Singapore Maths' Puzzle

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Re: Singapore Maths' Puzzle

Post by phe_de »

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:So whilst I take your point, I would counter with Maths is largely logic - not numbers - there's a hell of a lot more to it than just arithmetic!
Point taken. Guess I was thinking about maths in the calculating sense.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

CashRules wrote:Monk, you may have been gone from the IMDB board at the time, but the "I agree with Dork" meme started when GI made a reply to one of Dork's threads stating "I agree with Dork" and then listed the things he "agreed" with Dork about, all of which were the exact opposite of what Dork had said. So, being me, I followed that up by stating "I agree with Dork, gun ownership should be mandatory and women shouldn't vote because it's their husbands place to vote on their behalf." Fun times.

[laugh]

I totally missed that one, but it sounds exactly like something GI would do.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I'm still not sure anything can ever top "Sharks aren't fish." soon followed by "Okay, sharks are fish but they're not mammals like dolphins and whales so I was right anyway>"
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

That's probably my favorite as well
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

moar like Blingapore
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I can't chose between these 3 for my favorite:

1. "The wrong end of an AK-47" - GI once said that he hoped someone would end up on the wrong end of an AK-47. When people said that that was a bit extreme; that he didn't deserve to be harmed; GI insisted that he didn't want them to be harmed; because the "wrong end" of an AK-47 would be the end that doesn't fire.

2. "0 is not a square number" - After it was proven to him that 0 is indeed a square number, he changed his stance to "ok, it's a square number, but it's not a perfect square". No amount of links to mathematical definitions would make him admit that there's absolutely no difference between "square number" and "perfect square" as far as math is concerned.

3. "Several people PM'd me saying that they got the joke" - Creep once started a thread with a list of things, I think it was a list of gay stereotypes or something, I can't remember. On that list was "lisp." GI replied to the thread saying "you forgot 'lisp'." He obviously just missed it in the OP... but for whatever strange reason he didn't want to admit that. So when it was pointed out that "lisp" was already on the list, he said that he meant the British Spelling, while the OP had the American spelling. People got understandably confused, and said that there weren't 2 different spellings, and either way his spelling was the same as the OP's. He said that it was obviously just a joke, and we were stupid for not getting the joke. And that several people had sent him a PM saying that they got the joke.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I'd forgotten the 0 is a square number debacle. He was also one of the main people trying to deny that 0.9999 with a bar over any number of 9s = 1. But that one can't be blamed on GI being GI since a lot of people have trouble with it. But the fact that he kept arguing for days with several people with a math background, well I think we all know how I feel about that.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

The one I will never forget is his absolutely certainty over the fact that women only have two holes down there, even when several women on the board were like, nooooo, I think I can count myself fairly certain on this one.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Wow, that dude sounds hilarious. We should invite him here.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

100% certain? [none]
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Oh man, I forgot about some of these. The "several people PM'd me" was great

Didn't he also say that you can't add zeros after a decimal point, or it would make it a different number (e.g. 7.01 =/= 7.010). I'm pretty certain he did.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Monk wrote:Oh man, I forgot about some of these. The "several people PM'd me" was great

Didn't he also say that you can't add zeros after a decimal point, or it would make it a different number (e.g. 7.01 =/= 7.010). I'm pretty certain he did.
I don't remember that; but seems like something he'd do. He also argued against the math with a Monty Hall problem thing (not the actual Monty Hall problem; he was right on that one. But a similar problem with a different answer).