The birth of my son

sikax
Ultimate Poster

The birth of my son

Post by sikax »

is the only life event of mine that can rival the happiness I felt at seeing Blur play at the Hollywood Bowl this week. It was stupefying. [biggrin]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Re: The birth of my son

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I'm assuming Song 2 was involved somewhere?
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

They did play it, yes.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I didn't know Blur were still performing. Thought they'd split years ago now Albarn's involved with the Gorillaz. Colour me surprised.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

They made a big comeback in 2009/2010 playing at Glastonbury and Hyde Park. Then they made an album and are doing a huge world tour right now. Los Angeles, thank God, was one of their stops. After this, though, they'll probably be done.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Ah right. I was never really into Blur when they were big in the UK, and their whole rivalry thing with Oasis. Only really listened to them a few years ago when a friend lent me their 'Best of' album. Think 'Beetlebum' is probably my favourite track of theirs.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Like most Americans, I got into them after getting into Gorillaz. I didn't know anything about their success in the 90s until delving in deep. They quickly became my favorite thing. I saw Gorillaz live in 2010, and that was wonderful, but nothing compares to seeing Blur. And apparently "Song 2" is the only song Americans know. Sad.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Yeah, I read the Wikipedia page for the song a while ago. It seems to have been used in the US for a lot of stuff, mainly adverts and celebration music for points/goals scored in various sports. I think most people in the UK would know Song 2, Beetlebum and Park Life, but you might be hard pressed to name many more off the top of you head unless you're a fan. I've drifted in and out of like with the Gorillaz. I got their first album, and I've enjoyed a fair few of their singles since, but I generally just stick with my classic rock bands now.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Hm, I thought they were way bigger in the UK. I am indeed a huge fan. Nice to know I know more about them than the average Brit. [none]

Also, Fred Armisen (the guy from SNL) showed up at the show and played "Parklife" with them. It was hilarious.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

What sport do they play? [none]
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Arena Football
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Blade Azaezel wrote:Yeah, I read the Wikipedia page for the song a while ago. It seems to have been used in the US for a lot of stuff, mainly adverts and celebration music for points/goals scored in various sports. I think most people in the UK would know Song 2, Beetlebum and Park Life, but you might be hard pressed to name many more off the top of you head unless you're a fan. I've drifted in and out of like with the Gorillaz. I got their first album, and I've enjoyed a fair few of their singles since, but I generally just stick with my classic rock bands now.
I also know Tender, Country House, and and Girls and Boys. Oh, and Coffee and TV! I really like all of Blur's singles that I've heard but I was never into them enough to listen to their albums. Same with Oasis, with the additional caveat that the Gallagher brothers are a pile of dicks.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

The following statement has nothing to do with the fact that I like Blur. Oasis sucks.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Man I had to read this a few times to realize that you were NOT announcing that you had another child; and was trying to figure out why everyone was being such jerks by talking about music instead of congratulating you.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Ha! And undoubtedly I would be supremely confident in the newborn's musical abilities to post such an announcement on this section of the board!

"Attention Music World: Sikax Has Had Yet Another Child. Look Out!"

[yes]