Stranger Things

Faustus5
Super Poster

Stranger Things

Post by Faustus5 »

Anyone caught this Netflix exclusive series yet? I highly recommend it. Not the best TV show ever, just kind of fun, especially if you grew up watching horror and science fiction in the 80's. Oh, and played Dungeons and Dragons with your friends in the basement. Which I did, like the main characters.

It is very consciously 80's retro and combines a lot of pop culture elements popular in the time period (think Spielberg mashed with Stephen King). I see elements of The Goonies, Poltergeist, Close Encounters, Carrie, ET, It, Alien, etc.. Even the soundtrack sounds like it uses old school synthesizers.

I normally can't stand child actors, but the stand out performance for me was Millie Bobby Brown as a mysterious escaped lab rat with weird powers. She is going to be a major, award-winning movie star one day. You can just tell.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Stranger Things

Post by Cassius Clay »

I keep hearing this is good. I'll check it out.

What'd you think about 'Super 8'?
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Cassius Clay wrote:I keep hearing this is good. I'll check it out.

What'd you think about 'Super 8'?
Never saw it. I heard luke warm reviews of it. But it was trying for the same vibe, obviously.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Super 8 was better than DA says, but not great. A co-worker of mine thinks it's one of the greatest things ever.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Just saw it (Stranger Things). It was okay. I probably would have liked it more if I cared more about horror and sci fi from the 80s. Story was predictable and characters were flat.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Just saw it! It was awesome, mostly because I care a lot about sci fi from the 80s.