Jupiter Ascending

Monk
Ultra Poster

Jupiter Ascending

Post by Monk »

Anyone see this movie?

The good:
-Eddie Redmayne is delightfully melodramatic. He was so over the top, I loved it and always wanted to see more of him on the screen.
-Some cool visuals. There are some beautiful shots and creative sets throughout the film.
-World-building. Nothing all that original, overall, but it was a good stab at creating a new universe that could be built upon
-A lacking of sexist comments, which is nice to see in a sci-fi adventure with a female lead. Also, it's nice seeing a female lead that isn't basically a bro with boobs.

The bad:
-Pretty much everything else
-Terrible dialogue and inconceivable plots and plot devices (WTF is with the bees recognizing royalty? Seriously?)
-Awful character development
-Over reliance on shitty CGI
-Extended CGI battles where you can't tell the enemies from the protagonist (Transformers style)

Basically, it seemed like they tried to shove an entire season of a TV show into a single 2-hour movie.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Re: Jupiter Ascending

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

^ pretty much agree with everything you said except Eddie Redmayne. I thought he was way way too over the top - like some sort of hyper Voldemort ..
I've like him on most of the stuff he has been in - but just couldn't find anything redeeming in this performance.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: Jupiter Ascending

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:^ pretty much agree with everything you said except Eddie Redmayne. I thought he was way way too over the top - like some sort of hyper Voldemort ..
I've like him on most of the stuff he has been in - but just couldn't find anything redeeming in this performance.
Kind of this generation's Jeremy Irons a la Dungeons & Dragons?