Re: I'm kinda getting excited about Star Wars now

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

This is how I feel about all the criticism regarding the rehash:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

When a person uses the fake title A New Hope to refer to the original Star Wars that person is immediately disqualified from having a useful opinion about the franchise. There is no such movie as A New Hope, there never was and no Star Wars fan ever uses that title. There should probably be a lengthy prison sentence for anyone who does use that ridiculous title.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

A non-star wars fan cannot be a gatekeeper for Star Wars fans.

That is an abomination. [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

CashRules wrote:When a person uses the fake title A New Hope to refer to the original Star Wars that person is immediately disqualified from having a useful opinion about the franchise. There is no such movie as A New Hope, there never was and no Star Wars fan ever uses that title. There should probably be a lengthy prison sentence for anyone who does use that ridiculous title.
So what you're saying is no one old enough to see the OT in theaters during their original releasw is a non-fan.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:This is how I feel about all the criticism regarding the rehash:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/
This guy has stolen my thoughts and feelings.

I kinda feel like they don't make adventure movies like they used to....where there's a real sense of wonder/discovery mixed with some humor and action. I haven't seen it in a while but 'Romancing the Stone' with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner had that sense to it. The most recent one I can think of is Brendan Frasier and Rachel Weisz in 'The Mummy'(the first one)...I feel like it was trying to pay homage to those old adventure movies.

These days it feels like they overload it with unnecessary action that doesn't serve the narrative...or try too hard to be funny...or are pandering to young children too much. There is a charm that has been lost. I never saw 'Hidalgo' but from clips I've seen it seems to have that old-school adventure feel.
Last edited by Cassius Clay on Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Hidalgo does
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It's another reason I trusted Jar Jar Abrams with Star Wars because I felt 'Super 8' had elements of that old-school sense of adventure/wonder.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Boomer wrote:My theory: I feel if you're an adult who hasn't watched Star Wars yet then it is more than likely you're not into the sci fi genre as a whole, so hearing all these stories of adults not liking the saga on first viewing isn't much of a surprise to me.
What annoys me is when they imply that they are automatically more "objective" than those who are nostalgic about the originals. Or insist on an inappropriate metric for evaluating the movie.

Like...maybe you're just pretentious, and/or insisted on watching the movies through an odd lense(or didn't know the lense due to unfamiliarity with the genre). Where you expecting some deep character drama or pompous art film? And those incorrect expectations should have been shattered after the first 30 mins, so why watch the rest of the trilogy with the same mental framework/expectations?
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I first watched Ep 4 all the way through when I was about 12 and was disappointed, and did find it boring; but I saw it again this past year while marathoning the saga and somehow it had become an awesome cinematic masterpiece.

The story may be simple, but it's the classic story - it's the hero's journey unfolding against the backdrop of a whole galaxy. And I think one reason why it may come across as boring or unoriginal today, likewise with the characters, is that because Star Wars was the movie that started all that to begin with. Most space-themed scifi that came after were derivatives of Star Wars. Heck, Star Wars is one of the core foundations upon which modern scifi even exists. Its characters brought those archetypes into the mainstream consciousness - when I think 'mentor figure' I imagine Ben Kenobi, even though Gandalf et al preceded him.

So it wouldn't be fair to compare it against the standard set by later movies that wouldn't even exist if Star Wars had not happened, and against modern standards that have greatly simplified special effects that were extremely cutting edge for its time - they invented new visual and audio effects techniques that are so commonplace in movies now, but back then it was the first time people were seeing those impossible things on screen, and it blew their minds and changed cinema forever.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Gypsy-Vanner wrote: I had no idea Lucas wrote books that extended the Star Wars saga until recently and as such have read them all..
Well, Lucas didn't really write any novels that extended the Star Wars saga, nor has he really read any of them. There's something like 200+ Star Wars novels out there.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I'm pretty sure Red Letter Media's new, uh, "review" of The Force Awakens just killed whatever affection I had for them. Almost two hours of nothing. And at the end, "kids don't give a shit about diversity". Okay, whatever, shithead.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

They've always been a little on the edgy, anti-sjw side of things. They just don't make being an edgy as possible their mission, like a lot of unfunny cunts do. I still think they're funny motherfuckers, but I haven't seen the review yet.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

To be fair, they do say having diversity is "great" and that the movie did a good job with it and whatnot. It's just that them saying kids don't give a shit about diversity rubbed me the wrong way, especially since I was already annoyed at having spent two hours listening to some guy rant pointlessly about nothing.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:Yeah.

So I just saw The Phantom Menace. LOL. It was sort of what I was expecting. Bad... but not in an entertaining way. It was just bad. I have to admit the pod racing was kind of cool, though. And Darth Maul was sort of badass, even though he died like a little bitch.

But yeah... my biggest problem with the original trilogy is that there was too little genuine emotion or depth, and that seriously was taken up to eleven in TPM. Absolutely zero emotion. I couldn't even describe most of the characters. Hell, I can barely even describe the plot. Nothing made sense. Seriously, what was that? Oh well. Attack of the Clones next!
AotC unfortunately is arguably the worst of the 3. Get ready for the same lack of emotion (especially Mannequin Skywalker), boring senate meetings, and terrible dialogue (I hate sand).

RotS has the same dialogue & emotion problems, though Ewan McGregor is a saving grace (particularly in the climax), not to mention Anakin's seemingly sudden turn. The Clone Wars cartoon improved on this by developing his darker side more. Still, RotS is probably the least worst of the 3.

At least with TPM, you can have fun watching the podrace amidst a terrible movie. RotS gives us Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader. Attack of the Clones is just one big bore.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

agreed