Bizarro scenario

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Bizarro scenario

Post by Cassius Clay »

Awkward 7-year old manchild hits on your girlfriend at his own birthday party, and it's adorable at first, but it goes on a little too long to the point your girlfriend starts getting uncomfortable because he told his grandmother he'd like to kiss my girlfriend on her cheek as a birthday gift, and it's starting to go from a silly adorable thing to something everyone seems to be encouraging it...to the point where my girlfriend is getting so uncomfortable, yet trying desperately to be polite that she abruptly asks me if I'm ready to leave, and at that point it becomes painfully obvious that she was uncomfortable and didn't want to address it, and you can cut the awkward tension with knife. Meanwhile, because you decided to be a little anti-social for a good 20 to 30 minutes at the party, checking your phone for sports highlights and drinking a beer alone in another room, you missed a lot of the context(how this adorable thing has developed into an awkward thing). And when you decide to meet up with everyone again, not realizing how uncomfortable your girlfriend has gotten, you passively encourage it by joking around with the kid, saying things "you've got good taste", and "you wanna come home with us?...you'll have a bunch of chores to do though" (after he insisted on walking us to our car), and agreeing to tell my girlfriend that he says he loves her(he literally pulled me aside to say "tell her I lover her"). Then noticing that your girlfriend has gotten uncomfortable and things are getting a little weird, and trying to defuse that tension with more joking, but that strategy seeming to backfire because she's become even more withdrawn and obviously uncomfortable to everyone at this point.

...What do you do? [none]
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Re: Bizarro scenario

Post by Islandmur »

Missed oppotunity either you or your girlfriend should have told the boy that she was flattered but unfortunately alreafy in love with someone else.

As mfor the awkwardness now, apologize for not realizing until too late that she was uncomfortable and for making things worse by laughing.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

The right thing is to step away and stop getting in the way of their happiness. She's made her choice dude, move on.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Islandmur wrote:Missed oppotunity either you or your girlfriend should have told the boy that she was flattered but unfortunately alreafy in love with someone else.

As mfor the awkwardness now, apologize for not realizing until too late that she was uncomfortable and for making things worse by laughing.
Mur nailed it.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Throw the kid out the window.
Cinemachinery
Super Poster

Post by Cinemachinery »

Why not simply explain A) the inappropriate nature of the behavior and B) the fact that she's in a relationship? Both can be conveyed in a light-hearted yet firm fashion.

Or you could have just dropped a "Look, if you were a 7 year old girl and it was *me* you were flirting with, this would have a different outcome" bomb on them and watch everyone squirm to explain why it's "different".
Even I find my avatar disturbing.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yeah, I wanted to say something like Mur mentioned, but I think it was too weird at that point.

For a little more context: The kid is very strange. He acts way older than his age because he has a history of abuse/trauma. His dad is a piece-of -hit that used to hit him and his mother(his mother remarried our friend's brother...and our friend has been taking care of him for a few months). And his mother is a drug addict, and the kid has had to call 911 for her a couple times. He also seems very mature, but is very immature/awkward at the same time. Like, after almost everybody had left, he made an "announcement" that the party was not as good as he expected. We all just laughed and said he should speak to the manager. My girlfriend has a similar childhood history(not physical abuse) but having to be "the parent to her parents" because they were emotionally unstable. So, that's part of what made her uncomfortable. She said she would have played along if it was any other kid. And she wasn't mad at me for joking around, and she wasn't mad at the kid either, but she was upset with her friend(who takes care of the kid) and everyone else that couldn't take a hint when she wasn't comfortable and seemed to encourage it.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

This is all purely hypothetical right?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yes. [none]

I have a wild imagination.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

There was also a point where he ran around saying he hated Batman, and I happened to be wearing a black t-shirt with a Batman logo on the chest [none]....hypothetically.