Pokemon GO

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Boomer
Super Poster

Pokemon GO

Post by Boomer »

Okay, I'm addicted to this game.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: Pokemon GO

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I don't really get it. What do you do when you find the Pokemons? You just collect 'em, kinda like geo caching for young people, or is there more to it?
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

My Windows phone contract comes to an end in about a month, so I'm going to get myself an Android phone and Pokemon Go, if only for the brief novelty value.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I've heard everyone talking about it all week, but I have no clue at all what it is. Not just another Pokemon game?
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

You walk around and look at the camera on your phone, and your phone adds a Pokemon to the scenery every so often, and then you gotta catch the fucker. As far as I can tell, that's it. That's the game.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So just an augmented reality game then. Wasn't that a fad like 7 years ago that never went anywhere?
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Gendo wrote:So just an augmented reality game then. Wasn't that a fad like 7 years ago that never went anywhere?
They never tried it with Pokemon though.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I downloaded it because it's free. Caught a Charmander.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

My sister is currently obsessed with Pokémon Go. I don't have a smart phone or the inclination to walk around much or I know I'd be out there catching Pokeymans too.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

aels wrote:My sister is currently obsessed with Pokémon Go. I don't have a smart phone or the inclination to walk around much or I know I'd be out there catching Pokeymans too.
If I get it, I likely won't wander around with my phone out for hours. i'll just see what I can catch in my house or at my parents' place [biggrin]
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

A video game where you actually have to walk around in public to play? Fuck that.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Blade Azaezel wrote:
aels wrote:My sister is currently obsessed with Pokémon Go. I don't have a smart phone or the inclination to walk around much or I know I'd be out there catching Pokeymans too.
If I get it, I likely won't wander around with my phone out for hours. i'll just see what I can catch in my house or at my parents' place [biggrin]
I feel like wandering around with your phone out is how you get mugged a lot. My sister caught a Pidgey in her bedroom. Not a euphemism.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Someone's already lost his job over it: http://mothership.sg/2016/07/man-calls- ... hin-a-day/
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Well, I don't think his vulgar complaint about being unable to play Pokemon is what got him fired, so much as the immature interaction that followed.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Anakin McFly wrote:Someone's already lost his job over it: http://mothership.sg/2016/07/man-calls- ... hin-a-day/
Wow. Though that really has very little to do with Pokemon GO; that's just an issue of not being allowed to badmouth the country you live in.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

That story is just one of many examples where internet users are a bunch of dicks. Jesus, to get a guy fired just cos he mouthed off is ridiculous.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'm inclined to agree, but given that he's the Vice President of Digital Marketing, the whole interaction doesn't give a good impression of his ability to do his job if he can't even control his own online image. It's similar to the Justine Sacco saga - she was also working in PR yet didn't seem aware of what making racist tweets in public might do. Marketing people are supposed to represent the company, whereas if he was an engineer or something I'd agree he shouldn't have been fired for this. I do marketing and social media management for my company, and if I were to one day get internet infamous for doing something stupid on social media, they'd be justified in firing me for it.

In his case I think it wasn't so much about badmouthing the country but rather his employers and colleagues - he suggested that they had to hire him because his local colleagues were too stupid and untalented. People can get fired for insulting their bosses, which is why most people don't do it, so I saw this in a similar vein.

Statement from the CEO: https://www.99.co/blog/singapore/foreig ... gy-appeal/
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Now it's coming out that Pokemon GO has full access to your Google account. Pretty much all other apps request "basic account information"' access. Full acces means it can do anything you can do; send emails, delete documents, etc. I revoked the access.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Gendo wrote:Now it's coming out that Pokemon GO has full access to your Google account. Pretty much all other apps request "basic account information"' access. Full acces means it can do anything you can do; send emails, delete documents, etc. I revoked the access.
What if you don't have a google account? Or do you need a google account if you have an android phone?? I've only had Windows for the last 5 years or so.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

It had a second option when I first opened the app; not something I'd heard of so probably their own account system.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

The best thing about Pokemon Go is reading stories about the negative impact it's having, from car crashes to robberies to finding dead bodies.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:The best thing about Pokemon Go is reading stories about the negative impact it's having, from car crashes to robberies to finding dead bodies.
Haters gonna haaaaaaaate.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Boomer wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:The best thing about Pokemon Go is reading stories about the negative impact it's having, from car crashes to robberies to finding dead bodies.
Haters gonna haaaaaaaate.
I never said I wasn't playing. I caught a ton of water pokemon and a few grass & bug at this park near where I work.

The worst thing about pokemon Go is I'm terrible at throwing Pokeballs.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Yeah I always throw curveballs on accident, gets frustrating.

At the park near me it's all pidgeys and drowzees.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Boomer wrote:Yeah I always throw curveballs on accident, gets frustrating.

At the park near me it's all pidgeys and drowzees.
I get a ton of pidgeys & rattatas. & Magikarp.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

I need to find a good magikarp spot, gotta get me a gyrados.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

[
Boomer wrote:I need to find a good magikarp spot, gotta get me a gyrados.
It takes 400 goddamned candies for that.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

It's also having some good effects, though - apparently it's getting a lot of depressed people to actually get out of their houses for the first time in ages and walk around in a park for hours, which is a great counter to depression.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

When I said best I meant 'most entertaiming'.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Was finding a dead body negative? I keep hearing about it and the context always makes it sound like, "Lol, you see what happens when you game too much?"

I mean, it's probably a little traumatic and it sucks that there was a dead body in a river or whatever, but the girl didn't kill anyone, and she probably brought closure to the deceased's family, and might have even helped solve a crime. I never hear dick about that, though.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I read yesterday that some Go players found a man overdosing on a park bench and called an ambulance. Pokemon Go, saving lives!
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

aels wrote:I read yesterday that some Go players found a man overdosing on a park bench and called an ambulance. Pokemon Go, saving lives!
Some girl walked out into the road to catch a Pokemon, got herself run down, and is now blaming the game. Yup...Pokemon Go can kill!!

I actually hope it does. This could be our best, legal opportunity to cull the human species of anyone with an IQ less than 100. If you're dumb as fuck enough to walk into a road / off a cliff / into a raging torrent for a pokemon and then die...well...thank you.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Blade Azaezel wrote:
aels wrote:I read yesterday that some Go players found a man overdosing on a park bench and called an ambulance. Pokemon Go, saving lives!
Some girl walked out into the road to catch a Pokemon, got herself run down, and is now blaming the game. Yup...Pokemon Go can kill!!

I actually hope it does. This could be our best, legal opportunity to cull the human species of anyone with an IQ less than 100. If you're dumb as fuck enough to walk into a road / off a cliff / into a raging torrent for a pokemon and then die...well...thank you.
I saw someone crashed their car playing while driving because numpties gonna numpty.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

This guy held up traffic and got 47 people to miss their flight, as well as costing hundreds of thousands in the 5 hour delay that created jams all over other roads:

http://warpedwales.co.uk/2016/07/15/cha ... p-on-m56/#
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Anakin McFly wrote:This guy held up traffic and got 47 people to miss their flight, as well as costing hundreds of thousands in the 5 hour delay that created jams all over other roads:

http://warpedwales.co.uk/2016/07/15/cha ... p-on-m56/#
I can't tell if you know that's a satirical news site or not [none]
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Some guy in the US opened fire on a couple of teenagers in a car because he thought they were burglars. Apparently he overheard one of them ask the other, "did you get anything?". Bit extreme tbh.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

...dammit, missed that.

Poe's Law, though, given that this one seems to be legit:

http://gothamist.com/2016/07/16/watch_h ... player.php

and
"Just last week, NBC San Diego reported on the case of two men who actually walked off a cliff in Encinitas, California, while playing Pokémon GO."
http://www.inquisitr.com/3316872/pokemo ... ares-soar/
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Cassius Clay wrote:

Holy shit I just burst out laughing at work.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Gendo wrote:Now it's coming out that Pokemon GO has full access to your Google account. Pretty much all other apps request "basic account information"' access. Full acces means it can do anything you can do; send emails, delete documents, etc. I revoked the access.

I keep seeing this, but when I check what apps have access to my google account Pokemon Go isn't even listed despite having created an account with it.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Monk wrote:

I keep seeing this, but when I check what apps have access to my google account Pokemon Go isn't even listed despite having created an account with it.
Well they released an update very shortly after the security news started going around which fixes the issue. Though I'm not sure why you aren't even seeing it listed; with the update it should be listed as having access to "basic account information".
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Gendo wrote:
Monk wrote:

Well they released an update very shortly after the security news started going around which fixes the issue. Though I'm not sure why you aren't even seeing it listed; with the update it should be listed as having access to "basic account information".

It's strange. I think I'm only seeing things I've given access to while using my computer, not my android device.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

So I read somewhere that there are some Pokemon which are unique to certain continents. Apparently Tauros is found in North America, Kangaskhan in Asia, Mr Mime in Europe and...i forget the others. Do we have enough people on this board covering the globe that we can trade, should the option be made available at some point?
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Pokemon Go just launched here! I've never done so much walking in years.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

the real challenge is trying to catch a pokemon whilst driving at 60mph.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Yeah, but I've found that if you simply up your speed to 70, the little bastards can't outrun you.
sikax
Ultimate Poster

Post by sikax »

Fuck Pokemon Go and everyone who plays Pokemon Go and their mothers.
The agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

That's a lot of fucking. You're gonna need Charlie Sheen's dick and some tiger blood.
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Caught a Lapras in the wild last night, woop woop!