Anyone seen Fargo, first season?

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Anyone seen Fargo, first season?

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I was enjoying it a lot up until the finale.

Has anyone here watched a show you think is really good but has a finale which is so disappointing that it sort of retroactively poisons the rest of the show? Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of Fargo right about now.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Anyone seen Fargo, first season?

Post by Cassius Clay »

I have not, but heard it was really fucking good. I still plan on watching some day.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I recommend all the episodes except the finale.

I mean, the finale wasn't that bad, sort of, but it was still really disappointing.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Fargo, second season -

So... um. That actually might have been the single best season of any show I've ever seen. Holy crap. That was practically flawless. It pretty much blew Breaking Bad out of the water. New favorite show right here, probably.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Just watched first season. Really good. Finale wasn't that bad. Wrapped it up nicely. A lot of interesting themes and morals. I liked the glove parable/riddle.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I thought it was fairly unconscionable that we never got a scene between Molly and Malvo after the season was building up to it. I don't like how Molly was sidelined and was left to do nothing, being so passive at the end when she spent the entire season being so active. I don't like how she barely got any recognition for what she did for the case. I don't like how Gus just sort of stumbled onto Lester and straight up murdered him by shooting him in the back, considering the type of person he was supposed to be. I don't like how Gus basically saved the day right after convincing Molly to sit it out because she's pregnant. That was slightly unsettling.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yeah, there were a lot of things I expected to happen that didn't, but I was still somehow satisfied by the ending. Maybe 'cause it caught me off guard. Like, how the fuck does Gus get away with executing Malvo? I read a short little article that claims Malvo was literally satan(turning Gus and Lester to the dark side, references to the garden of evil, etc).

Season 2 was good, but prefer 1. The characters were a little more fascinating in season 1.
Last edited by Cassius Clay on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Season 2 was good, but prefer 1. The characters were a little more fascinating in season 1.
False.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The first season also uses more humor. Which characters in season 2 did you find more interesting?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I'm not sure why I abandoned this thread... but I thought Mike Milligan was far more interesting than Malvo as a villain, and it's only a shame that he didn't get more screen time, he was crowded out by all the other characters. He was incredibly multifaceted, while Malvo was simplistic in that he was just a representation of the Devil. I thought Peggy Blumquist was basically a female Lester Nygaard, but with several more dimensions and layers. Lester was just a cowardly sociopath. Peggy was enigmatic and well-rounded. I thought Lou Solverson was about on the same level as Molly. Most of the Gerhardts were interesting in their own way, even Dodd. I was just really impressed that there seemed to be a lot more characters in this season than the last one, and not only were the major ones more interesting and compelling than the major ones of the last season, it didn't seem particularly over-crowded. They were all mostly handled really well.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I'm not sure why I abandoned this thread... but I thought Mike Milligan was far more interesting than Malvo as a villain, and it's only a shame that he didn't get more screen time, he was crowded out by all the other characters.
Just finished the second season and agree that Milligan had greater potential but was ultimately underused. Actually, I'm not sure how much of his greatness was from the writing and how much was from the line delivery of the actor, who was just fantastic.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

This season so far is kind of shit.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Just finished the seasons. Definitely shit compared to the first two seasons. I understood what it was trying to do, it's been trying that since the beginning, but it ultimately felt like a pale imitation of itself. It wasn't really awful, not objectively, but compared to the brilliance of the first two seasons... yeah, it kind of was. I might like it better if I ever re-watch it.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I don't even like the original movie that much and couldn't get into the first season.

However I heard season 3 has my girl Carrie Coon in it though...
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

She was definitely the high point, even though she was playing a rather shallow character.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Just finished the seasons. Definitely shit compared to the first two seasons. I understood what it was trying to do, it's been trying that since the beginning, but it ultimately felt like a pale imitation of itself. It wasn't really awful, not objectively, but compared to the brilliance of the first two seasons... yeah, it kind of was. I might like it better if I ever re-watch it.
I had a feeling they wouldn't be able to top the compulsively paced, morbidly hilarious second season... Still might end up liking the third season if I go with 'managed' expectations, lol
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"