I'm officially jumping on the Holly Holm bandwagon

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

I'm officially jumping on the Holly Holm bandwagon

Post by Cassius Clay »

I've been watching her previous fights, and lord have mercy...that woman is a warrior. The fight turnout should not have been a surprise to anyone familiar with her before the fight.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: I'm officially jumping on the Holly Holm bandwagon

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Um... isn't wrestling fake?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lolwut?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Exactly.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Oh wait...

Ok whatever, never mind me.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

To be fair, MMA is pretty much unscripted wrestling. People trained in wrestling fair as well, and often better than those trained in martial arts, although most have training in both. Ronda Rousey had the same trainer as Roddy Piper, Gene LeBell. A number of athletes have done both MMA and pro wrestling, not just that piece of shit Brock Lesnar. Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Naoya Ogawa all held the NWA World Heavyweight title. Shamrock and Severn were also world champions in MMA. At 57 years old Severn is the current champion of one of the smaller MMA promotions. Ogawa only had limited success in MMA but still compiled a winning record.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I was also sort of confused as to why everyone seemed to hate Ronda Rousey a lot, as from what I could tell all she did was be really arrogant all the time and shit talk her opponents and talk about how she was the best thing ever and stuff, and I was thinking... isn't that what you're supposed to do? I don't much about wrestling but I thought they all did that. Like that was part of the job. I've seen wrestling matches and they always did that.

I guess MMA is probably different in that regard.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

MMA is starting to bring more of the pro wrestling approach to everything it does except for scripting the match finishes. Rousey trash talking is part of that. Also, I don't understand how anybody could hate Rousey. She did more to make UFC a success than any of the men who have been champions. MMA has for years been considered low-class and has even been banned in many places. Rousey legitimized it as a sport rather than just a bunch of idiots fighting in a cage. Personally I think she made the mistake of buying into her own hype and wasn't prepared for her fight with Holm and now there's a day of reckoning coming. Rousey haters are mostly a bunch of men my age who are sexist fuckwits who wouldn't last ten seconds in a fight with her.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Well, I've seen it mostly on reddit and youtube, so you're probably right.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'd say the entertainment style(trash talking, hyping the fight) is more like boxing that wrestling. Boxing has been doing this shit since forever.

I think Rousey was also trying pump herself up before the fight. I think she thrives on that conflict, and was taken aback by how nice Holm was being.