Star Wars D20 rpg

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Star Wars D20 rpg

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Playing a darkside character is fun. #captainobvious
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Star Wars D20 rpg

You kind of have to be there to fully understand the fun of it but...

The set up: We're a secret group of Dark side force users (two of us are simply reflavoring the Jedi base classes)/force sensitive mercenaries (1 fringer. No idea what that is) that are a contingency plan should Vader no longer be able to fulfill his duties or the emperor should fall. Also, we've been kept secret from Vader. Right now, we're in the same time frame as Episode IV, so we're essentially apprentices in training who are highly ranked and are sent on various missions to impose the will of the Empire.

So here's what happened in our first game:

First mission was to set an example for the Bothans that treasonous acts such as allowing spies to steal Imperial secrets would not be tolerated. We went down to the Bothan planet with a contingent of storm troopers. We were greeted by the Bothan governor, lietenant governor, and the equivalent of the secretary of state. The masses were also present, as well as the media in the form of a droid. The other "jedi" force choked the governor to unconsciousness. I decided at that point that a true example had to be made. I activated my lightsaber & killed governor. I then pulled out my blaster & killed the secretary as he ran. The stormtroopers followed my lead & opened fire on the crowd, killing the lt. governor in the process. With that, we returned to the star destroyer we are based and its captain showed us an edited broadcast: The president admitting to orchestrating the Bothan raid to steal the Death Star plans and then shooting into the crowd with blasters, his death a result of me killing him in defense of the populace.

In between the first and second missiin, we were given an HK unit (assassin droid that kind of looks like a protocol droid model) to battle test. Two of us felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

Second Mission: Sent to an Alderaanian colony to kill Bail Organa, who was on the planet of the colony. We went under the guise that his daughter had been gravely injured. Upon arrival (with 10 stormtroopers guarding our ship), a little girl came running up. I told the troopers to hold their fire. Feining niceness, she got close enough that I sensed her connection to the force. Building trust, she told me Bail Organa was at the town hall. So my party took her, her mother (to build more trust), & the HK unit to meet Organa. Once there, he asked "I'm Senator Bail Organa. What's happened to my daughter?" I asked to conform and when he did I said "HK, your target is Senator Bail Organa". With surprise on our side, the senator didn't stand a chance. He was gunned down. I immediately told my "jedi" partner "Grab the girl", she's force sensitive. I ran the mother through with my lightsaber and we rsn back to the ship, with a new present for the emperor (though we had to knock her out due to her escapjngy compatriot's grasp).

In between second and 3rd mission: The girl was actually able to mind trick our fringer compatriot. A slap from the captain resolved that.

3rd mission: Return and lead 600 stormtroopers to slaughter the Alderaanian colony. I came up with the plan to split up the troopers four ways to come into the colony at 4 differsnt fronts while simultaneously dropping HK in the middle, giving it the target of all Alderaanian colonists. We encountered a man who looked much like the emperor. He was picked up by our small freighter ship, only to be knocked out the back by my "jedi" compatriot because we both felt something was off. The massacre was very successful, though the stormtroopers have to run 24 hour drills now because HK was much more efficient (660 kills out of a population of 1600 from a single droid).

I was worried I might cross into Chaotic Stupid with this character, but I think I did scarily well as an evil bastard. I'm not even playing a guardian (the jedi equivalent of a tank), which the other "jedi" is, and I have a higher direct kill count than she does (and all of mine are significant to the story and what could happen later). But I think the thing I'm most proud of is that my character is responsible for causing the most deaths period. 3 direct kills, & 661 through orders made by him.

All in all, it was great fun being evil. This was just a prelude game, meaning we'll be starting off at higher levels once the official campaign starts (which will be right after Return of the Jedi). However, events in this game are likely to carry over into thad one.
Pope Bucky
Super Poster

Post by Pope Bucky »

Atheists make better bad guys because they have no moral base. [none]
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Pope Bucky wrote:Atheists make better bad guys because they have no moral base. [none]
[laugh]

Oh, and correction. My character is responsible for 1601 indirect kills (661 he ordered to HK and the rest by stormtroopers he ordered).
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

You should keep that body count tally going the whole campaign.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Boomer wrote:You should keep that body count tally going the whole campaign.
I plan to.

"Let's see, your guardian killed two people on this last fight. Just another 1600 before you catch up"
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

It actually sounds pretty fun; I wish I had friends who were into d20 games. I've only ever played demos at my local comic shop myself.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
vnufeld
Frequenter

Post by vnufeld »

1st Edition, Revised, or Saga?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

vnufeld wrote:1st Edition, Revised, or Saga?
Revised
Boomer wrote:It actually sounds pretty fun; I wish I had friends who were into d20 games. I've only ever played demos at my local comic shop myself.
It is. Though we completely fucked up on our second prelude game. Let's just say certain events caused things to go to sh!t and one of the characters was killed by rhe little girl we kidnapped.

To be fair though, the one that was killed was in a weakened state and we are playing darksiders, who value strength Not to mention the GM's rolls for the girl were all really high so she did seem stronger in the force. The person who had their character killed will be taking over the character of the little girl.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Gotta be honest, whenever I have the option of being a bad guy or a good guy in an RPG, I always choose the good guy. Even when I do a second playthrough, I often still do the good guy option. I haven't played as Renegade in any of the ME games - I always feel too guilty.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I always feel too guilty to play bad guys as well. I did the bad route in Planescape Torment once and I felt like Mrs Hitler.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:I always feel too guilty to play bad guys as well. I did the bad route in Planescape Torment once and I felt like Mrs Hitler.
You have to imagine yourself as a good guy from the bad guy's point of view. My character is all about keeping the empire stable, because destabilization of something so massive would have pretty big consequences. If he has to kill a few bothans to get the rest in line, so be it.