Can't help but find it hard to sympathise with them.

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Whitey

Can't help but find it hard to sympathise with them.

Post by Whitey »

I mean, the cause itself is a good one and I do support it, but I tend to think they've not picked the right way to deal with it, I don't think it's an appropriate target, nor an effective one. I'd rather they pick more effective targets.

Though I am willing to accept I'm wrong on this and that it's entirely right and appropriate, it's more a gut feeling I've had.

Edit:

To clarify, I tend to think that they could have been smarter with this. If what 95% of the people your protest reaches thinks, is 'Fucking assholes made me late', and not 'Hmm, I feel educated on this social issue and I want to learn more', you've done it wrong. I believe a black group protesting for similar reasons did the same thing a few days later but allowed disabled people to pass through and people with young families. And also had campus staff give directions to the quickest way to walk around. THAT is how it should have been done.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Re: Can't help but find it hard to sympathise with them.

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

Plenty of protests occur on campus, it's kind of 'safe' so not really that effective but don't see much of a problem.

Edit: Oh see your edit. Meh, don't have too much sympathy for the mildly inconvenienced. Unless it's me.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

It's more that I think it's wildly ineffective to the point of being harmful. The vast majority are just going to think the protesters are ass holes and not think about the message. I'd have probably tried to walk through, been stopped, and walked around, or just hopped up on the plants/wooded area to the side of them and gone past them.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

College students are too young to understand anything well enough to stage an intelligent protest. I didn't watch the video. I don't need to since I'm always right.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Protests have a pretty long history of being disruptive. Having a nice chat with people is usually the least effective, at least when trying to make an issue acknowledged.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I'd think at the very least it would have been less harmful to just try and talk though.

Possibly they could have said "If you listen to what we have to say for 1 minute, we will let you pass". That would have been more effective.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Pussy. Civil disobedience 4eva
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Well you are Scottish, Civil Disobedience is in your culture.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

As his having that civil disobedience ruthlessly put down by people better than they are [none]
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Indeed. When are we going on a raiding party to put Nicola Sturgeon back in her box?
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

College students who protest are mostly young and tend to believe that when they fight for a cause, it's a just cause.
So I just say: Let them grow up. Then, in 10 years, they can get annoyed if they are inconvenienced by new students who will be protesting.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

My university sets tires on fire on public streets. We are hardcore like that!