Nintendo Switch

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Raxivace »

Mario Odyssey has a part where Mario escapes via motorcycle from a fucking T-rex running through a metropolitan city and its not even the best part of the game.

This is an extremely good game.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Xenoblade 2 is coming out on Friday. Anyone else picking it up?

Just me? Okay.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

https://e3.nintendo.com/sale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is pretty cool. Mario Odyssey for $40! I was going to get it with that 2 vouchers for $100 deal; but this is even better. And now I don't need to find a 4th $60 game I want to make 4 vouchers worth it.

List of games I'm getting right away:

[listicon]Mario+Rabbids - the only physical game we'll have... bought it because $32 was a great price... but then suddenly Nintendo announces this deal! Should have waited 2 days; would have saved a few bucks and had it digitally instead (which we prefer).

[listicon]Mario Odyssey

[listicon]Mario Maker 2 - Technically won't have it for a couple weeks after I have the Switch. But getting it with the "2 for $100" deal. Literally the reason we bought a Switch now.

[listicon]Smash Ultimate - The other "2 for $100".

[listicon]Cuphead

[listicon]Baba is You

[listicon]Undertale

[listicon]Final Fantasy X+X2

[listicon]Cadence of Hyrule

[listicon]Unravel Two

[listicon]Link's Awakening - Not available for a couple months; but we'll get it when it is.

[listicon]BOTW Sequel - Obviously. Probably more than a year out.

So only about 4 "AAA" games, for now.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Oh, and we'll probably get the Labo kit. Seems like a fun activity to build the things together.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

FFX and FFX-2 are both pretty good, I think both are in top 5 FF games for me- definitely top 6 at least. The only really problem I have with them is that FFX kind of suffers from "early 2000's video game dubbing" and there's no cutscene skip, which gets kind of annoying if you get stuck on a boss.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Also Witcher 3 is getting a Switch port, if you're interested in that.

I had pretty mixed feelings on that game but both Jimbo and Maz liked it a lot.

EDIT: Switcher 3.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I did a trial run thing of Mario Odyssey a while back at a store, kind of fell in love with it after three minutes. Bought a Switch just so I could play it. Now I'm obsessed with it. Open world games have never really been my thing, but this is still super fun. The switching between 2D and 3D is neat. I'm well after beating the evil rabbit things on the Moon and it's still a bit too easy, but that's the only problem I have so far. Metro City is cool.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

IIRC the game is pretty easy just to get through beating the story. The post-game stuff is where the challenge mainly lies from what I hear.

Honestly though even when it was easy I thought it was a ton of fun.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I don't know if I'm at the post-game part or still just in the regular game part. I'm getting all the moon shards or whatever that fell after the moon exploded. This is like my second go-around on all the kingdoms.

But yeah I'm pretty much addicted now.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Still haven't started Odyssey yet even though we bought it along with our Switch. Didn't want to be in the middle of too many things all at once; so will start it after we either finish Baba is You or Unraveled 2.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

We bought Odyssey because it's a 2 player game, but the 2 player mode is shit. It turned us off completely, and neither my wife or I have spent more than a couple minutes on single player.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

We didn't know Odyssey had a 2 player option until after we bought it; so no worry there. We play through a bunch of 1 player stuff together; taking turns on the controller and making decisions together.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Ok so I got all the coins and moons everywhere and I beat Bowser again. Is that it? Am I just done now?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Ok so I got all the coins and moons everywhere and I beat Bowser again. Is that it? Am I just done now?
If you got all 880 moons or whatever then yeah I guess you're done.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Lol oh. Well, it was nice.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Finally started Odyssey today. Fun so far. I don't think we'll be doing 2 player; it's a neat idea, but feels too much like a "2 players, 1 controller" type thing that you see sometimes at speed run events. Not great.

The "story moons" thing is a bit confusing; like to get past the sand world we needed to collect 16 moons; yet there was also always one main "objective"... but as far as I can tell, that main objective was no more important than any other moon. We got 16 moons without doing the story objectives just to see; and indeed we were able to leave to the next area. We went back to beat the boss; but still don't even know if that was required for anything.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

116 or so moons in... loving Odyssey.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

“Beat" the game! Scare quotes because the end of the game seems like just the beginning...
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

DEADLY PREMONITION 2 ANNOUNCED HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK ITS FINALLY HAPPENING

Ahem.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Like a bajillion SNES games coming to Switch tomorrow.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:DEADLY PREMONITION 2 ANNOUNCED HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK ITS FINALLY HAPPENING

Ahem.
So what is that and why is it big news?

Haven't had a chance to watch the Direct yet; will later tonight.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Deadly Premonition came out in 2010 and was basically Twin Peaks Fanfiction: The Video Game. It was janky as hell but really charming and fun. A true cult classic.

To get a sequel kind of out nowhere a decade later is just really exciting to me.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Ok so I got all the coins and moons everywhere and I beat Bowser again. Is that it? Am I just done now?
Did you buy all the costumes? That's a part of completing the game you could do other than moons and purple coins. Also getting your total moons to 999; which requires buying a bunch from shops.

I have 2 moons left... Darker Side; which is a fun and challenging platforming level so far, and one on the Moon that I want a hint for:

I have the in-game hints of both the title and location... "Fly to the treasure chest and back". But even with that name and the location hint; we can't figure out at all how to get it or where it is. Does anyone have a hint that doesn't actually give it a way; but will nudge us in the right direction? There's one treasure chest we know about on the Moon; we've gotten the moon from inside that. But don't know of anything you can capture that lets you fly.

*Edit* I googled it and just quickly glanced at the results. I see the more general area we need to be looking in now.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

And, done.

Thinking Overcooked 2 comes next.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

York, come on man.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Seriously York is trying to troll me specifically at this point.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I don't think I knew that The Island was Michael Bay. Also, what the heck is this game?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Deadly Premonition 2 is a murder mystery game* with elements of open world and survival horror thrown in. It's also janky as hell. Like Deadly Premonition 1 was already super janky (Prompting jokes about how the original Xbox 360 game was "the best Dreamcast game ever made"), but DP2 has taken it to new "We struggle to reach 13 frames per second during gameplay" levels. They're still pretty fun though- the characters are charmingly strange and while DP1 was basically Twin Peaks fanfiction, DP2 seems to take a lot of influence from season 1 of True Detective.

FWIW the original game received a janky Switch port, and right now DP2 is a Switch exclusive. DP2 also assumes you've played the first game.

*Part of the solving the mystery in DP2 involves going down to a local bowling alley and getting a strike, so you can get a mystical vision from a skeletal shaman man about where to investigate next. That's the kind of game this is.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Are all of these things actually just bugs though? How does a game that buggy get released onto something like the Switch?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

For the most part they're not bugs from what I understand, its just generally poor performance. There is a patch planned to address what they can, but you also have to realize that DP2 is still ultimately a third party budget title, and probably on the lower end of budgets at that (And like, Toybox Inc. is hardly any kind of big name as far as third parties go). I doubt DP2 got much actual support from Nintendo at all. So to some extent you really shouldn't expect the QA you would get on first party titles like Animal Crossing or Zelda or honestly even stuff like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade 2, though even with the lowered bar this much jank is a bit surprising.

The tradeoff though is that these kind of games get the kind of creative freedom that first party games with way more money invested in them usually don't get. Like Deadly Premonition 2 might be the first game on a Nintendo console to feature a character just straight up smoking marijuana.

It does seem like a lot of other third party developers are looking to develop for the Switch now though, which makes me think you're going to see more of this kind of thing in the future. I know the Switch port of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night also had a lot of problems too with running smoothly, though my own PS4 copy ran fine.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Since this is the Switch thread; I'll say that I've been playing Celeste the past week. It's great! Just a lot of fun platforming, with a good increasing difficulty.

Also played through Mario + Rabbids. The battle system is a lot of fun; though it's missing a better world outside of the battles. We beat the game; but are still finishing up some of the extra co-op and optional challenges.