Detroit

thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Detroit

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

So - I'm here in Detroit at the moment and have been coming to Detroit for say the last 11 years on and off.. and I have to say, this place has changed enormously.

The first time I came here the place was all Mad max post apocalyptic scaey arse bullshit .. burning barrels in the street surrounded by gangs - you literally could not walk out downtown after dark, most of the cities buildings were boarded up and vacant .. place was a sinking mess.
Underneath it all you could always see the bones of a once great looking city - like I imagine Chicago was back in the day before more modern skyscapers started dominating the sky line.

But in the last 5 or so.. years thet started spending money rejuvenating the place. Initially, I was pretty sceptical about the chances of success, td here was a lot more wrong about the local economy that a few restorations were going to fix.. But - it seems to be working ..people are moving back down town, the downtown area is now actually really nice .. the economy seems to be picking up with house prices now at historically high levels .. the place actually feels alive.

So - well done Detroit - I'm a hard man to impress but impress me you have!
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Re: Detroit

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Sounds suspiciously like gentrification to me. [none]
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Re: Detroit

Post by Monk »

Way late to the party here, but I travel to Michigan pretty regularly but never actually been to Detroit (even though I fly into DTW). Any recs?