Ghostbusters

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Ghostbusters

Post by Cassius Clay »

I've heard from some people who watched early screenings that it's actually pretty good. After the bizarre reaction to the trailers, will these assholes be forced to look at themselves in the mirror? Confront their own ugliness? Will I get to throw it in their faces for the next hundred years? Wouldn't that be delicious? Find out, next week, on Dragon Ball Z!
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Ghostbusters

Post by Derived Absurdity »

All the good reviews are being paid off by the evil SJW cabal.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Probably the same people planning the "summer of chaos":

http://www.snopes.com/deray-mckesson-an ... -of-chaos/
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I have no idea what's going on here.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

There's an all-female remake of Ghostbusters out, the trailer on Youtube is the most disliked trailer of all time, people are saying people don't like it because of sexism while other people are saying it's just because they don't like shitty movies, the former people say yes but would you have disliked it so much if it was an all-male remake, hmm?, and the latter people say basically idk lol we just hope this movie bombs, but not because we hate ladies or anything, it's just that we don't like shitty remakes of classic movies, honest, even though there's been like twenty shitty remakes of classic movies released in the last five years that haven't gotten a twentieth of the hate this one's gotten, but whatever, we're not sexist, but really, we just want it to bomb, but it turns out not to be bombing, which makes us sad.

That's as objective as I could make it.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

BruceSmith78 wrote:I have no idea what's going on here.
Look behind you...
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Oh, I mean I knew there was a remake of Ghostbusters with all female leads, and I was thinking about watching it, but hadn't heard about any controversy around the youtube trailer. I know it has a horrible IMDb rating right now, although it hasn't officially released I don't think, which made me a little suspicious about the motivation behind the rating.
Last edited by BruceSmith78 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

IMDB ratings are crap. When The Dark Knight came out thousands of people gave The Godfather gave 1 star just so they could push The Dark Knight to the top.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Also, I have a Facebook friend, i.e. someone I knew in high school, who has been posting warnings that Obama is behind the Dallas shootings and he is going to declare martial law so that he can stay in office. Needless to say, dude is an avid Trump supporter, and altogether pretty nutty. I keep him on my friends list because he's entertaining.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

who has been posting warnings that Obama is behind the Dallas shootings and he is going to declare martial law so that he can stay in office.
Unfortunately, Obama is nowhere near cool enough to do any of that.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I honestly wasn't impressed by the trailer (I really wanted to like it, but the jokes didn't work for me), but I'm happy to hear from others that it's actually pretty good, and hope it's a case where the movie is better than the trailers.

also my dad said that people were 'boycotting' Ghostbusters because they said it was sexist. I don't really want to know what he meant.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Derived Absurdity wrote:IMDB ratings are crap. When The Dark Knight came out thousands of people gave The Godfather gave 1 star just so they could push The Dark Knight to the top.
Why would anyone ever rank The Godfather higher than 1?
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

The fact that Melissa McCarthy is in it automatically makes this movie a failure.
__
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I genuinely hope it wins Oscars. It won't but I hope it does. I'm not going to see it, I haven't seen the original, I don't care if it's any good, I just want to drink deep of frightened fanboy tears. Some of the screencaps here are hilarous: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/102496754.html
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I hope it wins all the Oscars, all the Oshouses, all the Osbikes, and breaks opening weekend records.

But, really, what's fucked up tho is that the only real issue with the movie is that the 3 white actresses are playing smart scientists and Leslie Jones is playing a sort of stereotypical black, "sassy" role. Now, that's kind of Leslie Jones's shtick as a comedian anyway, and maybe it wouldn't read as badly if there were a bunch of different/diverse black characters, but having the only black woman play that role comes off badly. All of that is overlooked and overshadowed by a buch of whiny, manbabies complaining about misandry.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

CashRules wrote:
Derived Absurdity wrote:IMDB ratings are crap. When The Dark Knight came out thousands of people gave The Godfather gave 1 star just so they could push The Dark Knight to the top.
I think you might be literally the only person in the world who doesn't like The Godfather.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

To be fair, I saw some backlash against critics who were criticizing the movie in completely non-misogynist ways.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

The racist criticism was actually the first criticism I heard for the trailer, which probably says good things about my online social circles. I get why they did that, because they were trying to parallel the characters in the original movie by gender swapping all of them, which in this case meant replicating that racism.

Meanwhile, it's been banned in China for completely different reasons: https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/movies/gh ... 00062.html

Also lol: http://amp.usatoday.com/story/87027756/
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Derived Absurdity wrote:
CashRules wrote:
I think you might be literally the only person in the world who doesn't like The Godfather.
Robert Duvall is the only actor in that movie who has any talent. The rest have played the same damn character in every movie they've ever made.
__
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Cassius Clay wrote:I've heard from some people who watched early screenings that it's actually pretty good. After the bizarre reaction to the trailers, will these assholes be forced to look at themselves in the mirror? Confront their own ugliness? Will I get to throw it in their faces for the next hundred years? Wouldn't that be delicious? Find out, next week, on Dragon Ball Z!

It's getting overall mixed reviews with an average 6.X/10 as I had a feeling it would. I myself was concerned thst they were just using the gender swap as a gimmick, but had an open mind. Haven't seen it, though considering it.

And to answer your question, they're doubling down on IMDb.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Anakin McFly wrote:I honestly wasn't impressed by the trailer (I really wanted to like it, but the jokes didn't work for me), but I'm happy to hear from others that it's actually pretty good, and hope it's a case where the movie is better than the trailers.

also my dad said that people were 'boycotting' Ghostbusters because they said it was sexist. I don't really want to know what he meant.
There are posters on IMDb complaining about all the men in the movi being idiotic or antagonistic towards the ghostbusters. So their argumen is it's sexist against men.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

4.1 on IMDb! That's an improvement from the 3.8 I saw earlier.

EDIT: I checked out the IMDb boards. That was a mistake.

Apart from the expected misogyny, someone said this movie was bad because Leslie Jones was "too ugly to look at". But she looks fine to me, and it's not as though the original cast were all male models, yo.

also people were accusing people of being SJWs for doing the exact kind of things that SJWs usually criticise (calling someone 'autistic' as an insult), which was bizarre.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

It's at 5.

I just saw it. It's meh. I think Leslie Jones' character is my favorite and the trailers just makes her look really bad. They had some good action scenes & liked that they had new weapons. Jokes were hit or miss & didn't know when to end them. They movie didn't know if it wanted to be fanservice or its own thing. It's worth watching in 3-D if you go.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Absolutely nothing I've heard about this movie makes me want to see it, and in fact makes me want to run away from it really really fast. Paradoxically, I'm glad it's getting okay-ish reviews and seems set to be successful, because I like to imagine the sexists crying. Still not going to see it though.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Same. I'll wait for the torrents.

I like the irony that if it weren't for all the sexist outrage, this movie might have been much more likely to flop. Whereas now there are people who'll watch it just to see what the fuss is about, or to make a political statement against the misogynist whining.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I kind of want that to be true, but I don't know. Are most people in real life and/or casual movie-goers even aware there's a controversy going on? Or is that just confined to the weird enclave of shut-ins that is the Internet?
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'm part of that weird enclave of shut-ins, so I have no idea.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

My wife and I didn't know there was a controversy until you weird shut-ins told me.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I immediately found out about the Ghostbusters issue when the trailer was first released. The dislikes and the comments told you everything you needed to know. My girlfriend's not an "internet person", so she never knows what the hell is going on.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I never saw the trailer, I rarely look at the number of dislikes a video has, and I almost never read YouTube comments.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I rarely look at the number of dislikes a video has
That tells me all I need to know. [none]
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Lol, RedLetterMedia just ripped this movie apart. Called it desperate and pathetic.

I think that settles it.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

RedLetterMedia are Youtube movie review people and they're funny and smart and they generally know what they're talking about. They're the ones who made those infamous Star Wars prequels reviews several years ago. They were also the only ones who called Boyhood shit when everyone else was too scared to.

I just want Milo and all his fans to die already.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I don't even know how Milo has fans. He claims that gamers are pathetic beta male losers and then later positions himself as a spokesman for Gamergate. He claims he's persecuted for being an LGBT activist and then posts all the transphobia. Not to mention that he's a gay guy working for a website that's notorious for its extreme homophobia. How does he have fans? Where are those people coming from? Did they mistake him for the delicious drink?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Same reason Donald Trump has fans for his nativism and xenophobia after being mostly a lefty only a few years ago. People are really, really dumb.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'd rather hang out with Donald than Milo. Trump is just a not-too-bright bigot who may destroy the world; Milo is evil. I hate GamerGate, but I can at least empathise with is how many of them are socially awkward, sexually frustrated shut-ins like myself who were bullied throughout childhood and found solace in video games - which they now see as being intruded upon by the same cool popular kids who used to bully them and now expect to them to share their toys with, despite continuing to despise them and make fun of them for not being able to talk to people or get laid. Milo did all that but then realised that pretending to support gamers would get them all fawning over him, because they're actually getting attention from popular people for the first time in their lives, and he's exploiting all of that just to have a larger platform to spread his atrocious misogyny.

also this: http://imgur.com/BaiS7GP

He just exudes this vicious contempt for everybody.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I wouldn't mind murdering this dude.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Why are people such cunts? Seriously.

This is why I'm for transhumanism. Fuck humanity, we're broken, fix us.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

He seemed to be the main person instigating the racist and sexist attacks against Leslie Jones, plus he fabricated homophobic tweets from her to further egg them on. (which is... how this derail happened.) I'm pretty sure he's some kind of sociopath. In all his photos he looks evil.

also lol he founded the Yiannopoulos Privilege Grant, which offers $2,500 scholarships "exclusively available to white men who wish to pursue their post-secondary education on equal footing with their female, queer and ethnic minority counterparts":

http://www.privilegegrant.com

I agree that students from low-income backgrounds should receive help even if they're white and male, but the way he puts it he seems to think it's their race and gender standing in the way rather than their poverty.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Everything about him gives off sociopath vibes.

The depressing thing about him is not him himself (I've known there are sociopaths for a while), but the extremely large fanbase of moral and intellectual degenerates he's been able to accrue. I know, next to Trump this should seem like small potatoes, but... the sheer amount of dumb shitty people in the world, along with just the sheer intensity of their dumbness and shittiness, still manages to shock me.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

What's really aggravating about these types is not just the sociopathy but the lack of self-awareness. They all have these very delusional self-images. They fancy themselves these brave, truth-telling mavericks when they're really dishonest fucks who have to rationalize their bullshit/twist the truth to protect their fragile egos.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Comes with the package, really. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a self-aware sociopath. Meaning, one with an accurate self-image.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Castor Troy, Joker, Malvo, OGL [none]
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

After reading more, I don't think he thinks of himself as brave or truth-telling. There was this long article he wrote that I skimmed through - https://archive.is/1FoFy - about the alt-right and how they were made up of 'rebellious youth' and 'intellectuals' exposing the silly social norms of the world in which people get so easily shocked and offended by certain behaviours: "They have no real problem with race-mixing, homosexuality, or even diverse societies: it's just fun to watch the mayhem and outrage that erupts when those secular shibboleths are openly mocked. These younger mischief-makers instinctively understand who the authoritarians are and why and how to poke fun at them."

Basically he fancies himself the world's greatest troll harassing people for the lolz.

Though his misogyny and racism appear legit, as does his concern that white men are being oppressed.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

This is the first I've heard of this Milo character. Seems like a charming fellow.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Milo is what you get when you smash Perez Hilton and Ann Coulter together to make one person. Two of the worst people in the world combined in one.

He's basically a hero with the far right, anti-PC, anti-"SJW", fascist-wannabe crowd.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

It's the alt-right; from what I know, the far right can't stand him either.

I also found an interview in which he was talking about his religion (Roman Catholicism) and how its from the Bible that we know what's right and wrong. So he was being all fundie literalist about that until the interviewer asked but isn't he a proudly promiscuous gay man? And he was like yep, and that's a sin but it doesn't bother him. It wasn't even in the usual self-hating religious gay guy sort of way. He just honestly didn't care. He actually ignores his own moral code. It's amazing.

He's also a Jewish Nazi-wannabe, because why not.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

What's the difference between the alt-right and the far right? The alt-right are fascist wannabes and edgy white supremacists. The far right seems to be the same.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

The far right would probably never tolerate a gay Jew as one of its leaders. I think the alt right is mostly obnoxious young people of the sort who hang out at 4chan and TheRedPill; they're also more educated, tech-savvy, often atheists, while the far right are older, less-educated conservatives, primarily Christians, who have probably not heard of the term SJW and only know that they hate blacks and Muslims and feminists and gays and want to make America great again.