Actors you really like

Gendo
Site Admin

Actors you really like

Post by Gendo »

Specifically ones that aren't huge stars. While that's subjective of course, I guess just try to exclude anyone whom you think would be known by the majority of people you ask.

Christopher Meloni - Love his dramatic side in SVU, and in Harold & Kumar and Scrubs he proves that he's great at comedy as well.

Also this:

Dr_Liszt

Re: Actors you really like

Post by Dr_Liszt »

Is that guy for real?! Oh my god.

I don't know if he is just a gigantic douchebag or just awesome!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Dr_Liszt wrote:
I don't know if he is just a gigantic douchebag or just awesome!
The latter. It's a sketch comedy video from FunnyOrDie.com. Though I dunno if he's parodying himself in terms of having been accused of being a jerk before or what.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

He was probably the best thing about Man of Steel, especially considering the fact that eight actors were billed ahead of him.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
LSK
Frequenter

Post by LSK »

I really like Patrick Wilson. He shows up all over the place, including in starring roles, but he's still not a name you hear often. I recently watched this movie, Stretch—awful, annoying, and nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is—but Wilson starred in it, and man, in spite of the film's obnoxiousness, Wilson was so good in it.

Before Game of Thrones, I would've said Stephen Dillane—if for no other reason than his portrayal of Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries.

I think Marton Csokas is a better actor than his filmography would suggest.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Ugh, it's so hard to think even though I know that I have tons of actors I just really like. The one that first comes to mind is Roger Allam, who I will watch in anything. It started by just really liking his world-weary-but-decent politician in The Thick of It, which is my favourite TV programme, and then he became one of those 'Oh hey, it's him from that thing' actors that you recognise in things. And then I listened to Cabin Pressure and my love was complete. And then I watched Endeavour and saw him grumping around in a hat and my love was double complete. Plus he was the original Javert and you know I love Javert.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Bruce Campbell & Alan Tudyk are the only two that come to mind
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Bruce Campbell & Alan Tudyk are the only two that come to mind
Totally with you on Tudyk; though I have to wonder how much of that is just my love for Firefly moreso than the actor. And Bruce Campbell too; definitely. Not sure how "unknown" he is, but probably enough that the average American doesn' t know him. It's just feels to me like he's better known because I don't hang out with people who don't love Army of Darkness.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Gendo wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Bruce Campbell & Alan Tudyk are the only two that come to mind
Totally with you on Tudyk; though I have to wonder how much of that is just my love for Firefly moreso than the actor. And Bruce Campbell too; definitely. Not sure how "unknown" he is, but probably enough that the average American doesn' t know him. It's just feels to me like he's better known because I don't hang out with people who don't love Army of Darkness.
Bruce Campbell is probably well known but I don't consider him a big star. His starring roles are in B-movies at best (which from what I read is fine with him) or ridiculous TV shows (Briscoe County Jr. He wasn't a star but second banana in Burn Notice and guest on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys).

Alan Tudyk is that guy when you name him, people will probably say "Who?" But show a picture of him and they'll probably recognize him immediately. I particularly like him because he's done a variety of movies (Tucker & Dale vs Evil is one of my favorite hidden gems) and he's damn good at voice acting. I had no idea he was King Candy (Wreck-it Ralph) or the Duke of Weselton (Frozen) until I saw the videos of his recordings.