What is the simplest thing you've ever fucked up in your cooking endeavors?

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

What is the simplest thing you've ever fucked up in your cooking endeavors?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

For me it was rice. I didn't use a big enough pan for two cups of rice. So it boiled over & I had to lift the lid, interrupting the process & leaving the rice undercooked.

Second time went without a hitch.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: What is the simplest thing you've ever fucked up in your cooking endeavors?

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I've burned grilled cheese sandwiches countless times. Usually because I was getting stoned and forgot about them.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

BruceSmith78 wrote:I've burned grilled cheese sandwiches countless times. Usually because I was getting stoned and forgot about them.
I guess I should have specified while not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Bowl of cereal. When I was four I spilled milk EVERYWHERE. [none]
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I once cooked a pizza and managed to drop it, facedown, as I was taking it out of the oven. Womp womp. Made a hundred times worse by the fact that the people who lived here before us carpeted the kitchen. Who puts carpet in a kitchen? Someone who wants me to spend an hour scrubbing tomato sauce out of it?
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

sikax wrote:Bowl of cereal. When I was four I spilled milk EVERYWHERE. [none]
I've actually poured orange juice on my cereal cuz I wasn't paying attention. Maybe that shoulda been my answer.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

BruceSmith78 wrote:
sikax wrote:Bowl of cereal. When I was four I spilled milk EVERYWHERE. [none]
I've actually poured orange juice on my cereal cuz I wasn't paying attention. Maybe that shoulda been my answer.

No. I'm talking about actual cooking. Putting heat to something. Like trying to make chef mix in microwave only to have the butter burn everything.

That said, I've also poured orange juice on cereal. Frosted Flakes to be exact. Rather than throw out the cereal I said "fuck it", drained the orange juice into a cup (drank it of course), and poured the milk on the cereal. It wasn't terrible. It was very close to tasting like an orange creamsicle. I wouldn't make it again, but at least it was edible.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

^
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

I've burnt butter trying to melt it.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

This happens a little too often for my liking and it's not my fault, damnit! Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee makes these microwavable single serving ravioli, spaghetti and beefaroni meals. You are supposed to pull off the metal lid and then place the plastic top with holes in it on the little bowl and heat for about 50 or 60 seconds. After you remove the metal lid there is still a thin metal strip across the top of the bowl but it's not supposed to be enough metal to cause a problem. Usually it just causes some clanging sound like someone is scraping two jagged pieces of metal together. That's entertaining. [none] But about once in every 25 or 30 bowls at around the 48 second mark the whole thing explodes and causes a horrible mess all over the inside of my microwave. I keep buying these things.
Last edited by CashRules on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Boomer wrote:I've burnt butter trying to melt it.
That's easy to do.

So this wasn't really a "simple" thing that I messed up, but the first time that I cooked dinner for my now-wife, I started a fire. I was making seared chicken breast. I'd done it with no problem several times before. Heated up the pan and poured oil on it; but that pan was a little too hot, and the oil burst into flame. My microwave is dangerously close above the stove (not to code), so I didn't want to leave the pan there. I set it on the floor (some sort of tile) and ran to get a small extinguisher that we had upstairs. Put it out, no serious problems, but the tile were the pan was sitting had a melted/burned mark for a long time until I finally replaced it.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

I made sugar cookies once and accidently grabbed the baking soda instead of baking powder. They...were...awful.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

I did it again...I poured the wrong liquid on my cereal. I was excited to try this new Cheerios Protein cereal for breakfast. I pour my cheerios into a bowl. Grab the jug and start pouring...before I realize I'm pouring cranberry juice into the bowl. I hearken back to my college days and rather than pour everything out, I grab my vanilla flavored almond milk and finish pouring. It wasn't bad, I wouldn't do it again on purpose...but not terrible.