Really beginning to dislike AMC theaters

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Really beginning to dislike AMC theaters

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

The one nearest me is always dirty so their solution is to add a bar to get people drunk enough not to notice. Not to mention it is the only theater within a 5 mile/30 minute radius because fuck all if I'm going on the highway or driving more than 30 minutes if I can avoid it.

I was really liking the one near my work. Two floors, two concessions stand. Then the app revealed to me AMC's piss poor policy that makes me think the whole company is allergic to money. Apparently you can't by tickets for Thursday nights for movies that are "opening" Friday. So I bought my ticket for 7 o'clock only to wait for nearly an hour and then saw on my stub the date was for tomorrow (would have been nice if the ticket taker had noticed too). Anyway, I go to guest services and I say I'm willing to pay the difference & see the movie in 3D as it starts at the same time I wanted to see it. Well, as I said, apparently they don't like money. They could only exchange the ticket for a later time.

Seriously, if the Regal in Springfield Town Center wer consistent in the big budget movies they show, I'd go there even though I do have to use hight. Why? Because it's clean; it has tiered, reserved seating; and it's not too much of a drive (paractically a straight shot).
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Really beginning to dislike AMC theaters

Beginning to dislike the moviegoing experience in general. Sat next to a guy who kept going "oh shit!" everytime something actiony or comedic occurred or when there was a dramatic reveal. And he kept checking his cell, not to mention he didn't turn of his sound so when he got a call it was very distracting.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Cinema tickets at the Odeon in my town, pretty much the only cinema nearby, are £11.50 for adults. the DVD will eventually be released for a pretty standard £10, so why in god's name would I spent £11.50 just to see it on a big screen with a bunch of people munching through popcorn, chattering away and generally just being annoying, when I can spend £10 and watch it whenever I want in the comfort of my own home? I remember when tickets were £5.60. It was ten years ago, but is that so goddamn long??? they take the piss these days.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Blade Azaezel wrote:Cinema tickets at the Odeon in my town, pretty much the only cinema nearby, are £11.50 for adults. the DVD will eventually be released for a pretty standard £10, so why in god's name would I spent £11.50 just to see it on a big screen with a bunch of people munching through popcorn, chattering away and generally just being annoying, when I can spend £10 and watch it whenever I want in the comfort of my own home? I remember when tickets were £5.60. It was ten years ago, but is that so goddamn long??? they take the piss these days.
How the hell are your dvds so cheap? They end up being about 5 dollars or more than a PM ticket.

Also, I don't mind the food noise, it's part of the experience. I don't even mind the occasional whisper. It's the out loud commentary I can't stand.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Blade Azaezel wrote:Cinema tickets at the Odeon in my town, pretty much the only cinema nearby, are £11.50 for adults. the DVD will eventually be released for a pretty standard £10, so why in god's name would I spent £11.50 just to see it on a big screen with a bunch of people munching through popcorn, chattering away and generally just being annoying, when I can spend £10 and watch it whenever I want in the comfort of my own home? I remember when tickets were £5.60. It was ten years ago, but is that so goddamn long??? they take the piss these days.
How the hell are your dvds so cheap? They end up being about 5 dollars or more than a PM ticket.

Also, I don't mind the food noise, it's part of the experience. I don't even mind the occasional whisper. It's the out loud commentary I can't stand.
Huh? You're buying your DVDs at the wrong time or at the wrong places. The majority of my 1800 DVDs were bought for less than $5, the rest for less than $10. Sure, when a movie is both popular and brand new on DVD it can be expensive, but you just don't buy it when it's still brand new; problem solved.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:

Huh? You're buying your DVDs at the wrong time or at the wrong places. The majority of my 1800 DVDs were bought for less than $5, the rest for less than $10. Sure, when a movie is both popular and brand new on DVD it can be expensive, but you just don't buy it when it's still brand new; problem solved.
I'm doing a relative comparison to brand new movie releases:

Azzy said their new dvds were 1.50 pounds less than the movie tickets. Here, they are at least $5 dollars more than PM ticket

I know you can buy older DVDs for less. But that isn't the point. I realize pounds aren't the same as dollars, but even with the exchange rate the dvds would cost less. My question is why newly released dvds cost less than theater tickets there while newly released DVDs here cost more than the tickets.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

To be honest, I'm going by the cheapest price for a new dvd. some of our supermarkets sell new releases for a tenner, but places like HMV, and sometimes Amazon, sell them for about £12-£15. Still, for the most part it's cheaper on dvd than a cinema ticket in my experience.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Blade Azaezel wrote:To be honest, I'm going by the cheapest price for a new dvd. some of our supermarkets sell new releases for a tenner, but places like HMV, and sometimes Amazon, sell them for about £12-£15. Still, for the most part it's cheaper on dvd than a cinema ticket in my experience.
I usually do morning matinee which is about
$7.50. And now I've depressed myself because I remember matinee was before 5 & cost $5.00.

Also, the basic new release DVD is about the same if not a little more expensive than a pm ticket here. Forget the 2 or 3 (if you splurge for 3d) discs/digital in one.