Filipino Chicken adobo

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Filipino Chicken adobo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

It took three tries but I finally got it right. Yum.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: Filipino Chicken adobo

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I tried to make my own cookie dough a couple weeks ago. What I ended up with was some bullshit. I guess baking soda and baking powder aren't really the same thing?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Filipino Chicken adobo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

BruceSmith78 wrote:I tried to make my own cookie dough a couple weeks ago. What I ended up with was some bullshit. I guess baking soda and baking powder aren't really the same thing?

No they are not.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/m/the_diff ... ng_powder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've pretty much hit on why the phrase is "Cooking is an art. Baking is a science"

In cooking, if you don't have the exact ingredients or fuck up a dish you can usually improvise and the dish can at least be salvaged if not taste just as good.

Baking is essentially the chemistry of the food world. It often relies heavily on chemical reactions and if you don't follow the formula (read: recipe), you're going to end up with disaster.

There are exceptions (after all there are chemical reactions in cooking and baking can be just as artful). However, baking leaves very little room for improvisation unless you're very experienced (which I am not).