Movies I've seen in 2016

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Movies I've seen in 2016

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Kung Fu Panda 3 - Solid final installment of a trilogy. A bit of a rehash of 1 & 2, but the elements are different enough. 7.5/10
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I haven't watched a movie in a theatre in 2016 yet, but I've watched all Monster High TV specials on home video multiple times.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

phe_de wrote:I haven't watched a movie in a theatre in 2016 yet, but I've watched all Monster High TV specials on home video multiple times.
I'm sorry.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:I'm sorry.
I'm not. [winkgrin]
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Snow White (1937) : 7/10
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

The Karate Kid (2010) - A good remake. Not that remakes tend to set the bar high, but this one definitely passed the bar. It changed things up enough that it wasn't just watching the same movie. Having it take place in China actually added a lot to the film. And Jackie Chan gave a surprisingly downplayed and serious performance.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re-watch:

Enchanted: I added this to my collection and saw it for the first time in awhile. I knew it was Disney having a go at Disney, but never realized how much until seeing Snow White again. The apple is iconic of course, but I didn't recognize the blatant similarities to Snow White's control over animals to Giselle's control. And I specifically call out Snow White because of the two cleaning sequences in their respective movies: "Whistle While You Work" and "Happy Little Working Song". The similarities between It can be a fun novie, but there is a lot of obvious 'See, we're self-aware' dialogue that can break the engagement. Plus, Dreamworks does a better job at skewering Disney with Shrek & Shrek 2, and much earlier. Amy Adams as the doe eyed princess who believed "lips are the only thing that touch" is great though.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Gendo wrote:Karate Kit
Gendo's thought process:

Karate Kid...Jaden Smith....black...chocolate...I'm hungry....Kit Kat bar...Karate Kit.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:
Gendo wrote:Karate Kit
Gendo's thought process:

Karate Kid...Jaden Smith....black...chocolate...I'm hungry....Kit Kat bar...Karate Kit.
So what I'm reading is Gendo's racism made him hungry.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Hungry for chocolate.

(I'm not actually saying that thought process is necessarily racist tho)
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:Hungry for chocolate.

(I'm not actually saying that thought process is necessarily racist tho)
Still like my spin on it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Hail, Caesar! - I get the feeling watching this that the popularity of around Fargo, Big Lebowski, & No Country for Old Men ruined those movies. I liked this one well enough, essentially better than the ones listed, but I also recognize this was not one of their better ones. I thought the comedy was decent and the movie does have that Coen brothers fingerprint. Rest assured that ScarJo doesn't play much of a role beyond having a minor prolem in the grand scheme of things Brolin tries to fix. And Josh Brolin, who plays the studio fixer, is pretty good. The movies within the movie may have a tendency to bring you out of it. But again, even those homages/sendups of the movies in that era are good. Overall, 7.5/10 stars.
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Hail, Caesar! - I get the feeling watching this that the popularity of around Fargo, Big Lebowski, & No Country for Old Men ruined those movies. I liked this one well enough, essentially bettrr than the ones listed, but I also didn't like this one was one of their better ones. I thought the comedy was decent and the movie does have that Coen bothers fingerprint. Rest assured that ScarJo doesn't play much of a role beyond having a minor prolem in the grnd scheme of things Brolin tries to fix. And Josh Brolin, who plays the stdio fixer, is pretty good. The movies within the movie may have a tendency to bring you out of it. Overall, 6.8/10 stars.
So very many typos...
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Hail, Caesar! - I get the feeling watching this that the popularity of around Fargo, Big Lebowski, & No Country for Old Men ruined those movies. I liked this one well enough, essentially bettrr than the ones listed, but I also didn't like this one was one of their better ones. I thought the comedy was decent and the movie does have that Coen bothers fingerprint. Rest assured that ScarJo doesn't play much of a role beyond having a minor prolem in the grnd scheme of things Brolin tries to fix. And Josh Brolin, who plays the stdio fixer, is pretty good. The movies within the movie may have a tendency to bring you out of it. Overall, 6.8/10 stars.
So very many typos...
Tablets & phones tend to do that to me.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Born to Win (2014) - A South African movie that I doubt many have heard of. The true story of a pastor's life before he became a pastor. One of those Christian inspiration films. I doubt anyone would like it if they aren't a Christian. From a Christian perspective, it was ok, but nothing special.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:Born to Win (2014) - A South African movie that I doubt many have heard of. The true story of a pastor's life before he became a pastor. One of those Christian inspiration films. I doubt anyone would like it if they aren't a Christian. From a Christian perspective, it was ok, but nothing special.
Do you plan on seeing Miracles from Heaven or whatever the heck that piece of diabetes-inducing saccharine film is called?

I ask because they blew their load in the trailer & gave us the entire movie. Not that I waa going to see it anyway.
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Gendo wrote:Born to Win (2014) - A South African movie that I doubt many have heard of. The true story of a pastor's life before he became a pastor. One of those Christian inspiration films. I doubt anyone would like it if they aren't a Christian. From a Christian perspective, it was ok, but nothing special.
Do you plan on seeing Miracles from Heaven or whatever the heck that piece of diabetes-inducing saccharine film is called?

I ask because they bles their load in the trailer & gave us the entire movie. Not that I waa going to see it anyway.
Hadn't heard of it. I just watched the trailer, and wow yeah, I guess I've seen the movie now. Normally I only end up seeing those types of movies because they get watched as part of a Bible Study meeting or something.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:

I ask because they bles their load in the trailer & gave us the entire movie. Not that I waa going to see it anyway.
Hadn't heard of it. I just watched the trailer, and wow yeah, I guess I've seen the movie now. Normally I only end up seeing those types of movies because they get watched as part of a Bible Study meeting or something.
Just a note, I have no problem w/ religious-themed movies. But that trailer just really made me angry for a)revealing the whole damned movie and b)it's so blatantly manipulative in getting the religious audience.

I have no interest in Risen, but at least it looks cool & I'd probably go with some friends if they asked.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I hadn't heard of Risen either... one of the biggest drawbacks of almost only ever seeing movies after home-release is not hearing about new upcoming stuff. But yeah, that actually looks really interesting. It just seems like a unique POV of that whole story. My guess just based on the trailer is that religious folk on average are probably going to be upset about whatever details it has that aren't in-line with the Bible.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:one of the biggest drawbacks of almost only ever seeing movies after home-release is not hearing about new upcoming stuff..
This site is quite helpful with that:

http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2016

This is one of my lesser known, most anticipated movies:

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Deadpool: Humor is good but feels a little forced at times. A lot of what's in the trailers is at the beginning of the movie. Not as much violence as I expected for a hard R Deadpool movie. Still enjoyable, Ryan Reynolds is perfect as the character. 7.75/10.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Life of Pi - I loved it in some ways, but not completely. The storytelling, directing, and visuals were all fantastic. But for whatever reason, I didn't find the actual story itself that compelling. Possibly because it was told as a flashback, and thus there was never any real danger to the main character? I feel like Cast Away was an overall more entertaining story for that basic plot. But I guess Life of Pi wasn't about the plot as much as the 3 things I listed in the first place.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Deadpool: Humor is good but feels a little forced at times. A lot of what's in the trailers is at the beginning of the movie. Not as much violence as I expected for a hard R Deadpool movie. Still enjoyable, Ryan Reynolds is perfect as the character. 7.75/10.
I went and saw that today with the missus and we both really enjoyed it. I'd give it a good 8.3/10. She loves all those X-Men/Avengers type films and I don't mind them but find they're a bit self-important - I liked the way this didn't take itself too seriously but still had all the "superhero" type action in it.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

The Witch - Good atmosphere completely ruined by an utterly shit score that was more annoying than creepy and still a reliance on jump scares. Not to mention they whispered & their accents made it difficult to understand their already old fashioned dialogue. Movie could have easily been a half hour shorter. 5/10.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Deadpool: Humor is good but feels a little forced at times. A lot of what's in the trailers is at the beginning of the movie. Not as much violence as I expected for a hard R Deadpool movie. Still enjoyable, Ryan Reynolds is perfect as the character. 7.75/10.
Watched this on the weekend with the kiddos.

Liked it a lot - Can see what you are saying about the humour feeling a bit forced at times but - there were so many great one-liners that this didn't bother me one bit.
Pacing was great, effects were on the mark, Ryan was perfect as was the love interest/best friend - even the bad guy was great.
The only thing that I found felt out of place was Colossus, who effectively got to play the straight man but, it just didn't work at all for me.

I'm giving Deadpool a solid 8.5/10
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:
Watched this on the weekend with the kiddos.

Liked it a lot - Can see what you are saying about the humour feeling a bit forced at times but - there were so many great one-liners that this didn't bother me one bit.
Pacing was great, effects were on the mark, Ryan was perfect as was the love interest/best friend - even the bad guy was great.
The only thing that I found felt out of place was Colossus, who effectively got to play the straight man but, it just didn't work at all for me.

I'm giving Deadpool a solid 8.5/10
Maybe if I hadn't seen any of the trailers i could agree, but I felt like the first 15 or 30 minutes was packed with what was used as trailer fodder so that combined with the one liners that didn't really work really slowed the movie for me. And I thought Colossus was great as the straight man.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

^ well - there you go I guess.

The way they wrote colossus felt like Krauss from Hellboy 2 - and that's probably why I really didn't enjoy him at all ..

The trailer sampled pretty evenly from the entire movie the way I saw it. As with all of these things, you worry that the only funny lines in the movie were the ones lifted into the trailer . and I guess, the biggest surprise for me was just how relentless the comedy was and how it (except for a handful of times) all felt natural and essential to the character.
There were a couple of bits - probably specifically the ones that they used in the trailer, that seemed jammed in there - but, and probably speaking to your coment, were probably because I had already seen the trailer and knew the line.

But, these were a long way away from being the best lines and, for me at least, it really didn't do anything to stop me from enjoying this.

I'd go as far as to say that I enjoyed Deadpool more than I enjoyed Guardians ..
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:^ well - there you go I guess.

The way they wrote colossus felt like Krauss from Hellboy 2 - and that's probably why I really didn't enjoy him at all ..

The trailer sampled pretty evenly from the entire movie the way I saw it. As with all of these things, you worry that the only funny lines in the movie were the ones lifted into the trailer . and I guess, the biggest surprise for me was just how relentless the comedy was and how it (except for a handful of times) all felt natural and essential to the character.
There were a couple of bits - probably specifically the ones that they used in the trailer, that seemed jammed in there - but, and probably speaking to your coment, were probably because I had already seen the trailer and knew the line.

But, these were a long way away from being the best lines and, for me at least, it really didn't do anything to stop me from enjoying this.

I'd go as far as to say that I enjoyed Deadpool more than I enjoyed Guardians ..
Actually, not quite. I thought most of the funny lines weren't from the trailer. But the problem I'm having is that with all the jokes, there were so many that were either seen in the trailer or we were never given a chance to absorb the others.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Scary Movie - I actually like this movie. I know it's stupid and all, but back when it was made it's genre hadn't been overdone to death yet.

Scary Movie 2 - Absolutely terrible.

Scary Movie 3 - A little less terrible. Leslie Nielsen helps make bad movies less bad. And the Airplane reference was actually really funny.

Scary Movie 4 - Meh. About the same as 3 I guess.

Scary Movie 5 - Surprisingly ok. The humor seemed a little more subdued, which is a positive. Don't get me wrong, it's still a really stupid movie.

Identity - I've seen this one a few times. Very clever idea.

The Forbidden Kingdom - Pretty typical kung-fu movie. The main character seemed unnecessary. Just make it a movie about the stuff happening in ancient China instead of a guy from modern-day Boston who gets transported to Ancient china to deal with the stuff.

The March of the Penguins - Informative and interesting.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

The Prophecy: Uprising - The 4th in the series; direct-to-video. About as bad as you'd expect. Not exceptionally bad or anything.

The Prophecy: Forsaken - The 5th and thankfully last. This one was just boring.

Jurassic Park (3D) - Had to watch something good after so many bad movies. The 3D was done well. The movie holds up. The music is still so great. Sadly next on the list is parts 2 and 3. Then World in 3D.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Just saw Deadpool. It was great. I also got carded at the entrance even though I'm 27 this year, so apparently I still look under 18. [none] It was also way milder than I was expecting / fearing, given the strict R18 rating here, though I'm still glad I watched it with friends instead of my parents.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Not as bad as I remember, or as bad as its reputation. The T-Rex effects seemed way worse than the first one; which is a shame because the movie depended more heavily upon those effects. And if you just hit stop 20 minutes before the end you wouldn't lose anything and would have a better movie. The whole T-Rex in San Diego thing just didn't need to be there.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Jurassic Park 3 - Also not as bad as I was expecting. Not saying it was a well-made film or anything, but it wasn't actually terrible. The biggest problem was just the lack of anything new or interesting. Basically the same plot as part 2.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Has anyone rewatched Dr No recently? I saw it again with my girlfriend a few weeks ago, having only seen it once prior when I was about 8. We had a laugh at how basically every oriental character was a white person with slightly yellowed skin. Also watched The Living Daylights and Casino Royale. My gf had never seen a Bond movie so figured I'd start with the very first Bond, then Dalton (my favourite Bond) and skip ahead to the Craig ones.

Also watched Spinal Tap again. 11/11.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Blade Azaezel wrote:Also watched Spinal Tap again. 11/11.
Well played.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Blade Azaezel wrote:Has anyone rewatched Dr No recently? I saw it again with my girlfriend a few weeks ago, having only seen it once prior when I was about 8. We had a laugh at how basically every oriental character was a white person with slightly yellowed skin. Also watched The Living Daylights and Casino Royale. My gf had never seen a Bond movie so figured I'd start with the very first Bond, then Dalton (my favourite Bond) and skip ahead to the Craig ones.

Also watched Spinal Tap again. 11/11.
I own all Bond movies except Spectre, but haven't gotten around to them yet. I've only seen Brosnan and the first 2 Craig. I'll have a big marathon at some point.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Jurassic World (3D) - Pretty good. Fun action and adventure. Still seemed to lack the amazement of the first one, but how could a sequel not? Also, maybe it's just me, but the dinosaur effects seemed worse than the original. They just never looked real to me.

Also, was I the only one who kept waiting for Lowery to mention that his dad or uncle or something was Ian Malcolm? He looked a bit like him and had a lot of the same general character qualities I thought. I was disappointed when no such mention was made.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

10 Cloverfield Lane - not a true sequel, but spiritual successor to Cloverfield (which I have not seen). This was is a claustrophobic thriller in which you wonder if it really is the end of the world or if the guy telling you this is just nuts. Too many unnecessary jump scares and a rather shoved in ending to tangentially connect the original. John Goodman is great as the "is he crazy/is he not" temperamental doomsday prepper and one easily gets invested in Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. 7.5/10.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

JOHN GOODMAN

MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD

i'm seeing this
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:JOHN GOODMAN

MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD

i'm seeing this
In terms of atmosphere, this is what I was expecting from "The Witch". M.E.W's character becomes a bit of a MacGuyver at a point in the movie, but it's justified and she does fell like a real person throughout.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Wait, Az has a girlfriend? When did this happen? How did this happen? [none]
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I Know What You Did Last Summer - Kind of like a not-as-good Scream.

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - I actually liked this one a little more. It had a great Jack Black cameo; and it really seemed to do a good job of showing the emotional/mental results of what happened to what's-her-face.

So how much must this guy hate July 4th? 4 years in a row he has a really, really bad day on July 4th:

Year 1: His daughter is killed.
Year 2: He gets hit by a car and almost killed.
Year 3: He gets his hand shopped off and almost dies.
Year 4: He accidentally kills his son; he gets shot a bunch of times and presumably is killed. Except I read that somehow he's also the killer in the third one, which makes no sense.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

BruceSmith78 wrote:Wait, Az has a girlfriend? When did this happen? How did this happen? [none]
Rohypnol [none] she first messaged me on eharmony last May, though it took until October for us to meet on a first date cos we were moving veeeery slowly. She was living in Wales at the time but has now moved back to her home town, which is only 15 minutes away. She's pretty great and I'm still trying to figure out exactly why she's dating me!
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Where the Wild Things Are - Fantastic. Spike Jonze does it again. Amazing visual storytelling; with the right amount of pure Spike Jonze weirdness.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Where the Wild Things Are is a masterpiece.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ha, not too surprised you like that one. Yeah, reception to it is extremely mixed. Less than 7/10 on IMDB, but 75% on RT. Some day I'll watch it again and try to figure out more of the symbolism. So many layers.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Its reception isn't mixed in my heart.

Yeah, there's really a lot going on in it. I need to watch it again too, since I only watched it a couple times shortly after it came out.

Most of the more interesting movies have had mixed receptions. At least when a movie gets that you can look forward to it doing something at least vaguely interesting to merit such a polarized response.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I was hoping "Where the Wild Things Are" would be about Las Vegas strippers, instead it looks uber-gay.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Yeah, I remember when Where the Wild Things Are trailers and ads were everywhere, and all I could think was, "this looks so fucking lame, who the fuck would watch this shit?" It's the type of dogshit that wouldn't have even interested me if I was a kid.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

[smile]

[none]

[sad]