Nintendo Switch

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

Nintendo Switch

Post by Gendo »

Now that information about the Switch is out; I'm buying a Wii U soon. I was holding out for the NX, but apparently it won't be backwards compatible.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I understood roughly a quarter of that.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just ordered the Wii U. Nintendo's way of selling that is really annoying... they have about 6 different "editions", each that comes with different games, and different skins on the controller and console itself. Only 1 of them seems to be "current" in terms of the ability to buy a new one, and it's Mario Kart 8, which I don't care about. I found a Nintendo-refurbished one on Ebay that has Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land, which was a great deal.

Now I just need to find both Zeldas, Mario Maker, and Smash Bros for cheap.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So anyone here get a Switch? Breath of the Wild?

I just got Breath of the Wild for Wii U. Won't get to play it until Friday.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

The Wii U never had enough exclusives for me to be interested, and the Switch doesn't look to be any different.

I heard Breath of the Wild was quite good though, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 2017 has been a pretty great year for games so far.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Kuribo4
Regular

Post by Kuribo4 »

I love my Switch, I just think for more people to jump in, it needs to be cheaper.
Regardless of what Nintendo says, it is a handheld.
And with Scorpio coming out, PS4 will just get cheaper.

Mario 3D World is amazing btw.
I love that game so much.
Most people who complain about it hate it for it not being an exploration/adventure type game.
But that is the point. It is a fast paced, linear platformer like the Mario Bros games, just in a 3D environment.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

As a HUGE fan of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, I was a bit disappointed by Mario 3D World. I suppose part of it is because I was expecting a Galaxy-like game, and it really is a different play style. And the story was much worse too, in that there was basically no story, compared to the little bit of story Galaxy had.

But it's not bad; it just took getting used to. My wife and I have now beaten the whole game, and plan to at least finish all the other levels we skipped previously, with all stars and stamps. Though I understand that some stamps can only be gotten by beating every level with each of the 5 characters, and that sounds tedious and unfun.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I tried the Mario Universe thing and immediately hated it, but I love the 3D world. It's like Kuribo said, it's just like their other platformers but with a 3D environment, which adds a lot of options to the gameplay. I've never played a platformer for its story.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

BruceSmith78 wrote:I tried the Mario Universe thing and immediately hated it, but I love the 3D world. It's like Kuribo said, it's just like their other platformers but with a 3D environment, which adds a lot of options to the gameplay. I've never played a platformer for its story.
Do you mean Galaxy? Otherwise I don't know what Mario Universe is.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Sorry, yeah, I probably mean galaxy. You would get on a rocket and fly to this planet where nothing would happen. It was kinda like a less exciting version of Mario 64.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'm not sure if you mean Galaxy or not... there were no rocket ships to get to levels.

Galaxy, a Wii game, had a small world with several observatories on it that was the overworld, replacing the castle from Mario 64. In an observatory, you could choose the level to go to; there were a few Galaxies per observatory, and a few levels per Galaxy. Inside a level, you had something like a Mario 64 level, except gravity was a big theme; the ground wasn't heavily curved; a series of very small planets; and as you ran around gravity would keep you pulled to the center of the planet.

There were some motion controls, but not a main part of it. You could shake the Wii mote to spin as an attack or to get extra height on a jump. You could point at the screen to collect star bits which you could then shoot at stuff.

Anyway, Galaxy is quite popular and well-received (9.7 from IGN). So certainly possible it's the one you're thinking of, but you'd be in a minority on your opinion.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

That's probably the one, but I thought I remembered a rocket ship. I remember flying to this little planet that had like nothing to do. Maybe I got there through a telescope beam. There was probably a puzzle to solve or something. This was like 5 or 6 years ago and I played for about ten minutes and said fuck it, so my memory can't be trusted. The only thing I can be sure of is I didn't like it.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Well if you're one for second chances, I'd recommend trying it again. As I said, that's not just my opinion, in general it's considered a really great game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I wasn't huge into the Galaxy games myself. I played Mario Galaxy 1 until I got all of the stars as Mario and then was just done with the game. Played like an hour of Galaxy 2 and thought it was just more of the same and then dropped it forever. Neither game seemed nearly as inventive as 64 or Sunshine did to me.
Last edited by Raxivace on Sat May 06, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I played Mario Galaxy 2 a few years ago and it made me realize even more that video games are probably not for me. It was supposed to be one of the greatest video games in history, but I just thought it was all right. Some parts of it were cool, I guess, but in general I didn't see what the big deal was. It's pretty fun with two people, but that halves the difficulty level. The green stars were also dumb.

That being said I sort of want to get that Switch thing just for the new Mario Kart game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Video games are pretty vast and diverse- I know a ton of people that would never in a million years call a 3D Mario game one of the best games ever made.

Gaming still might not be your thing of course, but it doesn't quite have an accepted canon in the way that film or literature (Or even television tbh) does. All "best ever" lists should be taken with a bigger grain salt than other mediums.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

For me, as a fan of adventure games and good stories with interesting characters, Witcher 3 is the best video game ever.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Blade Azaezel wrote:For me, as a fan of adventure games and good stories with interesting characters, Witcher 3 is the best video game ever.
Absolutely. For me, Witcher 3 set a new bar for an immersive, absorbing gaming experience with its dense, mythological universe, an intriguing, sprawling narrative that forces the gamer to confront the horrors of decision making in a world where there are no 'correct' decisions, a cast of compelling, complex characters and some beautiful, stunning visuals. I've poured in 200+ hours into the game (including the expansions) and I plan to go back soon.

How does Zelda hold up against Witcher 3 for you?
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote: All "best ever" lists should be taken with a bigger grain salt than other mediums.
So when do you think the gazillion 'best ever' lists out there will begin to resemble each other? In our lifetime...?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just checked and found out that we have about 83 hours of Zelda time currently... and we're not even close to halfway done.
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

I'm planning to return to the Witcher in the coming weeks, especially not they're planning a tv series on Netflix. I'm also glad to hear they'll be working on a Witcher 4, even if it won't feature Geralt and isn't going to see release for a few years.

Never actually played a Zelda game because i didn't have the appropriate console.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Witcher 4?!?! First time I'm hearing about it. Seems like a reversal of the position the developers were earlier taking about there be no more Witcher. If they can match or come close to Wild Hunt though, I'm game! (no pun intended)

I don't know how the Netflix show will hold up against the gaming masterpieces, but I'll watch them either way, if only as an excuse to dive into the Witcher lore once again.

I'm tempted to finally cave in and get a Switch to see what the fuss is all about with this Zelda game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:
Raxivace wrote: All "best ever" lists should be taken with a bigger grain salt than other mediums.
So when do you think the gazillion 'best ever' lists out there will begin to resemble each other? In our lifetime...?
I don't think it will happen to be honest. Not because games are constantly getting better, but in general I think people writing about games just don't have much of a sense of history (Beyond fetishized memories of their own childhood), don't actually think critically about them very well (If they're trying to do so at all), and in general put so much stock into judging games by crap like their own expectations and review scores (A la IGN giving Twilight Princess an 8.8. So many people lost their shit at seeing the number 8.8 on their computer screen) instead of what games are actually doing or trying to do.

People play games for a lot of different reasons too, and that makes the comparisons necessary to make such a list difficult, if not outright meaningless. What common ground does someone big into otome games, for example, have with someone that exclusively plays popular first person shooters like Call of Duty? How do you compare such different things like that?
Blade Azaezel
Ultra Poster

Post by Blade Azaezel »

CD Projekt Red's chief was apparently on Polish TV and started that, basically, they'd spent 12 years in the Witcher world and it would be a shame to leave it. But they're planning to finish Cyberpunk first. They need to do a great job on the casting, or the show is just going to fail. My choice is Til Schweiger. He has a suitable look for Geralt, but they'll likely go for someone young and more handsome, then try to make him look meaner.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I don't think it will happen to be honest. Not because games are constantly getting better, but in general I think people writing about games just don't have much of a sense of history (Beyond fetishized memories of their own childhood), don't actually think critically about them very well (If they're trying to do so at all), and in general put so much stock into judging games by crap like their own expectations and review scores (A la IGN giving Twilight Princess an 8.8. So many people lost their shit at seeing the number 8.8 on their computer screen) instead of what games are actually doing or trying to do.

People play games for a lot of different reasons too, and that makes the comparisons necessary to make such a list difficult, if not outright meaningless. What common ground does someone big into otome games, for example, have with someone that exclusively plays popular first person shooters like Call of Duty? How do you compare such different things like that?
Well-said, all of this, and I quite agree about the often lopsided reviewing standards when it comes to games. I suppose there will be separate lists for each type of game genre(?), but it does seem less and less likely that there will be an accepted canon of masterpieces as in other mediums.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I thought about splitting it by genre too, and while I think that works better there are still issues. Take RPG's- you could have people super into JRPGs but not WRPG's like The Wichter or Fallout 3. A JRPG fan might be a fan of turn based games but not at all like action RPG's like Kingdom Hearts or Dark Souls or Tales. Another fan of turn based RPG's might prefer the ATB system of classic Final Fantasy games and the like but dislike grid based strategy RPG games like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars. You'd better believe both of those franchises have fans split in their opinions on them too and what the series should be, though at least comparison is somewhat sensible on this magnified level.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I thought about splitting it by genre too, and while I think that works better there are still issues. Take RPG's- you could have people super into JRPGs but not WRPG's like The Wichter or Fallout 3. A JRPG fan might be a fan of turn based games but not at all like action RPG's like Kingdom Hearts or Dark Souls or Tales. Another fan of turn based RPG's might prefer the ATB system of classic Final Fantasy games and the like but dislike grid based strategy RPG games like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars. You'd better believe both of those franchises have fans split in their opinions on them too and what the series should be, though at least comparison is somewhat sensible on this magnified level.
So... loads of lists?

Man, I'm not even familiar with half of the games you've mentioned there. [laugh]
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Blade Azaezel wrote:CD Projekt Red's chief was apparently on Polish TV and started that, basically, they'd spent 12 years in the Witcher world and it would be a shame to leave it. But they're planning to finish Cyberpunk first. They need to do a great job on the casting, or the show is just going to fail. My choice is Til Schweiger. He has a suitable look for Geralt, but they'll likely go for someone young and more handsome, then try to make him look meaner.
Yeah, they will likely go with someone younger. Apart from the acting, which undoubtedly has to be fantastic, they also need to make sure they retain the game's oft-bleak tone and its morally complex universe. In other words, they need to stick with what makes the Witcher work as a game while also being unafraid to truly adapt and mold it to fit the small screen visually.

Cyberpunk should be great, though.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:So... loads of lists?

Man, I'm not even familiar with half of the games you've mentioned there. [laugh]
I tried to use multiple examples in each category for a reason lol.

Loads of lists is maybe the best way if you really wanted to maintain a "canon"- but like we were saying that's very different than the "canons" of other mediums. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same as those though I guess.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Anyways this is all a very convoluted way of saying that genre distinction probably matters a bit more in games than books or movies.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Indeed.

(Gendo, sorry for derailing your thread about the Nintendo Switch. [laugh])
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

At the very least the next Fire Emblem game is coming out on the Switch next year, and right now its the only game on the system I have any interest in.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:At the very least the next Fire Emblem game is coming out on the Switch next year, and right now its the only game on the system I have any interest in.
Hahah. Maybe I should delete my post and hope he didn't notice?

On a serious note, you're not interested in this Zelda game? One of my friends claims it's so good that he hasn't been able to stop playing since he started. (Then again, he never finished Witcher 3, so he probably shouldn't be trusted.)
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

lol, I don't think this thread was ever on the switch rail. Even my first post was about getting a Wii U soon. Then Mario stuff, Zelda stuff... not much of a Switch discussion (with exactly 1 forum member actually owning a Switch it seems).
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:On a serious note, you're not interested in this Zelda game? One of my friends claims it's so good that he hasn't been able to stop playing since he started. (Then again, he never finished Witcher 3, so he probably shouldn't be trusted.)
I haven't been able to finish a Zelda game since Twilight Princess came out a decade ago, and I didn't really like that game much. Zelda games just don't seem to hold my attention very well anymore for whatever reason.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I can't say for sure what playing BotW would be like as a non-Zelda fan, considering I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I can say that this game is drastically different in many ways from every other Zelda game.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I dunno that I would say I'm a non-Zelda fan, since there are definitely Zelda games I like a lot. Majora's Mask is easily one of my favorite games ever (And frankly I find it baffling that outside of like visual novels more games didn't rip off its ingenious time loop structure), and I have a huge appreciation for what Ocarina of Time did for 3D combat, particularly in games with sword-and-shield setups like that. Wind Waker was also pretty dope.

Twilight Princess just didn't land for me though, I absolutely hated the controls for Phantom Hourglass, and I couldn't get more than a hour through Skyward Sword. I actually remember liking Minish Cap and playing through most of it, but I never got to the very end for whatever reason. I remember digging Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages as a kid but getting stuck in all three. I kind of liked Four Swords Adventures but my disk got scratched bad and I just flatout couldn't finish it. The NES Zelda and Link to the Past never grabbed me. I kind of remember liking the combat in Zelda 2 but only played it a few times at a friend's house as a child.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Now 150 hours into Breath of the Wild.... by far the most time I've ever spent on any game. Getting somewhat close to done by most measures... though getting 100% will require a whole lot of just Korok seed hunting at the end; we have exactly 25% of them now.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Hey Gendo and Kuribo- Does the Switch have backwards comparability with the Wii U catalogue?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:Hey Gendo and Kuribo- Does the Switch have backwards comparability with the Wii U catalogue?
Read the OP. [razz]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I wasn't sure if that line in the OP was only speculation or not. :(
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ah no. I made that OP right after Nintendo announced the details of the Switch, including the fact hat it wouldn't be backwards compatible with the Wii U. This announcement caused us to go buy a Wii U rather than wait for the Switch.

Wii U uses discs, while the Switch uses cartridges. So backwards compatibility wouldn't be possible. (Although both systems have the ability to get games from digital download instead of physical media).
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

That's a real shame to hear. The Wii U had 1 or 2 games I was interested in, and if I could play those in addition to the 1 or 2 Switch games I was interested in on the Switch, that would have probably been enough for me to just bite the bullet and get the system.

Oh well.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah, I bought a Wii U for Mario Maker, Smash Brothers, both Zelda HD remakes, and the new Zelda. That's all I cared about. The Switch would have only had one of those. Though Mario Odyssey will probably be great.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Fuckin' Mario Odyssey swayed me and made me decide to impulse buy a Switch, but the Switch itself won't be here for over a week. :(

Fuck you Mario, making me want to buy your video games and system.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

At least now you can get BotW.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I'll probably pick BotW up now, though I've promised maz that I'll play Witcher 3 first.

Still hoping they figure out a way to port some of those Wii U exclusives over to the Switch.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

My Switch came in today. I played some Mario Odyssey and its really cool- I'm particularly enjoying the switch (heh) between 3D platforming and the classic 2D sections.

In general Odyssey feels more like a follow up to 64 and Sunshine than what I played of the Galaxy games ever did. It's really fun.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Been playing Sunshine for the first time. And wow that game is trolly. It's hard in good ways, but there's also some difficulty that's not good... like places where you might go the wrong way and have no choice but to kill yourself, but it still let you go that way. Or places where you have to spend several minutes waiting for boats to come by just so you can make an attempt at a hard level (and if you fail that attempt, you wait for the boats again).

I like the exploration and platforming. Probably don't like it as much as Galaxy or 64 though.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I do definitely remember some of that in Sunshine. Still, I thought the weird stuff you could do with FLUDD was fun and made for some good challenges.

The special challenge areas where you don't get FLUDD at all and just have to rely on pure platforming are also fun- Odyssey seems to have its own version of those levels too.