Touching movie scenes

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Touching movie scenes

Post by Cassius Clay »

I go over this thread every now and then, and I started noticing that a good majority of the scenes I posted have some kind of father/son theme. And I did not do this intentionally.

I've got some shit to work out. [none]
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Ridiculous movie and clip is an MRA wetdream...but moving

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=jsJu4-McmF0[/youtube]

That judge has quite a majestic shouting voice.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

THAT MOVIE IS FUCKING AMAZING, YOU TAKE THAT BACK
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I take it back. I do secretly like the movie. Jim Carrey can be obnoxious but I'm impressed by his ability to quickly flip from over-the-top, physical comedy to more subtle, poignant moments. Because of that there are a few moments in the movie that are simultaneously sad and funny.

Like the scene where he's arguing with his ex-wife and surprises himself when he blurts out "I'M A BAD FATHER!". The look on his face is hilarious, yet kinda sad.

Same thing when he's trying to teach his son about white lies, so that he reverses the wish. The look on Carrey's face when his son meekly says, "but you're the only one that makes me feel bad". It's funny but heartbreaking.

I couldn't find those clips.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'm feeling hella patriotic right now. America, fuck yeah!

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

On the surface it seems like a happy ending, but it's actually quite sad...and the flute is very haunting.

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cassius Clay wrote:On the surface it seems like a happy ending, but it's actually quite sad...and the flute is very haunting.

I was always a bit annoyed at the fact that this woman went on to be married for a long time, with kids and everything, yet her fantasy / dream / afterlife sequence is her reuniting with some guy she once knew for a few days, rather than her husband.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

"A woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets."

- Adolf Hitler
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

It wasn't some guy she knew once for a few days. It was presumably her first love, and in those few days she had some major life-changing epiphanies, and that "some guy" saved her life. If it wasn't for him she would have lived, perhaps, but she'd have ended up miserable with a fuckstick for a husband.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

As Rose got older she probably began to idealize Jack in her mind, as people often do with first loves and the like.

IOW I found that part fairly believable.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Finally getting off the island, but then hit with an unexpected sadness. Because even though it was hell, it was the only anchor he'd had all those years...now he must find his way in the unknown. I distinctly remember being similarly surprised by a bittersweet feeling when I graduated middle school...I had hated middle school.

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

That score though. Alan Silvestri is brilliant. The fact that there has been no background music at all during his entire time on the island, and then it just hits like that.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

You know, I don't think it's ever consciously registered that the score is only introduced after most of the movie is over. Crazy. The music is beautiful though. There's a long track that I used to play in the background, while doing busy work around the house or at my computer, where a lot of it is just the sound of the ocean...and the score comes in and out. Really relaxing.