The Forest

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The Forest

Post by Derived Absurdity »

holy crap that sucked. Why did we go there? What a dumb movie. Not scary. Not interesting. No one screamed or jumped at the jump scares. That's almost as embarrassing as going to a comedy show and no one laughing at the jokes. At my theater the people always scream at the jump scares, even when they're not really scared. It was completely silent. That's how bad this movie was. Don't see it.

Oh yeah it's also racist as fuck, but whatever, no one seems to care about that.

0/10
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Re: The Forest

Post by sikax »

Sounds like Brooklyn [none].
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

But Brooklyn was critically acclaimed. This was a movie the critics were right about.

It was either see this or The Revenant or The Hateful Eight. None of them were that appealing. Why do movies suck so much? Is it not allowed to have a good movie in the theater every once in a while anymore?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It should be at least 1/10 'cause of how hot Dormer is.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Derived Absurdity wrote:It was either see this or The Revenant or The Hateful Eight. None of them were that appealing. Why do movies suck so much? Is it not allowed to have a good movie in the theater every once in a while anymore?
[roll]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

lol
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Cassius Clay wrote:It should be at least 1/10 'cause of how hot Dormer is.
Only if you're attracted to cats.

Ya know, 'cuz her face looks like a cat? Yeah.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Actually, some say she looks like a pretty miss piggy. Rude, but she does have that upturned nose thing going on. I think it's cute.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

She definitely looks like the girl rabbit from space jam.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lola Bunny. Sexiest cartoon rabbit of all time.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Does jessica rabbit count? [none]
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Hmmm....deliberating.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The 5th Wave - not quite as bad, but close. I had no idea what this movie was about at first. It wasn't too bad at the beginning, when a bunch of aliens were murdering people with waves or something, but then it just turned to some teen romance drama thing after twenty minutes. The overall conflict is a completely blatant ripoff of Animorphs. Nothing made sense. It was boring. Maika Monroe was in it, and as expected she was the only good thing about it.

2/10 'cuz Maika Monroe, who kicks Natalie Dormer's ass.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:holy crap that sucked. Why did we go there? What a dumb movie. Not scary. Not interesting. No one screamed or jumped at the jump scares. That's almost as embarrassing as going to a comedy show and no one laughing at the jokes. At my theater the people always scream at the jump scares, even when they're not really scared. It was completely silent. That's how bad this movie was. Don't see it.

Oh yeah it's also racist as fuck, but whatever, no one seems to care about that.

0/10
Derived Absurdity wrote:The 5th Wave - not quite as bad, but close. I had no idea what this movie was about at first. It wasn't too bad at the beginning, when a bunch of aliens were murdering people with waves or something, but then it just turned to some teen romance drama thing after twenty minutes. The overall conflict is a completely blatant ripoff of Animorphs. Nothing made sense. It was boring. Maika Monroe was in it, and as expected she was the only good thing about it.

2/10 'cuz Maika Monroe, who kicks Natalie Dormer's ass.

This is why I don't watch horror movies. Especially those released in January. Hell, it's why I don't watch most movies released in January.

Kung Fu Panda 3 has been the only exception. And that's because it didn't want it compete with BvS & Star Wars.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I only recently learned that movies released in January have a reputation for being terrible. I don't know why.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I only recently learned that movies released in January have a reputation for being terrible. I don't know why.
It's because if you have a movie worthy of Oscar consideration you want it to be fresh in voters' minds, so you release it at the end of the year.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I guess that makes sense.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Deadpool - I don't know anything about the comic book character, so that might bias me a little. I don't know, it was funny, I guess. I mean, it was what you would expect. One thing I didn't expect was how trite and generic it turned out to be - beneath all the crudeness and the meta-humor and the self-awareness is a completely boring and generic love story, complete with a completely boring and generic climax with mostly boring and generic characters. I mean, Deadpool likes to poke fun at itself, but it never mentioned or acknowledged how banal and trite the overall narrative is. It seemed to me the cleverness and the self-awareness was attempting to mask a story that's hackneyed and conventional... which is disappointing.

It wasn't even that violent, really. Most of the violence happens at the beginning. By the end it's just standard superhero stuff.

The humor and the message wasn't as sexist as I was expecting, though, so that's a plus.

I don't know, it could have been better.

4/10
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

What was the last movie you actually enjoyed?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The Last Airbender
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:The Last Airbender
I meant in theaters as a legitimately good movie (and you can't be serious unless you nean TLA was so bad it was funny, & even then it wasn't)
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I enjoyed Star Wars, because it didn't suck. Well, some people thought it did, but it was a good experience.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

And I watch a lot of movies at home, and I enjoy many of them. I only really bother to mention movies here I've seen in the theaters, because if they turn out to suck I get extra annoyed, because going to the theaters is fucking expensive.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:And I watch a lot of movies at home, and I enjoy many of them. I only really bother to mention movies here I've seen in the theaters, because if they turn out to suck I get extra annoyed, because going to the theaters is fucking expensive.

See, this is why you get regarded as a hipster. We only ever see the ratings of movies you hate, and they tend to be movies everyone loved (except for the rare Mad Max or Star Wars).
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

And also Nightcrawler. And Two Days, One Night. And Whiplash. And Synecdoche, New York. And The Guest. And Ex Machina. And How To Train Your Dragon. And The Good Dinosaur. And Inglorious Basterds. And about a dozen other movies on this board alone. But okay, I see your point.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:And also Nightcrawler. And Two Days, One Night. And Whiplash. And Synecdoche, New York. And The Guest. And Ex Machina. And How To Train Your Dragon. And The Good Dinosaur. And Inglorious Basterds. And about a dozen other movies on this board alone. But okay, I see your point.
You lost all credibility with The Good Dinosaur.

[tongue]
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

It was highly misunderstood.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:It was highly misunderstood.

And Inside Out was highly misunderstood by you [none].
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Um, what did I misunderstand about it?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:Um, what did I misunderstand about it?
I was only kidding, but...

It works perfectly fine as a metaphor, just so long as you don't think the metaphor is saying emotions are like little people inside your head controlling everything you do.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Oh. Well, maybe. I don't really remember much of it now.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

This scene came to mind for some reason. [none]

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I couldn't pay much attention to that clip, cuz I was distracted.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - a solid indie quirky coming-of-age teen drama thing. It was fun. Not enough emotion. I didn't cry. It was okay, but I'm probably not going to remember it in a week.

5/10
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - a solid indie quirky coming-of-age teen drama thing. It was fun. Not enough emotion. I didn't cry. It was okay, but I'm probably not going to remember it in a week.

5/10
You have no soul.

I didn't cry either, though, I don't think, but I've cried at dumber movies, so that doesn't mean shit. I cried at The Fault in Our Stars, and that movie was lame as fuck.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I cried at Fox and the Hound. Lol
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The Vicious Kind - I'm... not sure what this was supposed to be about. It's a family drama where some self-loathing red-pilled douche played by Adam Scott fucks his brother's girlfriend. Adam Scott is good in it. I don't really know what the message was. One of the themes seemed to be how we form assumptions of each other and how we form images of people based on incomplete knowledge and distorted perceptions and how disastrous it can be when those images bump up against reality. But it could have been executed better. The performances and behaviors were a bit too theatrical and ham-fisted for most of it to ring true. Also, Brittany Snow.

4/10
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Housebound - A horror comedy that's actually funny. A lot better than You're Next. I probably liked it so much because I didn't know what it was and it turned out to be funny, as well as sort of creepy. It struck a pretty good balance between the two.

6.5/10
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

10 Cloverfield Lane - It was good. It had absolutely nothing to do with Cloverfield at all, so the marketing was clearly dishonest. It's an effective indie-in-everything-but-name thriller with good acting and an extremely tight script. Most of the movie takes place in a bunker, but the cinematography and pacing provides it with enough mood that it keeps changing and you're never bored with being in the same place all the time. You're basically put on a see-saw for the first hour - first you think John Goodman is evil, then you think he's good, then he's evil, then he's good, and so on and so on, rinse and repeat for about the whole movie. The finale has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie either structurally or thematically and I'm pretty sure it was stuck in there only after they realized they wanted this movie to be at least vaguely connected to Cloverfield in some way. It didn't really work. But the rest was good.

6/10
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:10 Cloverfield Lane - It was good. It had absolutely nothing to do with Cloverfield at all, so the marketing was clearly dishonest. It's an effective indie-in-everything-but-name thriller with good acting and an extremely tight script. Most of the movie takes place in a bunker, but the cinematography and pacing provides it with enough mood that it keeps changing and you're never bored with being in the same place all the time. You're basically put on a see-saw for the first hour - first you think John Goodman is evil, then you think he's good, then he's evil, then he's good, and so on and so on, rinse and repeat for about the whole movie. The finale has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie either structurally or thematically and I'm pretty sure it was stuck in there only after they realized they wanted this movie to be at least vaguely connected to Cloverfield in some way. It didn't really work. But the rest was good.

6/10
I definitely agree the connecting thread to the previous movie wasn't necessary.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Wolf Creek - um... that was it? Really? That was what all the horror and revulsion was about? Huh. It seemed like just another fairly standard horror movie to me. Not particularly scary or gruesome. I was expecting something disgusting, instead what I got was pretty bland. It wasn't even all that exploitative. What's the big deal?

4/10
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

London Has Fallen - just... just... lol

0/10
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:London Has Fallen - just... just... lol

0/10
Man, I thought you just had sh!t taste in movies, but it looks like you're also drawn to shitty ones like a moth to a flame.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Yeah, still don't get why I have shit taste in movies. But ok.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Derived Absurdity wrote:Yeah, still don't get why I have shit taste in movies. But ok.
Mainly becaude that's become the running joke here.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Oh.

oh well
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Adventureland - yeah, I like this movie. Sue me.

8/10
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Here Comes the Devil - this was fucking great. 8/10
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The Jungle Book - yeah this was pretty much a ten out of ten. It was one of the best experiences at the theater I've had in a long time. Almost everything about this movie was really really really good. The visuals were spectacular, the action and suspense was intense, the pacing and tone were perfect, the voice actors were fantastic, and the soundtrack was amazing. Everything just worked, really well. I saw it yesterday and I'm still thinking about it. Man I love watching movies that are good. This is why you go to the theater, people.

The one weak point was the kid who played Mowgli. He sucked. That was too bad. You get used to it, but I'm wondering why they couldn't have picked a kid less terrible.

So maybe in reality it's an eight or nine out of ten but I'm still in an afterglow so in reality it's a ten out of ten.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Green Room - pretty good. It was tense, the script was tight, the pacing was quick, I really liked the aesthetic. The violence was realistic and understated. It's being praised for its intelligent and realistic script but I'm pretty sure there would be bad things I would notice if I saw it again. Needed more characterization. A lot of it felt somewhat bland. I was sort of underwhelmed after all the hype but it's still a good movie.

6/10