Star Wars thread with spoilers and stuff.

Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Re: Star Wars thread with spoilers and stuff.

Post by Anakin McFly »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/your ... .glwRYgrVw

EmoKyloRen: "if we don't resist the call of the light we're no better than moths"

"my dad just knocked over my model Death Star and broke it
but he did not apologize
he said people should stop making Death Stars
I'm shaking"
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

These cartoons are pretty cool. [smile]
I might like this one even better:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BASG3VEFxGR ... ankesinger

Anyway: I liked the new Star Wars movie. Watched it twice already.
In my Star Wars preference list, which goes 654123 (Episode numbers, from most to least favourite), I'd rank it somewhere between 5 and 2.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Interesting theory:

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The more I think about it, the more I think this theory is correct. Everything else is too obvious and boring.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Cassius Clay wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think this theory is correct. Everything else is too obvious and boring.
Maybe.
I'm not sure about it; but I believe that Rey will be tempted by the Dark Side in Episodes VIII and/or IX.
Whether it will end with redemption or destruction will depend on how many more movies the producers wish to make.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

These words are all the evidence I need that reincarnation is going to be a part of this trilogy:

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=sH-BMBKGyYw[/youtube]

It could be any of the 4 force ghosts we know coming back. But Anakin coming back as Rey is probably the most interesting and meaningful...in terms of it's connection to the larger arc of the whole saga and the clues in TFA. It would also give a deeper meaning to Kylo Ren's fascination with Rey.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Yeah, I've been reading that theory, and if true, I'd like this movie a lot more.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It's probably just Obi-Wan coming back 'cause he always wanted to be a chick.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ha, in addition to Emo Kylo Ren, we now have Very Lonely Luke: http://entertainment.ie/wtf/This-Twitte ... 374982.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

If that wasn't planned, that's awesome.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I can now say that TFA was definitely better watching the second time. And if the Rey/Anakin theory is true, the movie has gone up to a 9/10 for me.
Last edited by Cassius Clay on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

And Kylo Ren is correct. The dark side is where to be at.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

The reincarnation thing seems a bit trite to me, and would really be coming out of nowhere as there's never been any mention of reincarnation in the universe. I'd say it's likely Rey is a meant to bring balance to the force like Anakin, but not a reincarnation
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I wouldn't have a problem with it never being done before. It was prophesized that someone would bring balance to the force, and we all assumed that was Anakin after the first six films, but now it appears there is still imbalance. Maybe Anakin wasn't finished, and he's reincarnated to finish the job. Such a thing wouldn't need to be common, or something that requires precedence to fit into this story.

Anakin is the Jesus figure here, albeit a Jesus figure that slaughtered children, but according to Christianity Jesus only gets reincarnated once, and nobody else in the Bible gets reincarnated. Not that I'm a Christian, but it works in that story, so it could work in this one.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Eh, maybe. I just think it would be cheesy. It seems to be a theme in the Star Wars universe that whenever the Jedi believe that they've wiped out the Sith/Dark Side, they manage to come back. Perhaps this is just part of a never-ending cycle.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I did initially roll my eyes at the idea. But I guess it comes down to preferring cheesy over boring. And the more I thought/read about it the more it made sense.

Star Wars is already filled with cheese...a little more can't hurt. [none]

I wouldn't want to see new characters just doing the same thing previous characters did with minor differences. They have to show us something drastically different that fits into the universe and that ties everything together.

I know they've never talked about reincarnation, but the force is mostly a mystery to us. If force ghosts are possible is reincarnation really that far-fetched in that universe/story?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:A lot of people seem to have larched onto "Droid, please!", claiming it's the equivalent of the slang phrase "N***a, please". Re-watching the movie, both tone & context from Boyega show it was meant to be more like "Droid, please help."
I'm reading about this now. White people are fucking insane.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Monk wrote:Eh, maybe. I just think it would be cheesy. It seems to be a theme in the Star Wars universe that whenever the Jedi believe that they've wiped out the Sith/Dark Side, they manage to come back. Perhaps this is just part of a never-ending cycle.
I also like the idea of Anakin's "true" redemption. The story of Anakin is tragic and depressing. It's supposed to end on a positive note...but did it really? After being a monster for a few decades, he cannot be suddenly absolved just 'cause he saves his son with his last breath. As moving as that may be, it's not enough. I like the idea of him being punished for his crimes and having to really come back and redeem himself. It can be tied into why Luke failed trying to train a new generation(still paying for his father's crimes). The shadow Vader left lingers and has even infected his grandson. He/she has to make all that right.

Edit: Though, I guess the idea of him being punished by coming back as a girl may not sit right. [none]
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:
Monk wrote:Eh, maybe. I just think it would be cheesy. It seems to be a theme in the Star Wars universe that whenever the Jedi believe that they've wiped out the Sith/Dark Side, they manage to come back. Perhaps this is just part of a never-ending cycle.
I also like the idea of Anakin's "true" redemption. The story of Anakin is tragic and depressing. It's supposed to end on a positive note...but did it really? After being a monster for a few decades, he cannot be suddenly absolved just 'cause he saves his son with his last breath. As moving as that may be, it's not enough. I like the idea of him being punished for his crimes and having to really come back and redeem himself. It can be tied into why Luke failed trying to train a new generation(still paying for his father's crimes). The shadow Vader left lingers and has even infected his grandson. He/she has to make all that right.

Edit: Though, I guess the idea of him being punished by coming back as a girl may not sit right. [none]

I suppose that's an interesting way to think about it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Could Finn be Force sensitive as well? He overcame a lifetime of conditioning in an instant and the force awakening in him could have been what helped him overcome it.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I just read a theory that Snoke could be a reincarnated Anakin.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Gendo wrote:I just read a theory that Snoke could be a reincarnated Anakin.
Maybe his personality split? Light side of Anakin reincarnated in Rey, the dark side in Snoke.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Well apparently when you look close, Snoke has pretty much the same head scar(s) as Anakin did at the end of episode VI.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Gendo wrote:Well apparently when you look close, Snoke has pretty much the same head scar(s) as Anakin did at the end of episode VI.
That's a real stretch, especially given how old Snoke looks it would be difficult to think he was a reincarnated version. And it cannot be the same body, as Luke burned Anakin at the end of Jedi.

The most likely theory I've seen is that he's Darth Plagueis, who was Sidious' master. In Revenge of the Sith, Sidious claimed his old master figured out how to cheat death through the force. So it's possible he used this method to keep himself alive after Sidious' assassination attempt. But it's possible this story was all a ruse to lure Anakin to the dark side.

Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:

I just remembered that Maz' lines about seeing the "same eyes" in people was originally directed at Finn. So unless we think that Finn is also a reincarnated person, I think people are reading too much into it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

I kind of like thd theory is that Snoke is the Grand inquisitor from the Star Wars: Rebels series

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Monk wrote:
Cassius Clay wrote:

I just remembered that Maz' lines about seeing the "same eyes" in people was originally directed at Finn. So unless we think that Finn is also a reincarnated person, I think people are reading too much into it.
The way those lines were said in the tv spot were cut from the movie. She says to Finn something like "If you live long enough, you start to see the same eyes in different people...your eyes tell me you want to run." So, the context comes across as though she means that she is just able to read different people's expressions from experience. But, I think the context of the quote in the tv spot seemed to communicate something more like legacy...either through reincarnation or being descended from someone familiar(like Rey possibly being Luke's daughter, etc). I think it's possible they cut it from the movie/changed it because it wasn't very subtle.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I also saw a theory that said Snoke could be Kylo Ren because of the scar across the face. God, I hope not. Please don't add time travel to this.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Also, I think that line in the tv spot would have been directed at Rey after she has the vision from touching Luke's lightsaber. Maz is trying to convince Rey to take the lightsaber. She says something like "I see your eyes, you know no one's coming back."
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I read somewhere that the trailer spot eyes line was also directed at Finn - "I've seen your eyes before... they're the eyes of a warrior" or something like that.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

That's interesting. I couldn't hear it until it was played in reverse on the piano.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I really enjoy when composers do shit like this too....when the score becomes an intricate part of the story/plot(foreshadowing, mirroring plot points, etc)...rather than just used to emotionally manipulate the audience.

Like how the French song in Inception that's used as the kick, when slowed down, sounds like the score of the movie. Which was logically consistent with the idea that time was slower in the dream. Or how you can hear hints of "The Imperial March" towards the end of young Anakin's theme in TPM.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet(maybe I missed it):

The first few seconds of her theme, though whimsical, have the same rhythm and tempo as the first few seconds of The Imperial March. Think or hum the imperial march along to the beginning of Rey's theme and they go together well.

Last edited by Cassius Clay on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I like this too:

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

I've been on the Star Wars TFA IMDB board and it just saddens me people would rather criticize Rey than try to understand what her character brings to the lore.

They constantly bring up Luke didn't do X, to which I have to point out Luke was never in the same situation(s) as Rey beyond both living on desert planets. So who knows what Luke would have done in those situations.

On the bright side, this has made me think about the lore. What if in certain individuals, the Force acts like an adrenaline surge, allowing them to use techniques like the mind trick or telekinesis. Rey was certainly put in many dangerous situations, so it would make sense as to why she might experience this. And it reconciles why she still needs training, because it is far better to have consistent control rather than depending on putting yourself in danger for that surge.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yeah she's in a completely different situation and has a different personality. She's more of a loner and has had to fend for herself more.

I like the comparison to adrenaline.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

There's plenty of idiots, racists, sexists and trolls - usually all rolled up in one - over there, but there's a few good posts too. I first read about the Anakin reincarnation theory there, and I learned I had initially been overly critical of much of this film while on that board, but mostly I just browse it for laughs.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

That's pretty good
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Monk wrote:That's pretty good
First in a long time I laughed at an SNL skit.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

How about this theory:

I think it's either this or reincarnation...or something else very similar to that. There is clearly a strong connection between Vader/Anakin and Rey. Too many parallels.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The only theory involving Rey being Luke's daughter that I actually like. It makes sense and give Kylo Ren even more depth:

BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

That video is basically what I thought while watching the movie, although he included a few more details. When I saw Rey's vision, where she encountered the Knights of Ren and was left on a desert planet as a small girl, I immediately thought Kylo stole her from Luke and left her on Jakku.