There won't be any good people left by the end of the year.

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

There won't be any good people left by the end of the year.

Post by Derived Absurdity »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muha ... 74-n584776

Fuck that man this year sucks. A lot.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Re: There won't be any good people left by the end of the year.

Post by Faustus5 »

Fun fact: he's the only celebrity I ever had a photo taken with.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Good? He was the greatest.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I've always been sort of confused about how Ali became so universally loved(as opposed to being more polarizing). Because I'm seeing a lot of people saying "RIP Ali" who would despise a young Ali today...because he was a brash, unapologetically black, politically outspoken athlete. People can't stand the Cam Newtons, Richard Shermans, and now people are even turning on Steph Curry because he's too "arrogant" on the court. And those guys aren't even politically active/outspoken.

So, when I see someone like Marv or Erjen celebrating Ali, I can't help but roll my eyes because people like that must have some weirdly sanitized version of Ali in their heads.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I think Ali was very polarizing when he was in his prime. I think a lot was forgiven or forgotten when he became a worn down old man in a wheelchair who could barely speak.
Ptolemy_Banana
Super Poster

Post by Ptolemy_Banana »

Ali was more controversial and received way more hatred than any of those guys in his time. But the world moves on, most of the people who hated Ali in the 60s are dead and his greatness lasts while the criticism and abuse fades out of memory. Ali was brash, unapologetically black and politically outspoken, and he was charismatic, supremely talented, and underneath all the bravado a likeable, gracious man.
OurGloriousLeader
Frequenter

Post by OurGloriousLeader »

Cassius Clay wrote:I've always been sort of confused about how Ali became so universally loved(as opposed to being more polarizing). Because I'm seeing a lot of people saying "RIP Ali" who would despise a young Ali today...because he was a brash, unapologetically black, politically outspoken athlete. People can't stand the Cam Newtons, Richard Shermans, and now people are even turning on Steph Curry because he's too "arrogant" on the court. And those guys aren't even politically active/outspoken.

So, when I see someone like Marv or Erjen celebrating Ali, I can't help but roll my eyes because people like that must have some weirdly sanitized version of Ali in their heads.
They just don't know about his principled stances, or ignore it. When it's brought up they'll say the same bullshit they always do.

See this thread on front page of reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... cipate_on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Half the comments are "he said bad things about white people that's racist".
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I just saw some lady say she was born in the 60s and that Ali has always been loved in America. [none]
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Cassius Clay wrote:I just saw some lady say she was born in the 60s and that Ali has always been loved in America. [none]
Well then, I stand corrected. [none]
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

A famous outspoken Muslim black guy during the 60s who resisted the draft... I don't even want to imagine the insane amount of hatred he must have been getting.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:I've always been sort of confused about how Ali became so universally loved(as opposed to being more polarizing). Because I'm seeing a lot of people saying "RIP Ali" who would despise a young Ali today...because he was a brash, unapologetically black, politically outspoken athlete. People can't stand the Cam Newtons, Richard Shermans, and now people are even turning on Steph Curry because he's too "arrogant" on the court. And those guys aren't even politically active/outspoken.

Literally this.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I read an article today titled 'If You Don't See Blackness, You Didn't See Muhammad Ali' which... yep, that's about it.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »