Site Admin

Re: Flicks I seen

Post by Gendo »

You don't think it feels like Scorsese?

sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I couldn't stomach more than a minute of that.....
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Do you not like Honest Trailers in general, or is this the first one you've seen, or is it just this one you didn't like?

*Edit* The 2 minute mark is the part where it shows how similar it is to other Scorsese films.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Make it stop!!!!!

No, I've never watched any of these things. And now I don't like them. [none]

I still don't think it feels like Scorsese. Maybe it's too upbeat. He might use similar frames in his other films, but the tempo is all off. Not off like it's a bad movie, just that it's a departure for Scorsese.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

If you don't like Honest Trailers, I'd hate to see your reaction to Cinemasins.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

If you guys aren't already familiar with this site, check it out and fall in love. It's very informative and interesting.

http://filmmakeriq.com/
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flicks re-seen

Batman Begins - 9/10
I love how Rachel is the wisest person in the whole movie. Everything she says ends up being a paramount aspect of Bruce's whole philosophy. Then she turns into Maggie Gyllenhaal and becomes a complete asshat. [none]

Swingers - 8.5/10
Vince Vaughn: Top five funniest people ever.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape - 7.49/10
I hadn't seen this since I was a kid. Terribly sad movie near the end. Pretty funny though.
Last edited by sikax on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Batman Begins is easily the best of the trilogy. It would be a masterpiece if it wasn't for the last act. It's so much better than TDK it's not even funny. (Also there wasn't as much blatant fascism in it.)

Also that website is interesting.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

What don't you like about the last act of Batman Begins?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

It's just a fairly sharp dip in quality. The first two acts were almost flawless, but the last act was corny, cartoonish, nonsensical, had obvious editing mistakes, ridiculous dialogue, and incoherent character motivations. It's like it switched to an entirely different movie, or that Nolan just gave up two-thirds of the way through.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flicks re-seen

Forrest Gump - 10/10

The Dark Knight - 9/10
I only have one question: Did The Joker really believe Dent was Batman? He couldn't possibly be that stupid. They made it seem like he fell for the ruse, but perhaps he indeed did know the plan and just wanted to kill Dent, knowing Bruce would show up and so he could kill two birds with one stone? I want to believe he didn't really fall for that.

A Late Quartet - 8/10
Christopher Walken, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, and some other guy form a famous and successful string quartet. Hoffman and Keener are married, Walken has Parkinson's and the fourth guy slept with Hoffman and Keener's daughter. All kinds of shit going on. But there are a lot of poetic undertones that can be appreciated. Not bad.

Rubber - ??/10
A renegade tire (yes, tire) goes on a murdering spree. Um, yeah.

Valhalla Rising - 7.234/10
Director of Drive made a movie about a Viking demon or something stumbling upon North America. Or something. Weird shit. Visually beautiful.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just now finish TDKR. Really was quite average.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flicks re-seen

Following - 8/10
Christopher Nolan's debut. It's pretty good. You can definitely see where he was going when he finally got to Memento. Interesting flick.

Glengarry Glen Ross - 6/10
A bunch of salesmen arguing about something.

Kingpin - 8/10
Hilarious.

The Wedding Singer - 7/10
Also hilarious.

Top Gun - 7/10
The most hilarious.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I've been meaning to watch Following ever since Robin recommended it. It's the only Nolan I haven't seen; not counting some short he did before that. Actually I've been thinking about just doing a Nolan marathon after I pick up Interstellar.

Kingpin never gets old; seen it so many times.

I finally saw Top Gun for the first time a few months ago. It was ok, but wasn't quite sure why it was so famous.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I wasn't around when Top Gun came out but I can see why it would have been super awesome for testosterone-infused college types. I read that the Navy saw a massive rise in admissions when that movie came out. They even had recruiting tables set up at theaters. [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Love & Mercy - 8/10.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I saw that. [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

sikax wrote:I saw that. [none]
Yeah. & You overrated it.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I mean I saw that you changed your rating from a 7 to an 8.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

sikax wrote:I mean I saw that you changed your rating from a 7 to an 8.
Ah. Well I reevaluated.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Hmm, I thought it was set so that all edits show that the post has been edited... but maybe it's only if the edit was made after a minute or something.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:Hmm, I thought it was set so that all edits show that the post has been edited... but maybe it's only if the edit was made after a minute or something.
I'm sure I made my edit well after a minute though. Not that I was trying to be dishonest w/ it.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

I've noticed that the edit indicator thingy only shows up if the post is no longer the most recent post.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flick re-seen

Se7en
This is one of my favorite films, but I have one major splinter in my head about it that I have yet to figure out. Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen this.

All of John Doe's victims were, in his mind, guilty of committing the sins, yes? Fat guy killed for gluttony, prostitute killed for lust, lawyer for greed, inactive person for sloth, model for pride, and himself for envy. But what about Tracy, Mills' wife? She had committed no sin. And Mills, the one who committed wrath, was not killed at all. Shouldn't it follow, after all the previous murders, that the sinner is killed? I mean, I get that killing Tracy triggered Mills into killing Doe and completing his plan, but the fact that Tracy died and Mills did not is completely off-track from the rest of the movie and John Doe's motives. So unless someone can illuminate how this makes any sense then I'm forced to dock this movie a big fat point for that. It's extremely frustrating.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

sikax wrote:I've noticed that the edit indicator thingy only shows up if the post is no longer the most recent post.
Ah thanks, I remember that being the setting now. The idea is that if no one has replied to your post yet, then it shouldn't matter if you changed it; so you can't edit a post to make someone's reply look dumb.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

sikax wrote:Flick re-seen

Se7en
This is one of my favorite films, but I have one major splinter in my head about it that I have yet to figure out. Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen this.

All of John Doe's victims were, in his mind, guilty of committing the sins, yes? Fat guy killed for gluttony, prostitute killed for lust, lawyer for greed, inactive person for sloth, model for pride, and himself for envy. But what about Tracy, Mills' wife? She had committed no sin. And Mills, the one who committed wrath, was not killed at all. Shouldn't it follow, after all the previous murders, that the sinner is killed? I mean, I get that killing Tracy triggered Mills into killing Doe and completing his plan, but the fact that Tracy died and Mills did not is completely off-track from the rest of the movie and John Doe's motives. So unless someone can illuminate how this makes any sense then I'm forced to dock this movie a big fat point for that. It's extremely frustrating.
This is a leap, but a possible explanation... being married, they are considered one, and thus responsible for one another's sins. Of course one problem with this is that the sin would have occurred only after the punishment for the sin. And does that matter to John Doe? I dunno. Maybe he was ok with punishing a sin that he knew would happen later.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Mmmmmm naw, that ain't landing with me. But, maybe there's something there. Doe did say he wanted to "play the husband".

I want to think killing Tracy had something to do with her abortion. It wasn't explicitly stated that she decided to have one, but Somerset said, "If you decide to have an abortion, never tell David that you were pregnant." And David doesn't know, so one might assume she had an abortion. Maybe Doe didn't like that and wanted to kill her for her sin, but that still doesn't follow his M.O. So, I still don't know how to justify this!
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flicks re-seen

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (on 35mm film!)
This is my favorite film. I finally saw it on the big screen. I am happy.

The Departed
Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin are the best parts of this film.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

If Doe's sin is envy, killing Tracy is him acting on that sin. Attempting to seduce her would be more like lust, not envy, but murder is an act of envy. And David's punishment is a life in jail, with people he hates and put behind bars. That's effectively a death sentence.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

That's the best explanation I've ever heard. I'll ponder it. Cheers, Master Bruce.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

^ Segue, into

Flick re-seen

The Dark Knight Rises
I imagine it may have been beneficial for Bane if he at some point revealed the identity of Batman just like he exposed Gordon. I wonder why he didn't. [hmm]
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Both Ra's al Ghul and Talia have a long standing rule that none of their associates are allowed to reveal Batman's identity. Regardless of their differences, Bruce Wayne has earned enough respect from Ra's that nobody is allowed to break that rule and live to brag about it. TDKR didn't actually mention this fact but it has been an element of the mythology for as long as the conflict between Batman and the League of Assassins has existed. Yes, League of Assassins is the correct name.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Fair enough.

Then again, Bane kind of did reveal it to SOME people, like Selina and whoever else was around during the fight in the sewer. So I assume Bane's whole crew knows. I guess they aren't civilians though. And Bane disobeyed Talia's orders at the end not to kill Bruce, so it's within reason that he'd get his jollies off and yell it to the world, but, what you said makes sense.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Yeah. And I couldn't help feeling that Wolf could have been a good hour shorter and not really lost anything. But then that's possibly true of a lot of Scorsese's films.

But as you say it was generally fun.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Beasts of No Nation - 7.99/10

Spectacular performance from Abraham Attah who plays a boy recruited by a rebel army in West Africa after witnessing his family murdered. His new boss' schtick is that he should fight this random anonymous army over here because they're the ones who killed your family. Doesn't really matter who we kill as long as we kill them. Idris Elba plays the vanity-driven bossman pretty well. The kids' performances take this film from good to really good. It never gets great, though, unfortunately. It probably could have, but it didn't. Really heavy and poignant final scene. Worth a shot.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flick re-seen

2001: A Space Odyssey
Can someone who's a big fan of this film please tell me what you like about it? Thank you.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

sikax wrote:Flick re-seen

2001: A Space Odyssey
Can someone who's a big fan of this film please tell me what you like about it? Thank you.
Talk to worov. [none]

I think the visuals and music are great. And that's all. Way overrated as a whole.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

We need Eva here.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Flicks re-seen

Good Will Hunting

Rain Man

Leon: The Professional

Major League

And some other ones I can't remember right now.
Dr_Liszt

Post by Dr_Liszt »

I like Rain Man and Leon.

I saw the Descent and the Descent 2. They were awesome. I also saw Jessabelle and it's the Skeleton Key all over again.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

So, it's been 22 days since posting here, and I've seen probably a hundred movies in that span. No way to remember them all. Mostly older things on Netflix. I also saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in 35mm at my local classic theater, which was great. One of my all-time favorites. Notable things I've seen on Netflix lately are The Devil's Advocate, eXistenZ, The Pyramid, We Are What We Are (really pretty great little horror flick) and others.

Woo!
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

If y'all like Shutter Island for the campiness, music and atmosphere...then you'd love Cape Fear with Deniro and Nolte.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Shutter island has at least three distinct advantages over Cape Fear:

1) No DeNiro

2) No Nolte

3) Michelle Williams' tits
__
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I can understand the Nolte hate but who the hell hates Robert DeNiro?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

People who don't like actors who play the same character in every movie. I think somebody must have once given De Niro acting advice by saying "just go out there and be yourself" and he just kept on doing it.
__
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

DiCaprio does the same thing. Coincidentally, that's kinda why I didn't like Shutter Island that much.

And love her or hate her, a young Juliette Lewis' performance in Cape Fear was incredible. She walked the line between annoying and adorable.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I'm not much of a DiCaprio fan either but I've had many more years to hate De Niro.
__
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Macbeth - 9.2/10

Very good. Marion Cotillard and Michael Fassbender doing Shakespeare was a great idea. Highly recommended.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Ha! I just watched The Dark Knight Rises again and as soon as I log on the newest post mentions Marion Cotillard. This is obviously a sign from God. He's telling me I watch too many superhero movies.
__
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

The Big Short

A lot of technical jargon about banks and real estate that I didn't understand adding up to explaining the housing crisis and global economic collapse in the mid-to-late-2000s. Entertaining performances from Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, Steve Carrell and others. Ultimately, however, not really digestible. Informative, maybe, if you're into that kind of thing.