I'm kinda getting excited about Star Wars now

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

I'm kinda getting excited about Star Wars now

Post by Cassius Clay »

Up until recently, I had largely ignored any news and controversy about it. I didn't really have a lot of faith in it. But, I saw the trailers a couple days ago and it looks fucking epic. Just based on the trailers, I feel like Abrams has recaptured that kind of "cowboys in space" feeling the originals had....the wonder/awe....it's heart. I'd forgotten what I liked about the originals because the prequels were so cold/scientific/uninspired. I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: I'm kinda getting excited about Star Wars now

Post by Cassius Clay »

Oh yeah...and the potential themes of family legacy and what not look more interesting this time.

I mean the idea of Anakin's origin story was interesting, but that's all they had...and it was executed poorly.

One could say... I've developed a new hope. [biggrin]
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I'm currently watching all the Star Wars movies for the first time, in order they were released, to get what everyone's been so excited about. I've seen Episode IV so far.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

The originals suck. The prequels suck more. This new one, I suspect, will be to Star Wars fans what the new Star Trek movies are to Star Trek fans.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I can't say it sucked, but I certainly didn't enjoy it very much. No emotion, no meaning, no good characters, nothing except a logical progression of events I didn't care about.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

If you think episode iv had no meaning, emotion or good characters, the prequels will be absolutely horrible.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

sikax wrote:The originals suck. The prequels suck more. This new one, I suspect, will be to Star Wars fans what the new Star Trek movies are to Star Trek fans.
Nah, the originals had a good mixture of heart, humor, wonder, and adventure. The Han Solo character brought most of that too.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

And I suspect Abrams took the best aspects of the originals, turned it up a few notches and added a lot more emotion.

He should remake Indiana Jones next. He knows what he's doing.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:If you think episode iv had no meaning, emotion or good characters, the prequels will be absolutely horrible.
I don't doubt it. That's why I'm looking forward to them so much.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

What made you decide to watch it in order of release rather than chronologically?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cassius Clay wrote:What made you decide to watch it in order of release rather than chronologically?
Because despite having questionable taste about a lot of movies, he's still capable of making smart decisions about what order to watch films in?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I agree that it's best to watch it in order of release. But I wish I could erase my memory to see what it's like to watch chronologically. Because a lot of the younger generation have watched it that way.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cassius Clay wrote:Because a lot of the younger generation have watched it that way.
Sadly. To me it's simple... the prequels were written during a time that people had already seen the originals, thus they were written with the assumption that those watching it would have seen the originals.

I'm very annoyed by current publishers changing around the Chronicles of Narnia to be chronological order. "The Magician's Nephew" was written with the assumption that someone reading it would have already read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe". Thus it contains stuff that only makes sense, or makes more sense, if you've read the other. It just seems so stupid to change that order for the sake of chronology.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I agree.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Cassius Clay wrote:
sikax wrote:The originals suck. The prequels suck more. This new one, I suspect, will be to Star Wars fans what the new Star Trek movies are to Star Trek fans.
Nah, the originals had a good mixture of heart, humor, wonder, and adventure. The Han Solo character brought most of that too.
If it weren't for Harrison Ford's presence, the original Star Wars movies would be remarkably terrible. Instead they're just ordinarily terrible.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I think the original three were fantastic but the next three were not nearly as good. I am looking forward to this latest one though. I had no idea Lucas wrote books that extended the Star Wars saga until recently and as such have read them all. I had NO idea he developed Willow until I read a suggested book and was like, WTF this is Mad Martagan and Sonja and Willow and Aurura and people being turned into pigs!!! I read the entire saga too.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

IV and VI were entertaining, but not all that well made in terms of film. V was the best in terms of actual good filmmaking, but it still wasn't great.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Emotional reactions from the lead actors as they see this trailer for the first time:

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=DXQBEBAoXjs[/youtube]

I had seen some clips before, but this motherfucking trailer is what really caught my attention. It really captures the spirit and awe of what this saga is supposed to be about (Lucas could learn a little something about awe). This is one of the best trailers I've seen in a long time, and I doubt the movie's gonna live up to it, but I have...hope.

At the 1:12, the way the music seamlessly shifts from the Han and Leia theme to one of the main star wars themes...with the accompanying imagery of main sith character with his posse, lightsaber drawn, in the rain and thunder...nerdgasm. And continues with Ford's voiceover to a scene where some of the characters are scrambling to their ships and give each other the "see you up there" looks....reminds me of the scenes prior to the raid on the death star. It's ironic that the next chapter...next generation...feels like it's going back to the beginning...full circle. Plus John Williams is back (the musical composer for all my childhood movies...Indiana Jones, E.T., Back to the Future, Jurassic Park). I feel like...we're going back....home. [sad2] This trailer singlehandedly reminded me that I'm a Star Wars fan.

I'm not going to the opening just to avoid the fuckboy planning a mass shooting right now. [none]
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

So what's the controversy about it? You said there was controversy in the OP.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I heard there was some issue over the lack of diversity in casting(specifically a lack of women of color).
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Ah.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Gypsy-Vanner wrote:I think the original three were fantastic but the next three were not nearly as good. I am looking forward to this latest one though. I had no idea Lucas wrote books that extended the Star Wars saga until recently and as such have read them all. I had NO idea he developed Willow until I read a suggested book and was like, WTF this is Mad Martagan and Sonja and Willow and Aurura and people being turned into pigs!!! I read the entire saga too.
The only sequels to starwars that I read was by Timothy Zhan it was a trilogy and it was epic! I highly recommend it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Cassius Clay wrote:I heard there was some issue over the lack of diversity in casting(specifically a lack of women of color).
I heard it was casting a black stormtrooper
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:I heard there was some issue over the lack of diversity in casting(specifically a lack of women of color).
Yeah...on the other side too. Racist assholes upset that there's a black stormtrooper/lead.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

sikax wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:
If it weren't for Harrison Ford's presence, the original Star Wars movies would be remarkably terrible. Instead they're just ordinarily terrible.
I have a feeling you don't like sagas.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Yeah...on the other side too. Racist assholes upset that there's a black stormtrooper/lead.
Well, that's in part based on the prequels that said the original stormtrooperd were clones.

Still racist assholes.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Well, that's in part based on the prequels that said the original stormtrooperd were clones.

Still racist assholes.
Yeah, and there's still plenty of potential reasonable explanations for why they aren't all clones anymore. I mean...a lot of time has passed.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:

Still racist assholes.
Yeah, and there's still plenty of potential reasonable explanations for why they aren't all clones anymore. I mean...a lot of time has passed.
Well yeah. That's why they're still racist assholes.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I saw a comment somewhere that said Harrison Ford is the jock that somehow became king of all nerds. And I laughed my ass off at how weirdly accurate that is.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Too true, too funny:

Anyone familiar with red letter media? They have very solid movie critiques...but they're especially known for absolutely demolishing the star wars prequels with acute analysis and humor.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I really love Red Letter Media. They actually know what they're talking about. Unfortunately I haven't seen their SW prequels reviews yet, which is why I want to watch to actually watch the prequels soon.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Lol'd at Yoda's faces at the end.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Those could be the most brilliant, accurate, and funny reviews of the movies ever, and I wouldn't be able to watch more than a minute of them because of that guy's voice. Seriously; back when the Episode 1 review came out that was like as long as the movie itself, I tried to watch it, and just couldn't. Speaking ability matters.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

That series was funny and enlightening. Haven't seen it in years. I think the dark humor went over-the-top a few times.

Years ago on the old religion board, there was a regular poster that I discovered was huge fan of the prequels when he flipped out 'cause I told him to watch RLM reviews. It was such a strange overreaction. I can't remember his name though. He seemed to disappear after that. There was something Asian in his name....and maybe the word "general"(or synonym for general). Something like "orientalgeneral" or some shit.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Cassius Clay wrote:That series was funny and enlightening. Haven't seen it in years. I think the dark humor went over-the-top a few times.

Years ago on the old religion board, there was a regular poster that I discovered was huge fan of the prequels when he flipped out 'cause I told him to watch RLM reviews. It was such a strange overreaction. I can't remember his name though. He seemed to disappear after that. There was something Asian in his name....and maybe the word "general"(or synonym for general). Something like "orientalgeneral" or some shit.
Not goddamn_chairman_mao or whatever he called himself?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

[laugh]

Yes...I think that's it.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I like how "chairman" eventually became "general" in my head. Maybe it was the G from "goddamn".
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I just watched the next two. So... why do people like these movies so much again? I guess you had to be there.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:I just watched the next two. So... why do people like these movies so much again? I guess you had to be there.
By the next two, did you mean of the original trilogy of the prequel trilogy?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I just watched the next two. So... why do people like these movies so much again? I guess you had to be there.
You've clearly been seduced by the power of the dark side.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
By the next two, did you mean of the original trilogy of the prequel trilogy?
The original.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Star Wars fandom has always been bigger than how individually good the movies are themselves. It's like the largest cult film of all time. If you weren't introduced to it as a child, or didn't watch it as an adult decades ago, it's probably too late for you to "get it".
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Can I post this?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/youtube]
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'm actually a hyrid...jock/nerd.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

a ne-ck
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

We prefer jerk.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Did you at least laugh at Han's "I know" response to Leia saying she loved him for the first time...as he's pretty much about to die(And Ford apparently improvised that)? #coldblooded

It's little gems like that one that make Star Wars what it is.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

What, lame cringey dialogue? Uh... if you say so.

[none]

But seriously. That shit between Leia and Han Solo through all of ESB was... beyond lame. It was awful. I cried. "I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain"? What the everloving fuck? Who wrote that shit?

The only thing I really liked was the ending scene between Darth Vader and Luke in ROTJ. Emotions!

Okay, the movies weren't that bad. They were okay. But really, that's all they were, they were okay.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I just assume the dialog between them is supposed to be kinda cheesy because it's petty bickering that's meant to disguise their true feelings.

Plus it's the 70s.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Yeah.

So I just saw The Phantom Menace. LOL. It was sort of what I was expecting. Bad... but not in an entertaining way. It was just bad. I have to admit the pod racing was kind of cool, though. And Darth Maul was sort of badass, even though he died like a little bitch.

But yeah... my biggest problem with the original trilogy is that there was too little genuine emotion or depth, and that seriously was taken up to eleven in TPM. Absolutely zero emotion. I couldn't even describe most of the characters. Hell, I can barely even describe the plot. Nothing made sense. Seriously, what was that? Oh well. Attack of the Clones next!