Sooo... Excel

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Dr_Liszt

Sooo... Excel

Post by Dr_Liszt »

How does that thing work?
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Re: Sooo... Excel

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

You're probably gonna have to be a little more specific.

Excel is one of the most amazingly useful programs ever.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Well I have to enter the data of some surveys in tables. So I can make graphics out of it. So basically they're going to be 32 graphics. [none]

So I have to enter data of 60 surveys into 32 tables. How do I do that? Do I have to do a table per survey or is there like an excel trick?

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Yeah - still not 100% sure of what's going on.

Are the tables preformatted or do you need to build them? If you have to build them, what are the inputs?
When you say "32 tables" what exactly do you mean?.., are there 32 different types of independent results that you are capturing

Excel is used for aggregating data - how you do that is largely up to you. Potentially you could build a worksheet for every survey and massage that data anyway you like in any given number of summary worksheets that draw their results from the inputted data ..

Lets say you want to aggregate the numbers of sales of a certain product over time. One column would be the time parameter (month/day/year .. however you have received the data and want to output the results) the other columns would be whatever the product is (product number - description - price, once again, in whatever format you need it to be in and depending on what you have delivered)
You could potentially build a separate worksheet for each Product with and aggregate the results depending on whatever time frame you want them to appear on your spreadsheet summary - then link this result into the summary work sheet so that the entire thing is dynamic.. Then using the data - you could produce any given number of graphics depending on what it is that you want to show.

Without knowing exact specifics (like - whats the data? .. what are you attempting to show in your graphics, is the input data standardised or is it variable (in terms of format) .. and what is your working level knowledge of Excel). (do you know what work sheets are, how to use formula's, how to reference cells? .. how to link data from multiple pages onto a summary work sheet - how to use graphs, what the different types of graphs show.. it's gonna be pretty difficult to help you out.

If you have never used excel before - then be prepared for quite a learning curve. I don't think its all that hard of a program but, its has some pretty unique functionality that makes it a tool for people who understand how to massage data and have specific needs in this regard rather than just an app to play around with.

Seriously - I'd have a read thru the help or look up a couple of youtubes ...
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

It doesn't help that I'm tired and I have a headache.

In the past, I'd just call someone to give me the tables with the formulas done so I can put my own data like a monkey. And after that is done, excel practically does everything for you. So no I have to make the tables from scratch. [sad]

Ok. Basically I have three variables. Three materials competing with each other to see which one is more popular. So the thing is according to my survey I have to put... this would be easier if you were here. [none]
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

do you still have any old worksheets that you can copy from. The first rule of anything technical is, don't reinvent the wheel.

Doesn't sound too complicated tho .. essentially you would need a header for the x and the y axis. The X axis is the products, the y axis would be the number of each.

You would then need a column for the numbers of people who like that product.. Is that right?

I have no idea why you would need 32 graphs to summarise that tho, I'm guessing there is much more to this then right?...

And you are correct - it would be much easier if I was there, for a moderate fee and business class travel .. I could be .. does Whitey know excel? .. if you have lync, you could share your desktop with him and he could walk you thru it.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Yes, is not complicated. Is figuring out how to organize the stuff and it goes non-stop there. I did a similar thing last year but like I said, I asked for the tables already made and just reintroduced my own data.

And the silly Brit is sleeping right now. Because of the stupid Green Witch.

EDIT: Gimme a second and I'll try to explain it better. I am feeling a little bit better now but I will eat first. Thank you.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

Let me know if I can help. I've developed complete tools in Excel, complete with VBA automation. It's my job.

I'll expect free dental in return.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Thank you. I will let you know once I have a clearer idea of what I can do. Otherwise I'd have to fly you guys over here. In fact, all of you should get over here, we'll have the orgy party I've always wanted!
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Mark me down as the third person with extensive Excel experience.

The white men are here to help, I swear. You can trust us. [yes]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

SUMIF.

That's all I have to say about Excel.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Gendo wrote:SUMIF.

[laugh]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

You left out vlookup and hlookup.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Pope Bucky wrote:

You left out vlookup and hlookup.
Nah... INDEX, MATCH and Pivottables. Once you've got the hang of those you can do 99% of the things you'll ever need to do in Excel.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

There is a reason for my reply. About 4 years ago at my job, I was working on generating an Excel spreadsheet programatically; and this spreadsheet was super-complex. Needed macros and stuff to be able to calculate all the stuff and things like that. Well anyway, after working for several hours or a particularly complex formula that used macros, while doing a bit of research I came across SUMIF. Discovered that it basically did in 1 built-in function what I had been trying to do. It was exciting.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Gendo wrote:There is a reason for my reply. About 4 years ago at my job, I was working on generating an Excel spreadsheet programatically; and this spreadsheet was super-complex. Needed macros and stuff to be able to calculate all the stuff and things like that. Well anyway, after working for several hours or a particularly complex formula that used macros, while doing a bit of research I came across SUMIF. Discovered that it basically did in 1 built-in function what I had been trying to do. It was exciting.
I can respect that.

It is kind of fun (and weirdly exciting) when you discover a "new" function that solves a previously "difficult" task simply or elegantly.

(Perhaps we need to get out more?)
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

MY LIFE IS SO COMPLICATED!!!

Anyway, I figured how to do the tables now. The thing is, that it's a mess.
It's a study about preference, I have three options, and those three options are divided into three preferences. So it's quite a task, it's even more complicated to explain since you silly guys don't speak Spanish.
Who else speak Spanish here? Am I the only one? This is lame, I'm going to invite people from Argentina. [none]
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

Yo hablo frijoles.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Dos cervezas por favour.

(It all the Spanish I ever needed)
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

We don't use crazy extra letters that serve no purpose in Spanish. [none]
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Meh.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Dr_Liszt wrote:We don't use crazy extra letters that serve no purpose in Spanish. [none]
You mean like the h in "yo hablo espanol"?
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

[none]

DAMMIT!

Well... in some cases it's meant to differentiate words that mean different things, instead of using the same word and have the context give it meaning. Like English!
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

OK, I have my first question.

Basically I have 16 bar charts and I need to change the color in all of them. Does anyone know if there is a way where I can choose the color I want and apply it to each automatically, or is this not possible and I have to do it one by one?