Liberté, égalité, fraternité - millions take to the streets across France

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Liberté, égalité, fraternité - millions take to the streets across France

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... WEML6619I2

An estimated 3.7 million people of all ages, races, creeds etc. on the streets of France united against terrorism. It's just a shame all those hypocritical politicians had to show up and try and hog the limelight.
LSK
Frequenter

Re: Liberté, égalité, fraternité - millions take to the streets across France

Post by LSK »

Absolutely wonderful. It's moments like this that manage to reignite the flames of "human solidarity" in my cold, dead, cynical, rugged-individualist heart.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

They should have killed the politicians right there and then. They are after all the biggest terrorists this world has. SO OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I agree with Liszt. It sucks when politicians that perpetrate issues join the cause against those issues. It's like, ugh, leave us alone. All it's doing is opening up the door for justifying further bullshit in the Middle East.

If you want to kill something, adopt it.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It's not just the hypocritical politicians...the politics of the whole thing is fucked. It's too narrow and completely power-serving.

Imagine if we had journalists publishing white supremacist/anti-black propaganda, or anti-semitic articles/cartoons in Nazi Germany. Then some extremist resistance groups murders the journalists. Can you imagine people marching for the "free speech rights" of the journalists? Can you imagine black people feeling the need to join the marches to condemn the extremists? All of them holding signs/chanting "I am so and so"?

Why aren't they also condemning the racist retaliations Muslims are facing and will face? No, it's mostly just "FREE SPEECH".."JE SUIS CHARLIE HEBDO".
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Solidarity without justice is not true solidarity.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Yeah, smells a lot like the March on Washington bullshit when MLK was allowed to hold a "march" to bring to light social injustices and all kinds of white politicians and "sympathizers" joined in with smiles on their faces. Why don't people see how...fake shit like this is?

Oh, and people aren't condemning racist retaliations because once the dust settles they want to go back to being racist. For a lot of them, right now is brotherhood time because it's the cool thing to do. The "quiet" racists don't want to say what's really on their mind so they're standing in "solidarity" with the Muslims of France. It's the sly fox, you see.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Cassius Clay wrote:Can you imagine black people feeling the need to join the marches to condemn the extremists? All of them holding signs/chanting "I am so and so"?
No, I can't imagine them doing that. I wonder why they felt the need to do so here?
Why aren't they also condemning the racist retaliations Muslims are facing and will face?
This is the "why aren't these ordinary Muslims condemning terrorist attacks carried out in their name" line we hear every time an Islamic extremist carries out an attack.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:
Why aren't they also condemning the racist retaliations Muslims are facing and will face?
This is the "why aren't these ordinary Muslims condemning terrorist attacks carried out in their name" line we hear every time an Islamic extremist carries out an attack.
Wait, what? I don't see how his question is at all related to "why aren't Muslims condemning the terrorist attacks?" He's asking why isn't there as much condemnation of the terrible things that are being done to Muslims as there is condemnation of these other terrible things. It seems like it's the complete opposite of that other thing that people say (the other thing is anti-Muslim; his question is in support of Muslims).
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Besides we are talking about a country that banned pro-Palestinian marches. WOHOO for free speech! [roll]

+3 dead puppies.
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

He is asking why the response to the terrorist attack by those targeted didn't include denouncement of thoughtless retaliation from their own group.

The latter is demanding to know why those being unfairly lumped in with the attacking body didn't denounce those who actually attacked.

In either case, both were actually denounced by the mentioned parties, but neither got as much airplay as 'OMG TERRORISM" or the sight of the victims marching in protest.
Even I find my avatar disturbing.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

The new number of Charlie Hebdo is out. A drawing of Mohammed on the cover. Three million copies printed.

I am in France right now for work-related reasons, and hope to get a copy. But it will be difficult; according to French news, people are lining up to get their copies.

Take that, Islamists.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:Can you imagine black people feeling the need to join the marches to condemn the extremists? All of them holding signs/chanting "I am so and so"?
No, I can't imagine them doing that. I wonder why they felt the need to do so here?
I was pointing out the hypocrisy. This whole "solidarity" nonsense is very one-sided.

An oppressed Muslim population is expected to condemn the terrorist attacks, yet the population with power are not expected to condemn the racist retaliations. Plus the condemnation of the retaliations is the much more sorely needed one.
Last edited by Cassius Clay on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

sikax wrote:Yeah, smells a lot like the March on Washington bullshit when MLK was allowed to hold a "march" to bring to light social injustices and all kinds of white politicians and "sympathizers" joined in with smiles on their faces. Why don't people see how...fake shit like this is?

Oh, and people aren't condemning racist retaliations because once the dust settles they want to go back to being racist. For a lot of them, right now is brotherhood time because it's the cool thing to do. The "quiet" racists don't want to say what's really on their mind so they're standing in "solidarity" with the Muslims of France. It's the sly fox, you see.
True. They get to hide their abuse behind so-called "good intentions". Pretending they stand for fairness/rightness. And people just eat it up.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Charlie Hebdo is completely sold out in France; at least where I asked.
I didn't get a copy, but I am sort of enjoying Charlie's success. Each sold copy is a slap in the face of Islamists. Good.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lol..yes, we get it. "We're not afraid of the Muslims we basically have absolute power over, and we're gonna rub it in their face by continuing to disrespect and demoralize them!!"

Much brave. Very subversion. [none]

White Westerners are so oppressed.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

phe_de wrote:Charlie Hebdo is completely sold out in France; at least where I asked.
I didn't get a copy, but I am sort of enjoying Charlie's success. Each sold copy is a slap in the face of Islamists. Good.
[roll]

+5 dead puppies.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Oh my God phe de shut the fuck up. For the puppies if nothing else.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lol. I remember the issue with the racist Jezebel article. He went out of his way to boast about how many likes the article got and that he added a like to it as well. I mean, when what is at stake is the potential degradation of black women, and you have many black women talking about how dehumanizing it was, he thought it was a good idea to rub it in. "Yeah! Take that, black women!!" Now, it's this.

It's one thing to disagree about this issue, and it's one thing to add likes to the article, but going out of the way to rub it in is almost psychopathic. Even if you disagree, at least have a little respect for what's potentially at stake for the side you disagree with. Jesus.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Oh my God phe de shut the fuck up.
I don't plan to.
Derived Absurdity wrote:For the puppies if nothing else.
I'm not the one killing them.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Cassius Clay wrote:Even if you disagree, at least have a little respect for what's potentially at stake for the side you disagree with.
If the side I disagree with is killing unarmed people, I don't have to show respect to them.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

So are you grouping the killers with the oppressed Muslim population?

If you can do that, the same can easily be done to your side(and more justifiably)...let's see which side has more blood on it's hands.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Cassius Clay wrote:So are you grouping the killers with the oppressed Muslim population?
The side I disagree with is "Islamists", as mentioned in my posts above. I don't have a problem with Muslims who leave secularists alone.

Here's an article I found that is not bad.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/941 ... islamists/

I'll quote the first paragraph (emphasis by me):
Qanta Ahmed wrote:The terror attack in Paris last week represents Islamism's most explicit declaration of war on free society. Non-Muslims were slaughtered in a non-Muslim country to avenge a so-called crime against a blasphemy law that is not even Islamic — but merely Islamist. If there's any blasphemy here, it's that of Islamism itself against my religion, Islam.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Well, I honestly find that distinction disingenuous when it comes from people like you(based off what I understand about your politics)...when it's used to justify your problematic attitudes/behavior. When you can appreciate the full context, it seems very similar to the distinction racists whites make between "niggers" and "black people", to justify their own racism, while simultaneously pretending they aren't racist because at least they recognize the "humanity" of certain "black people" that aren't troublemakers.

You think you can simply leave out an oppressed minority of "Muslims who leave secularists alone", when you are celebrating hate speech and/or disrespecting things they hold dear...to get back at those "Islamists"....simply in the name of "BECAUSE I CAN"?? Unnecessarily adding fuel to an already terribly anti-Muslim fire? Lol. Silly boy. Just urinating on people who are already down.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Cassius Clay wrote:Well, I honestly find that distinction disingenuous when it comes from people like you
And when it comes from Qanta Ahmed, the person who wrote the article I linked?
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

When you can appreciate the full context, it seems very similar to the distinction racists whites make between "niggers" and "black people", to justify their own racism, while simultaneously pretending they aren't racist because at least they recognize the "humanity" of certain "black people" that aren't troublemakers.
The distinction between violent extremists and peaceful practitioners is as "niggers are to black people"? The peaceful practitioners themselves (such as the author of that article) seem eager to make a distinction, and the fact the distinction exists is why we're lamenting wide-spread violent reaction against Muslims in France as a whole. It's the lack of that same distinction in the minds of some which is allowing the violence to occur.
Even I find my avatar disturbing.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'm aware there is a distinction. Which is why I specifically said "people like him". Because of the way they use that distinction to justify their bullshit...the whole way they frame it. The second paragraph should have made my point even more crystal clear, if you would read a little less selectively.
Last edited by Cassius Clay on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

phe_de wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:Well, I honestly find that distinction disingenuous when it comes from people like you
And when it comes from Qanta Ahmed, the person who wrote the article I linked?
I don't care to read that right now. I'm talking about you.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

The European support for Charlie Hebdo continues.
Today, they were shipped to Germany, and sold out within minutes. I still don't have a copy.

Europe, both with magazines and police forces, is willing to stand up to Islamists.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

phe_de wrote:The European support for Charlie Hebdo continues.
Today, they were shipped to Germany, and sold out within minutes. I still don't have a copy.

Europe, both with magazines and police forces, is willing to stand up to Islamists.
Conversely, I hope Germany is still willing to stand up to the Pegida marches. I know before the Paris attacks the counter-marches were heavily outnumbering Pegida, I really hope that's still the case.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Ptolemy_Banana wrote:Conversely, I hope Germany is still willing to stand up to the Pegida marches. I know before the Paris attacks the counter-marches were heavily outnumbering Pegida, I really hope that's still the case.
Apparently, Islamists are doing Pegida's work right now.
The marches in Dresden scheduled for tomorrow (both in favor and against Pegida) have been outlawed, because the police fears that Islamists would use them to commit attacks. I don't know where they got their intel; but I believe that this will make people more sympathetic to Pegida.

In other cities, the Anti-Pegida marches still outnumber the pro-Pegida marches. Hopefully it will stay this way.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

I just googled what Pegida is and OMG someone should gather all those losers and bomb them out of this universe! It's really the most idiotic racist thing in Germany, and they want to be like Switzerland? I mean, Germany is a cool country with it's own history and people, why the fuck would anyone from there would want to be like fucking Switzerland?!
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

OK. Coming back to this subject a little bit more serious, someone should go and tell those fuckers that most of those "demands" are nothing but political ploys to cause division among the population so they can continue voting for the same politicians like sheep.

It's the same as minimum wage talk among politicians. Do you think minimum wage conversations has any economical back up? Most of the time the answer is NO. It's just a way people in power use to lure people in. So other politicians use things like Ban the Burka, Death Penalty, Longer Prision Time, Tax Cut, etc, etc. It doesn't mean anything in the long run, is just a way to get you voting, cause division, feed your racism and fear, and keep people voting like idiots. Keep those in power while you fight among yourselves.

This reminds me of the rap Troy posted in the Politics board, what many people fail to understand is that we as natives from a country have more in common with the immigrants than we have with our own politicians. This is true ANYWHERE in this planet.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Computer programmers also are supporting the right to free speech.

The latest update of Notepad++ (a free text editor) contains a message.
Notepad++ wrote:Freedom of expression is like the air we breathe, we don't feel it, until people take it away from us.

For this reason, Je suis Charlie, not because I endorse everything they published, but because I cherish the right to speak out freely without risk even when it offends others.
And no, you cannot just take someone's life for whatever he/she expressed.

Hence this "Je suis Charlie" edition.
- #JeSuisCharlie
I agree.

EDIT to see if I can add the Notepad++ version.
20150122_NotepadIsCharlie.png
20150122_NotepadIsCharlie.png (18.43 KiB) Viewed 8550 times
Yup. Works.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Dr_Liszt wrote:most of those "demands" are nothing but political ploys to cause division among the population so they can continue voting for the same politicians like sheep. .... It doesn't mean anything in the long run, is just a way to get you voting, cause division, feed your racism and fear, and keep people voting like idiots. Keep those in power while you fight among yourselves.
Viva la revolucion!