Can wonder woman be transgender and still fit the lore?

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Can wonder woman be transgender and still fit the lore?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

This came about in a sarcastic post on IMDB. And I'm curious on this.

No men are allowed on Themyscira, so I don't see how a transgender woman would even get the opportunity. Being Wonder Woman is essentially Diana's birthright and being born a man biologically wouldn't help. Plus she was sculpted by Hippolyta, so she wouldn't sculpt a male intending for him to be her child.

On the other hand, a transgender man wouldn't identify as a woman, so he wouldn't call himself "Wonder Woman".

I really want to know if I'm off base & if so, why?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Re: Can wonder woman be transgender and still fit the lore?

Post by CashRules »

No, you're not off base. Of course, like all DC movies this one seems to be combining attributes of all incarnations of the characters so unless it was specified in the movie you can't be sure that this particular Wonder Woman was made from clay. The Golden Age/Earth Two Wonder Woman was the daughter of Hyppolyta and Zeus. She then went on to marry that world's Steve Trevor and have a daughter and their daughter wasn't adopted, she inherited her mother's powers. I say this movie combines characteristics of multiple incarnations because even though I haven't seen it I've already read that Batman kills some people. Some are acting like this is totally out of character. It's not at all out of character for the Golden Age/Earth Two Batman who carried a gun and killed a lot of people both intentionally and unintentionally. This was the source of some friction between the Silver Age/Earth-One Batman and his older Golden Age/Earth-Two counterpart when they first met. But no matter which mythology is followed, Wonder Woman is definitely female, both genetically and in how she identifies herself.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Re: Can wonder woman be transgender and still fit the lore?

Post by Anakin McFly »

On the other hand, a transgender man wouldn't identify as a woman, so he wouldn't call himself "Wonder Woman".
You have to admit that would make for an ultra secret secret identity, though. [none] Plus then there'd be the internal struggle between fulfilling his obligations as a female superhero and living as male.

...there's a good fanfic in there somewhere.