Ever block someone on facebook?

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Ever block someone on facebook?

Post by Monk »

I just did it for the first time. Unfriended and then blocked him. A guy from high school I used to sort of hang out with, but always thought he was kind of an arrogant prick. Not much has changed over the years, other than he's become more arrogant and a bigger prick. We would sometimes bond over some of our shared nerdiness (comics, sci fi, fantasy, etc), but whenever we had a disagreement over something he'd turn that shit up to 11. Accusations of laziness, stupidity, etc, usually because he would intentionally be vague so he could accuse me of misrepresenting him. The most recent discussion was him lecturing me about science, specifically about how I shouldn't believe a systematic review/meta-analysis I posted because they're not as informative as individual studies. It got to the point where he told me I should be fired from my job (I work as a research assistant in an immunology lab, in case anyone is curious) in order to improve the current state of science, and then proceeded to insult my intelligence some more. The dude is a fucking stage actor, and literally called himself a scientist. No joke. After having to deal with his emotional outbursts for probably the 10th time, I was just done. I was sick of walking on egg shells every time I spoke to him. Luckily I'll probably never have to see him in person again, but if I do I'm pretty sure I'm going to tell him to fuck off.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Anyone else have some fun (awful) facebook stories they want to divulge?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Re: Ever block someone on facebook?

Post by CashRules »

I just block people in real life.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I cockblock people in real life.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Nice
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I've blocked looooads of people. Usually when I'm tired of their ignorant, racist statuses, or some other bullshit. It's why I have about 90 friends on facebook and only talk to about 20 of them regularly.

I've been blocked myself too. when I was looking into buying my house last year, roughly around this time, I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to afford it on my own. I had a friend who was looking to move out, and I asked if he'd want to rent with me. I was originally looking for a 3 bedroom, but eventually settled on a 2 bed because I figured it'd be more affordable and easier in the long run to repay if he left. I was going to charge him £350 a month which, having looked around at rental properties in the area, was a pretty decent deal. He didn't want to pay that for a 2 bed house, but felt more comfortable with £300. Anyway, the talk of moving in together kinda fizzled out a bit (which I'm glad about as he was being funny about the money side of things) and I started dating my now-girlfriend in October '15. Fast forward to late December and things are going well with my now-girlfriend and I'm definitely having second thoughts about renting to my friend. We haven't spoken about it for a while, so I'm kinda hoping he's forgotten/isn't interested anymore. It'd suit me, as I'd have a house to myself if/when my GF ever wants to come round and visit. As it's only a small 2 bedroom terraced house, it'd be a bit cramped and awkward if I had to relegate my friend to his bedroom, or vice versa.

Anyway, he texts me just before New Year and asks if he's still moving in. I reply that, as we hadn't talked about it for a while, I was thinking of doing it alone to see if I can afford it comfortably enough. He replies back that he's disappointed, as his brother has bought him a load of stuff for the house already. He then defriends me on facebook and hasn't spoken to me since.

I realise I'm probably the one to blame in this scenario, but I'd like to think that if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't have defriended and cut out that person from my life. Meh, not that it matters, the guy was basically a Sheldon-esque arrogant, sarcastic know-it-all who was right about everything, EVERYTHING, and I always felt like I was stepping on eggshells around him. Kinda better off now. He isn't. He's still living at home and hasn't found anywhere cheap to rent. HA [none]

INB4 tl;dr
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Eh, you probably should have told him earlier but if they fizzled I can see myself potentially doing the same thing. If he was being funny about money, that would be a red flag for me. The fact that his brother is buying stuff for the house also seems kinda strange to me, but maybe I'm being too judgmental here

Did he unfriend and block you? I've been unfriended several times, and have done the same, but blocking is a step further. None of your previous interactions are visible to either of you, and you can't search one another's profiles
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

Monk wrote:Eh, you probably should have told him earlier but if they fizzled I can see myself potentially doing the same thing. If he was being funny about money, that would be a red flag for me. The fact that his brother is buying stuff for the house also seems kinda strange to me, but maybe I'm being too judgmental here

Did he unfriend and block you? I've been unfriended several times, and have done the same, but blocking is a step further. None of your previous interactions are visible to either of you, and you can't search one another's profiles
Yeah, looking back I should've broken the news sooner. Although tbh I think he'd have unfriended me either way. He unfriended me a while back when I was at uni because my facebook statuses bored him [none]

I thought it was a bit weird that he was buying things for the house, because it's still my house. He'd have just been getting a room!

I may not actually be blocked then, as I think I can still see his profile.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I have blocked two people on FB. First person was my former best friend, who was a controlling, joy-ruining, emotional vampire who I had been trying to extricate myself from for a long time. When I got the chance, I unfriended and immediately blocked her on FB so that she couldn't send me any spiteful messages. Forgot she had my email address so I got a lovely message about how I think I'm such hot shit but actually I'm lady Hitler. I was very upset but managed to cheer myself up by invading Czechoslovakia.

Second person was my friend's husband who cheated on her and lied about it and said that anyone who didn't believe his side of the story should just unfriend him because we obviously didn't want to understand that actually he made the BRAVE and LOVING decision to end his marriage. I posted on his wall along the lines of 'Huge respect for you for managing to wait a whole twenty weeks after the wedding to fuck another woman' and then blocked him because I was not interested in getting a whiny message explaining that I didn't understaaaaand (I understood plenty, because I got the story from his wife). For bonus points, his wife'as father was dying of cancer at the time. We all disliked her husband and thought she was far too good for him but put up with him for her sake - he seemed to think that he and I were genuine friends and that my unrelenting mockery of him was playful banter. He was homophobic, said that he wished he had the 'luxury' of lying around in bed like me (read: being disabled), and once told me that my latest profile picture was 'One for the wank bank' in front of my friend/his fiancée. Fuck off, you cheaty cunt.

I'm glad you dropped your friend, he sounds like a first class prick. I am trying to get better about pruning dickheads from my life but I'm weak. I unfriended someone for being a racist Little Englander with possible Narcisstic Personality Disorder and took her back when she sent me a sad message about how we weren't friends any more. And that's why we should unfriend *and* block.

I've been blocked, by my cousin, no less. My cousin is... well, I think a lot of my ancestors on my mother's side of the family were siblings. Just before Brexit, she (anti-immgration Sun reader even though the man she is currently pregnant by IS AN IMMIGRANT) and my sister (filthy liberal Remain voter) got into it when my cousin posted some bullshit Brexit propaganda and my sister pointed out that it was false and also that her position was shitty and self-defeating. My cousin unfriended and blocked my sister and then made a post about how she had to block a mean old awful person who was bullying a pregnant woman and I replied that while she could block whoever she pleased for whatever reason she pleased, it was unfair and inaccurate to characterise my sister as a bully just for expressing political disagreement. So she blocked me too [cooldance]
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

aels wrote:I've been blocked, by my cousin, no less. My cousin is... well, I think a lot of my ancestors on my mother's side of the family were siblings. Just before Brexit, she (anti-immgration Sun reader even though the man she is currently pregnant by IS AN IMMIGRANT) and my sister (filthy liberal Remain voter) got into it when my cousin posted some bullshit Brexit propaganda and my sister pointed out that it was false and also that her position was shitty and self-defeating.
It's weird seeing people support self defeating points of view. I had a friend from the Punjab who liked and followed the EDL/BNP on facebook and shared some of their posts whenever they slated Muslims. I decided to quote some of the facebook page's finer points to him. As an Asian, living in the UK and dating a Polish immigrant, he would've been virtually top of the list of people they'd have deported. Weird to see him unite with them in his hatred of Islam [odd]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I think people mentally split the world into 'good immigrants' who have jumped through the appropriate assimilation hoops whereas Muslims are 'bad immigrants' who want to ruin everything and therefore believe that when the BNP and EDL talk about the repatriation of immigrants, they don't mean them. MATE. THEY MEAN YOU. As a whitey McWhitePerson, it always feels icky to be like 'Ooh PoC, you are doing it *wrong*' and I get the logic of capitulating to a horrific power structure in the hope that it decides to spare you (I have been a Cool Girl in my time) but you can't negotiate with white supremacy. I mean, dang.
RedRuth1963
New Timer

Post by RedRuth1963 »

I haven't unfriended anyone but I've been unfriended twice. Once was my fault, I made a stupid off the cuff comment that I later apologised for but, too late. He was an IMBDer I didn't really know but it was my fault so I felt bad. The other was a really old friend, someone I spent a lot of time with and who I was close with along time ago, she unfriended me over our difference of opinion on vaccinations. I've had a few arguments about vaccinations and GMOs with people I knew years ago, consequence of knowing alot of old hippies I suppose. But she was a good friend years ago. Interestingly she turned up on the news recently, she volunteers at the 'Jungle' refugee camp and has given a few forthright interviews to the press. So she really is a good person, just wrong about vaccines.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

aels wrote:I have blocked two people on FB. First person was my former best friend, who was a controlling, joy-ruining, emotional vampire who I had been trying to extricate myself from for a long time. When I got the chance, I unfriended and immediately blocked her on FB so that she couldn't send me any spiteful messages. Forgot she had my email address so I got a lovely message about how I think I'm such hot shit but actually I'm lady Hitler. I was very upset but managed to cheer myself up by invading Czechoslovakia.

Second person was my friend's husband who cheated on her and lied about it and said that anyone who didn't believe his side of the story should just unfriend him because we obviously didn't want to understand that actually he made the BRAVE and LOVING decision to end his marriage. I posted on his wall along the lines of 'Huge respect for you for managing to wait a whole twenty weeks after the wedding to fuck another woman' and then blocked him because I was not interested in getting a whiny message explaining that I didn't understaaaaand (I understood plenty, because I got the story from his wife). For bonus points, his wife'as father was dying of cancer at the time. We all disliked her husband and thought she was far too good for him but put up with him for her sake - he seemed to think that he and I were genuine friends and that my unrelenting mockery of him was playful banter. He was homophobic, said that he wished he had the 'luxury' of lying around in bed like me (read: being disabled), and once told me that my latest profile picture was 'One for the wank bank' in front of my friend/his fiancée. Fuck off, you cheaty cunt.

I'm glad you dropped your friend, he sounds like a first class prick. I am trying to get better about pruning dickheads from my life but I'm weak. I unfriended someone for being a racist Little Englander with possible Narcisstic Personality Disorder and took her back when she sent me a sad message about how we weren't friends any more. And that's why we should unfriend *and* block.

I've been blocked, by my cousin, no less. My cousin is... well, I think a lot of my ancestors on my mother's side of the family were siblings. Just before Brexit, she (anti-immgration Sun reader even though the man she is currently pregnant by IS AN IMMIGRANT) and my sister (filthy liberal Remain voter) got into it when my cousin posted some bullshit Brexit propaganda and my sister pointed out that it was false and also that her position was shitty and self-defeating. My cousin unfriended and blocked my sister and then made a post about how she had to block a mean old awful person who was bullying a pregnant woman and I replied that while she could block whoever she pleased for whatever reason she pleased, it was unfair and inaccurate to characterise my sister as a bully just for expressing political disagreement. So she blocked me too [cooldance]

Damn, those sound like good situations to block people. The former best friend one sounds especially rough. I'm sorry to hear about that. I've had some falling out with good friends in the past. It's especially hurtful. I've been close to unfriending some conservative relatives who constantly spew anti-muslim, and other racist bullshit on a regular basis. In those cases I've decided just to unfollow them so I don't have to see their bullshit anymore.

And yeah, he was a huge prick. I should have done it a year or two ago. He goes off on these tirades whenever someone would disagree with him, and then accuses everyone else of questionable behavior or whatever. I will say that in the week since I blocked him, my experiences on Facebook have been far more pleasant without his intermittent little temper tantrums and casually sexist comment (which are definitely not sexist - he calls "everyone" a cunt).
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

RedRuth1963 wrote:I haven't unfriended anyone but I've been unfriended twice. Once was my fault, I made a stupid off the cuff comment that I later apologised for but, too late. He was an IMBDer I didn't really know but it was my fault so I felt bad. The other was a really old friend, someone I spent a lot of time with and who I was close with along time ago, she unfriended me over our difference of opinion on vaccinations. I've had a few arguments about vaccinations and GMOs with people I knew years ago, consequence of knowing alot of old hippies I suppose. But she was a good friend years ago. Interestingly she turned up on the news recently, she volunteers at the 'Jungle' refugee camp and has given a few forthright interviews to the press. So she really is a good person, just wrong about vaccines.

Yeah, I don't think I could keep my mouth shut if my friends posted anti-vaxxer bullshit either.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Fanks mate. I had some good times with my friend but the bad times ended up massively outweighing them. I was a nervous wreck by the end. She's a very insecure person, as I am, but while I turn my insecurity inwards like any normal self-loathing maniac, she used to pick at me to feel better about herself and she was really jealous about me being friends with other people. She ended up falling in love with me, because she has terrible taste, which made her even more controlling. I was really worried she'd try and sabotage my friendships with our circle, because she'd tried to isolate me from my friends in the past, but it turns out that everyone knows exactly what she's like [laugh]
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Damn, sounds rough but ultimately a good decision. Glad your other friends could see her for what she was.