opinion, that was a a very poignant way to end the series.
I was never sure if it was simulation thing or if Angel was like, literally some kind of creator deity and that there were some kind of time loop shenanigans set afoot in that final scene. Either way, I think thematically you're right with what the show is doing.
I thought it was very good. The highlight of the film were definitely scenes of family living in Texas. By the way, I still haven't seen the extended version of the film, which is 3 hours long. Which means it has 40 additional minutes when compared to theatrical cut. I presume it expands on Sean Penn's character. He was barely in the original cut. I am very interested to find out about his character more, especially because I'm a big fan of Sean Penn. Believe it or not.
Yeah I've also only seen the theatrical cut. Not really sure what the director's cut adds.

Sean Penn...I dunno. He's a perfectly fine actor but I've never had very strong feelings about him one way or another.
Lord_Lyndon
Super Poster

Post by Lord_Lyndon »

9. The Bone Collector (1999; Phillip Noyce)
Haven't seen this one in ages. I decided to rewatch it mostly because Angelina Jolie is in it. It is a very good police procedural/serial killer film with some moody visuals and good performances from Angelina Jolie and Denzel Washington.

10. Apocalypse Now: Final Cut (1979; Francis Ford Coppola)
Coppola released this version in 2019. He decided to make it because he felt people were not satisfied with the redux version. Naturally, this version is longer than theatrical and shorter than redux version. Anyway, this is the greatest war film ever made. It is in my top 5 favourite films of all time.

11. The Great Dictator (1940; Charles Chaplin)
Rewatch after more than 10 years. This is a not very subtle satire/comedy. However, it is a masterpiece and Chaplin's greatest film with Modern Times.

12. Lost Highway (1997; David Lynch)
Rewatch after more than 10 years. A fantastic film from Lynch which shows his penchant for surreal mystery and atmospheric visuals.

13. Winter Sleep (2014; Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
A pretty solid art film from Turkey. It was very talkative which is not really my cup of tea.

14. Kong: Skull Island (2017; Jordan Vogt-Roberts)
I didn't like this when I saw it in 2020. I decided to rewatch it because Rax really liked it. After rewatching it, I changed my opinion. It is a pretty great, visually stunning film with great action sequences, beautiful scenery, Kong and other creatures looked great, John C. Reilly and legendary Samuel L. Jackson gave really good performances. Really great entertainment.